SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    “I’ve never shot a Glock but handled many. They just feel wrong in the hand.”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“I’ve never shot a Glock but handled many. They just feel wrong in the hand.” Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I’ve seen this or heard this so many times. I used to say it, myself. And then one day, at the range with a buddy, I was handed a Gen 3 G20 with a full mag and told “have at.” I almost declined, having no interest in shooting a Gluck, but had never shot a 10mm before, and well... 10mm.

I remember my internal dialog was along the lines of “yuck... same crappy grip angle, feels like a brick... I could be shooting my West German P220 right now instead... these sights are awful....” And then something amazing happened. I lined up the ball in the bucket, and pressed the trigger. Tagged the X at 7 yards. “Ok, still feels like crap.” Halfway through the fifteen rounds, it was one ragged hole and I was miffed that it was so easy to shoot. When the slide locked back, I had a bitter grin on my face, as I shot my best group of the day with a bone-stock Glock that put my best work with my carry Sigs to absolute shame. The recoil impulse even seemed easier to deal with.

A few weeks later, I decided to do some science. I didn’t just want to accept the fact that I shot these plastic turd guns better than I shot my P220 or custom P229 with a butter-smooth trigger job. So I went to a rental range that had a dozen choices of black plastic in 9mm and shot them all. CZ’s, H&K’s, you name it. I spent the afternoon actually trying to objectively determine how I did with each one. Hands down, far and away, in their own category of shootability and accuracy were the Glocks. I shot the 17 the best, followed by the 26 (though I hated how it pinched me between the frame and the mag baseplate) and then the 19. I also brought my Sigs to bolster my suppositions, which were hopelessly dashed. A few weeks later, I started selling off Sigs and decided to split the difference in shootabilty and carry comfort and snagged a NIB Gen 2 19. The Sigs all turned into Glock 9mm’s in the following year.

So if you have handled Glocks and decided that they feel wrong in the hand and stopped there, you’re only getting part of the picture, and not the important part, at that. Go shoot one, or shoot several. Different generations give a different experience, so I’ve you’ve shot one you haven’t “shot them all.” I lucked into a Gen 1 17 that has a stock trigger that is unbelievable, and light years better than the one in the Gen 4 19 I carry. The proof is in the shooting, and until you’ve done that, you haven’t proved anything to yourself. I got dragged into the Glock camp not reluctantly, but kicking and screaming the whole way.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yup... My first time shooting one I didn't like the feel at all. Put a mag through it, set it down and didn't shoot one again for years. Then one day my buddy convinced me to pick up a G19 just because everyone should own one, and it was a good price. I took it with me to the Ayoob LFI pistol class and fell in love. I shot it great, it was cheap, parts and mags were cheap, it shot great, I beat the shit out of it and it never failed and I think I mentioned I shot it great.

They multiplied quickly in my safe after that.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My G19 gen 5 has the best "right out of the box" trigger I have ever seen on a stock Glock.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You will buy a Glock. Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I use to feel that way about government 1911s. When I tried one with beaver tail, palm swell, and the rest of the updates I was hooked. Can’t hate em if you don’t shoot em. Love my G30.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a real fan of the Glock. But I have owned several. Why? They work. They are bargains when you find them used. They are easily set up to your preferences. Mags are cheap.
They do everything well.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

And wouldn't you know it, I was one of the dumbasses who posted "Nope, not me, not ever" in that very thread somewhere back under the 200 page mark. I then went back and ate crow and admitted the error of my ways. Wink

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I remember my internal dialog was along the lines of “yuck... same crappy grip angle, feels like a brick... these sights are awful....”

I had the same internal dialogue. After firing my one friend's 2nd gen 23 and my other buddy's 3rd gen 19 multiple times, I STILL feel that way! I agree that they're well-made, accurate sidearms, but I still say, BLECH! I can get tighter groups with my P229. Razz

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
......So if you have handled Glocks and decided that they feel wrong in the hand and stopped there, you’re only getting part of the picture, and not the important part, at that. Go shoot one, or shoot several.....The proof is in the shooting, and until you’ve done that, you haven’t proved anything to yourself......

Aha! A kindred spirit! Smile See my post re subjective "feel":

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...770019944#5770019944

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

"Nope, not me, not ever" Wink

Same here. I couldn't stop at 'a' Glock. More like five or so with all kinds of parts to swap out just because they didn't come that way.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
We aren’t all the same my man. I bought 2 different sets of them at two different times and sold off my other pistols to force me to use them solely. Each set of them lasted 2 years. And each time that’s all I had in the safe for pistols. First set was a 17/19/26, then the next and final set I went full boar, 34/17/19/26/43. Trust me I put the effort and money into them. Magazines, night sights, holsters, you name it. And I’m a magazine whore. Until I have 20+ for each firearm daddy isn’t happy. Thankfully I recouped most of my money selling everything but I still have a few holsters left. I put thousands of rounds through them. Round count or range time wasn’t the problem.

