SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cycle through or out with the old and in with the new?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cycle through or out with the old and in with the new? Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

For those of you who have multiples of the same pistol. Do you use one until it is in need of repair and have the others just as back ups, or do you use them all equally?

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
A primary carry G19, a training G19, and a spare G19.

I got my primary to about 2500 rds and now it just gets shot every 6 months or so. The training G19 gets beat on (but nothing has broken).

The spare G19 has 500+ rounds and is vetted; if one of the other 2 went hard down / lost / stolen, it would step in to either position.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have multiples of my chosen platform (HK P2000) not so much for having a spare but for being able to have them set up for different roles without me having to move them around or remove / re affix lights etc. so I have a bed side one, another HD one a carry one. Etc. all see some rounds through them and all act as potential backups.

So I guess for me I rotate through.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I try to spread the round count around fairly equally.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have multiples and tend to keep it pretty even. They’re broken in pretty well, all set up the same.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Rhino’s solution is the best. However, I just tend to buy spares and shoot one to death. Realistically I have never shit one to death though. Changed some parts but that is all. I like have a basically brand new gun or two sitting safely in the safe. If one went hard down and I hadn’t vetted the new one yet I would just switch to a different style gun. I’m not wedded to anyone in particular. Glock, Sig320, MP they all do the same for me within acceptable margins in my hands.

Edited to add. On my spare Glocks I changed out the standard parts I change out, even on the unfired one. Mainly mag release and slide release. Kept stock trigger but I prefer those other parts by a wide margin

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Yes, I like Rhino's modus operandi.

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
A primary carry G19, a training G19, and a spare G19.

I got my primary to about 2500 rds and now it just gets shot every 6 months or so. The training G19 gets beat on (but nothing has broken).

The spare G19 has 500+ rounds and is vetted; if one of the other 2 went hard down / lost / stolen, it would step in to either position.

That is a good idea. I may implement it.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I have multiples of my chosen platform (HK P2000) not so much for having a spare but for being able to have them set up for different roles without me having to move them around or remove / re affix lights etc. so I have a bed side one, another HD one a carry one. Etc. all see some rounds through them and all act as potential backups.

So I guess for me I rotate through.

This is what I do with my G17s

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post