New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger LCP II Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I’m thinking of getting my mom one but have never shot one. She is in her late 60s, petite and has problems with recoil. I’m thinking she may like my beretta 21A .22 but she likes the looks of the LCP II.

Thoughts? How’s the recoil?

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have one, but am used to recoil, it is snappy like most small pistols.

I would be more concerned about the trigger as it is much lighter than the previous LCP's.

However, if your Mom is safety conscious, and doesn't store it or carry it haphazardly, its a great pistol.

Install one of the new Hogue Beavertail grip sleeves on it, and that will help lots with the grip and recoil.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
LCP recoil is snappy - I have an original but can't imagine the LCP II is any better. It's just the physics of a small, lightweight pistol firing a centerfire round.

I doubt she will like it.

I'd look for a 4" 38 special revolver. Easy to load, the weight soaks up the recoil and you can light load it as well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Never shot the II, but snappy is the exact word I'd use for the LCP.
Maybe a G42 as an alternate?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
and you can light load it as well.

What do you mean light load it?

BTW I have a 3inch S&W the recoil isn't light. My GF thought she wanted a 38 revolver and after shooting mine didn't want one anymore. She has a Sig P238. Which recoils significantly less than a LCP.

The Glock G42 may be another good choice.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest the P238 with the steel frame. Soaks up recoil. Slide is easy to retract.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tiny slide on the lcp can make chambering a round difficult if there are any hand strength issues your mom has to contend with. And while recoil is a bit snappy, I’d rather shoot 50 rounds through the lcp than the same amount through an airweight 38 j-frame.

Posts: 124 | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
If recoil is an issue I'd consider a Glock 42 as Sparkyk suggested. My wife has one and recoil is very mild.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"What gun for my wife/girlfriend/mother/etc" has been the topic of many discussions. It sounds like your mom is not familiar with guns, and IMO the LCP II (or any semi) is not for her.

You don't have a lot of good options, but a 38 (LEO trade-ins are cheaper) or an eight shot LCR-22 might work for her.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Thanks everyone.

Hopefully you haven't purchased it already, you need to Check out this thread first before you pull the trigger.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A small .380 is NOT a good choice for someone who "has problems with recoil".

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless she is going to carry it...why consider such puny guns? Hard to hold, hard to shoot, hard to retract the slides...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a LCPII that went back to Ruger twice and they finally they replaced it because of defects. I'm sure there's some good ones out there.

I liked it but being honest I was scared carrying it. Especially in my wallet holster. I don't need anymore holes back there.
The regular LCP are a D/A where the LCP II's are fully cocked S/A's and the only safety I'm aware of is that trigger bar safety. They do have a better trigger but!
I know if my mother was still alive I wouldn't give her a LCPII or my wife for that matter.
Ruger at my request gave me a Custom LCP instead and I feel allot safer carrying it in my wallet holster. I would suggest you let your mom shoot a LCP and see if she can handle the recoil before you go lay money out for a LCP or if you insist a LCPII. Good luck with whatever you decide on for her.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I have encouraged her about a .22. What little she does know, she said she wants something beefier. She does have a carry permit and said that she intends to carry. I figured the LCP II was small would fit her hands. I have not purchased one yet.

I think for her, my Beretta 21A 22lr would be better after more thought.

She does not want a big gun and she has small hands.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

...I think for her, my Beretta 21A 22lr would be better after more thought.

She does not want a big gun and she has small hands.

Are you sure a semi - even a mild 22LR (with frequent misfires) - is right for her?

I had this issue with Mrs Sigmund, her HD gun is the Ruger LCR-22, eight shots of 22LR in a mild gun she's comfortable with. Yeah, the trigger is a little heavy, but she can deal with that. Her "reload" in the drawer under the LCR is a light frame LEO trade 38 with lightly loaded (by a pal) wadcutters.

There is no perfect gun for our womenfolk.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
I'd suggest the P238 with the steel frame. Soaks up recoil. Slide is easy to retract.

^^^ What he said. ^^^

Sure, it will cost more, but it should work better over all. Recoil shouldn't be as bad as a LCPII and she may be more willing to practice with it a few times. If the P238 is out of the desired price range, a Glock 42 would be a good candidate also.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others. The LCP and LCPII have a pretty decent smack to the hand. I friend just bought his non-shooting wife one and can't figure out why she can't hit anything. I'm sure she's jerking the trigger in anticipation to the recoil.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Smith 351PD is the answer to her problem. Small, light, safe, 7 shots, easy to shoot, and look up the .22 mag v. .380 in ballistics gel tests.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the LCP II, but the LCP's kick and roar is noticeable, more so with the hot Perfecta ammo, and this is to hands that have been doing manual labor almost 40 years. I don't think it a good choice for a new shooter. And a petite lady may not have the finger strength to pull the double-action trigger of a revolver.

For the really recoil-shy, why not a .22? Something like one of the Ruger 22/45's, perhaps the 22/45 Lite, shouldn't be too heavy, and I wouldn't want to stand in front of 11 .22s.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post