In the end, I’m just a hammer guy and prefer DA/SA. A G23 was my first pistol in the early 90’s and it didn’t last long either. I got that first hammer and everything clicked for me. And thankfully now I’m running all hammers again. Good thing is now if I had to use a Glock for some reason I know how to shoot it very well, know how to take the entire thing apart (cannot do that with my hammers), etc. I think the design is probably the best for simplicity and operation we have ever seen but there are enough of us hammer people who will go to the grave with a different preference in pistols. My long guns all have safeties and I like a double action first shot on my pistols as well as a decocking lever or button. I love my hammers and they are home. Glock makes one hell of a fucking pistol though, no doubt.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Good God... Sucked into a thread about Glocks. Feel wrong, unattractive & pinch my trigger finger. Studiously avoided the buy a Glock thread & snookered in here wasting time.

More alert now.

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20+ years ago I spot a police trade in 19 (gen2) in a case down in Ft Walton Beach FL. Ugly. Stated so. Guy behind counter gives me half a box of ammo and points me to the indoor range. Yea, I bought it. I can’t fathom not owning some Glocks. No soul but neither does my hammer and both work equally well.

I would never just own glocks but they just plain work.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I ran steel plate shoots at my range for a few years. Many shooters use Glocks, but I either used a Sig or my Beretta (unless it was a .22 match and then I shot my Buckmark).
One guy in particular was crapping all over my choice of firearm. I explained that I chose not to retrain to the grip angle, because with Sig and Beretta, I can basically point shoot at the 15yds we shot at. He didn't accept that, saying he thinks that I just can't shoot a 'real' gun.
He kept goading me, and finally I said "I'll shoot yours, you shoot mine. I've beat you all damned day, if I win again you shut the hell up".
We line up, I overshot the first plate, readjusted and ran the 6 plates in the next 6 shots. He hit 3 of 6 with all 10 rounds.
I handed him his gun back, gave him the 3 rounds left over, and simply said "We good now?" Everyone watching was laughing their butts off.
He packed up and left.

I can shoot glocks. I can shoot them quite well.
I just can't shoot them using my "natural aim", I would have to retrain myself to do it. I choose not to.

Why? It's not worth it to me at this point. I shoot many different guns with a natural aim (Sig, Beretta, 1911, Buckmark, revolver) and its just not worth it to me to trade that in for a singular platform.

I hold nothing against Glocks, they are fine firearms. They just aren't for me.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Gibb has stated it clearly, I can shootem, just not a natural index for me. Owned G17,G19 and have run several G34's on plate racks etc. In almost every case I shoot the Grock better than it's owner. Great guns and better than many out there, but I still don't own one.

Many Glock USPSA shooters will insert fully charged mags only to have it drop out after a either a mag change or loading for the start of a stage. Gotta down load em by 1 round or learn to bump it hard...very hard.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only own one Glock; a Gen 4, Model 19 with the NY Trigger and aftermarket night sights. I really want to like it because when you compare the size, weight, capacity, reliability and simplicity, it really can't be beat. HOWEVER, it doesn't really feel the best in MY hand. IMHO: I am OK with the grip angle, but if they would have made it just a little thinner in the grip, I could work with it. With all that said, I have concealed carried it on many occasions, but it is by far my least carried in favor of other manufactures and platforms. If I had to be restricted to a Glock and "live with it" I could make it work, but fortunately I have other options.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I became aware of Glock back in the ‘80s when they hit the gun mags. I was not impressed with the “all frame, no slide” look and was hooked on 1911s. I did not give them a second thought for years. Fast forward ~4 years ago and I am lurking in my LGS and I absentmindedly picked up a blue gun lazer sight counter display. My first thought was, damn, this feels good, what is it. I rolled it over and saw it was a Glock, probably a G19. I came back within the week and bought my first Glock,it is my constant companion. It just fits my hand, finger groves and all. I draw from holster and I am looking at the front sight through the rear notch. I wish I had found that sooner.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Held plenty, shot plenty...They just feel wrong in the hand...

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
I only own one Glock; a Gen 4, Model 19 with the NY Trigger and aftermarket night sights. I really want to like it because when you compare the size, weight, capacity, reliability and simplicity, it really can't be beat. HOWEVER, it doesn't really feel the best in MY hand. IMHO: I am OK with the grip angle, but if they would have made it just a little thinner in the grip, I could work with it. With all that said, I have concealed carried it on many occasions, but it is by far my least carried in favor of other manufactures and platforms. If I had to be restricted to a Glock and "live with it" I could make it work, but fortunately I have other options.

I always installed the NY Trigger in the Glocks I've owned. Many rail against that trigger setup, but I like it, and I am the one using it.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will never sell my BHP or 1911s because of the Glock, but- I hear you.

I lso thought they felt just wrong. And then I shot one. And I was also amazed at how well I grouped on the target compared to other firearms I've shot/owned.

I now have a couple of Glocks. I still don't like them.

I definitely like my Sig 220 Stainless Elite more.

I prefer almost any of my handguns to the Glock for a lot of reasons- that have nothing to do with accuracy or reliability.

I respect the HECK out of the Glock firearm- but I cannot bring myself to say I like them.

And, I like variety too much to get rid of others for a Glock [so far].

They do work well. In all aspects.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post