SIGforum
Ruger LCRx in 9mm...looking for opinions.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2970045164

September 30, 2019, 03:03 PM
bcjwriter
Ruger LCRx in 9mm...looking for opinions.
I’m considering getting one of these. Does anyone have any experience with them?

September 30, 2019, 03:35 PM
craigcpa
Had one, but personal opinion led me away from it: revolvers aren’t meant for moon clips. Give a .38/.357 all day long in a revolver. Willing to try a .327, too. But for 9mm I’ll tick to autos.

Mine was very manageable, and totally reliable, but having to worry about bending moon clips, or carving out single shells, i just decided to get rid of it. Overall, it was a nice pistol.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫
September 30, 2019, 04:26 PM
SSAreGreat
38 Special/357 Magnum makes life a lot easier with a revolver.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!
September 30, 2019, 05:38 PM
V-Tail
I had an LCR (not LCRx) in 9mm.

I could not find any ammunition that worked right in it.

Problem was, the last one or two rounds in the cylinder, the bullet walked forward in the case.

This happened with cheap range junk like Winchester White Box and Federal. It happened with "quality" ammunition like Speer Gold Dot.

It happened with my reloads, even with the crimp die cranked down pretty far.

I was not able to find any ammunition that worked!

One of the Federal loads did more than have the bullet walk forward a bit -- after firing four of the five rounds in the cylinder I opened the cylinder to remove the fifth round and measure the OAL. When I opened the cylinder, the bullet from this round fell out, followed by a bunch of powder, leaving an empty case in the cylinder.

Before you buy one, download the owners' manual from the Ruger website and look at the caution note, re the problem of bullets walking forward.

I sold the revolver to a SIGforum member, with full disclosure of the problem, a few years ago. I have not heard anything from him, so it's possible that he found a solution to the problem, or maybe he tried a brand of ammunition that I had not tried, and it worked.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 30, 2019, 08:33 PM
Sunset_Va
Get the LCR x in 327 Federal Magnum instead.
More versatile , and less finaggling with moon clips and such.

I had one 9mm revolver that used moon clips, never again.

Rather have a Charter Arms 9mm revolver that doesn't need moonclips if I were to get another 9mm revolver.

美しい犬
September 30, 2019, 09:14 PM
ruger357
I was also kicking around getting one. Y’all scared me off.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
October 01, 2019, 05:44 PM
CQB60
Have you considered it in 327 instead?

October 01, 2019, 05:54 PM
VictimNoMore
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Get the LCR x in 327 Federal Magnum instead.

Problem solved, right there. Big Grin
October 03, 2019, 07:03 AM
92fstech
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I was also kicking around getting one. Y’all scared me off.

I am kinda in the same boat. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I really want a 9mm revolver, specifically a SP101 or Six-series in 9mm. Other things have taken precedence, but I keep coming back to the idea. Reading this thread makes me think it might be a better idea to go with the Blackhawk convertible...
October 04, 2019, 09:33 AM
NK402
I have one in .38 spl. It kicks like a mule even with low-recoil ammo. If you must have one, I would go for the .327 as it has a wide variety of calibers it will shoot, some with low recoil.
October 04, 2019, 10:37 AM
Dtech
For something that will be significantly more durable and pleasant to shoot due to the extra weight and stainless steel construction, check out the SP101 in 9mm. They are currently available at some good prices.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling
October 04, 2019, 03:54 PM
Stroonz
I had one; last two rounds in cylinder would have bullets walk forward of the case. Recoil was horrible I had to load my normal .3.7 Titegroup down to 3.0 for recoil to be tolerable
October 06, 2019, 10:41 PM
Plasteek
I've got 720 rounds through mine with no problems. I've shot mainly Fiocchi 115 grain and Blazer Brass, Speer Lawman and American Eagle in 124 grain.