SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 29 SF vs. Gen 4 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 29 SF vs. Gen 4 29 Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
From what I can gather, it looks like the slim frame G29 is more of a “Gen 3”, while the Gen 4 G29 has a larger mag release and slightly longer reach from a larger grip. Are there any other major differences I’m missing? Any reason to not look at a SF version?

Thanks all

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
A Gen 4 with no back strap installed would be equivalent to a SF model.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
So it’s just the mag release size that’s different? I guess that and the Gen 4’s come with three mags..

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Grip texture is different too. Gen 4s have a more aggressive texture than the Gen 3s. Gen 4s also have interchangeable backstraps, if needed.

There were some other tweaks with the Gen 4s, like the inclusion of dual recoil spring assemblies on all models, but the G29 has always had dual recoil springs, even on the Gen 3s.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very good.. I actually prefer the grip texture on the gen 3 or “SF” G29. Things like recoil springs, etc were what I was hoping were the same.

posted Hide Post
I have a G29SF. Definitely not slim.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not slim frame so much as short frame. It reduces the trigger reach. Roughly equivalent side to side chunkiness.

I like the SF (and gen 4 with no backstrap) models.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes; the SF stands for short frame, backstrap to trigger. The Generation 4 with no backstrap is the same dimension as the SF frame, and the grows larger with successive backstraps. I keep all my Gen 4 glocks with no backstrap.

In the larger Gen 3 Glocks (eg, G20, G21, G29, G30, etc), I prefer the SF models or a Gen 4.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have the SF and it’s comfy to me.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
G29SF is an excellent choice. Not all that thick for city and with shoulder holster in the woods it's all I need. Even with Underwood ammo recoil is very manageable

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post