SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 92 rehab/upgrade
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 92 rehab/upgrade Login/Join 
posted
Ok, so 30 something years ago my mom and dad bought me my 21st birthday present. Beretta 92F. Loved it but over the years the shine has faded. Replaced by plastic and strikers and more shiny stuff. Well the other forum got me interested in some changes. Beretta also helped out by having a 35% off sale which made some of this much more affordable.

The 92F as you know doesn’t have the large hammer pin to catch the slide when it departs the frame shooting over pressure 9mm SMG rounds or whatever the SEALS were doing so that was step 1. Upgrade slide to incorporate a front sight dovetail for a FO front sight and large hammer pin for modernity. Of course you have to swap out decocker/safety for G model decocker only as well.

The best part was Ernie Langdon sells a trigger in a bag that he claims is 90% of a custom trigger job. Well, I think it’s higher than that. I bought the 12 and 13 lb mainspring and started light. I have about 400 rounds through it using Tula and had 1 light strike. I will keep an eye on this. Not a HD gun but if it continues I will bump up to 13 lbs.

Tried the short reach trigger and liked it, but then swapped it back out again I guess I didn’t really really like it after all.

Extended mag release. Had a guy on the other forum cut and crown a new barrel. Totally for looks. Can’t deny that, but I love the flush cut vice the overhanging original style.

Finally the grips. I don’t like them and have swapped them out for G10 VZ slim grips a couple times but my 15 year old loves the bling so I keep putting them back on. In for a penny, in for a pound, I decided if we were going all Kardashian on the silver grips I color filled the laser etched Beretta Tridents. Boom.

Well, here she is. With these sights it is a shoot the dot, cover the target, combat hold, whatever. Anyway, you put the dot on a bullseye Target and this thing will eat out the center at 25 yards. It’s easy to hit with this thing. Forgive the shnutz on the barrel on the second pic, I just got back from range and just did a quick wipe down.

And yes, it probably cost as much as buying a new 92. Lol

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Nice upgrades. Thanks for sharing it’s story.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I keep going back and forth between getting a Vertec slide so I can change out the front sight, and just having the front sight drilled for a FO rod...

Sweet looking pistol!

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For the history it was worth it! And the TJIAB is nothing short of amazing for a drop in kit.

Beretta 92s seem to have had a nice resurgence of popularity. I have my new 92A1 but I still find myself looking at all other options ou there, specifically a M9A3 in black.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the slide the way it is/color it is, the grips look good on it.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rhino it might have been you that mentioned TJIAB first. I love it. Bought a second one. Considering adding one to my Elite II, it is that good.

Snake do what I did. Both! He is drilling out my 92FS slide as we speak. He is sending red, green, and orange fo rods to experiment.

I’m building up a brand new (sitting in box for years) 92FS in a similar fashion. I’m planning on this 92 slide drilled for fiber optic, new rear sight, G conversion and a stainless barrel to offset the blued slide. I will post pics when done.

Edited to add: my crappy cell phone pic does not do justice to the very nice cut and crown that WAL did to that barrel. It’s perfect and looks very sharp in person or to anyone with actual photographic skill.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
And yes, it probably cost as much as buying a new 92.

I'll take yours over a new 92 any days, Pete. It looks fantastic.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice upgrades! But, old and slow I am - is that a different slide or did you find someone to mill it for the front sight? No one seems to want to do that anymore ...

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a new Vertec slide. Stainless with a front sight dovetail. It also has the Beretta G conversion which makes it a decocker only, no safety anymore. I then put Wilson Combat front and rear sights on.

I probably confused you because I sent a blued, bruniton, FS slide to a guy who drills the fixed front sight for a fiber optic rod. When I get that back I will finish my second build and post pics.

posted Hide Post
The flush barrel makes it look a bit more like a compact.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
From someone who absolutely loves the 92 platform I applaud your build! Well done!

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet build!

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I just ran my Wilson/Beretta Cen. Tac. in a fighting course, it performed beautifully.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s you guys with your WC models that got me to thinking in the first place.

I actually had a LTT model in my cart before I reconsidered and went this route.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've been SO close to buying a WC BrigTac or CentTac about 100 times before going DITY 92A1 setup.

Those Black M9A3s are temping too. Wink And the LTT setup is also uber sweet looking.

posted Hide Post
Honestly, the LTT setup with Ernie’s trigger job is the way to go. WC makes you pay a lot for stamping their crest and using their parts. Part by part I prefer the LTT gun. Just can’t abide the price. My opinion.

They are both great guns if you don’t want to franken gun it yourself.

posted Hide Post
Of the two, the LTT also hits the price point at <$1200 for a tuned Beretta.

As I total up what I've spent I'm right at $930 with a military discount on the 92A1. So $1165 for the LTT with trigger job is not far off the mark.

I think the WCs are steep for their tuned models of $1400. Granted you get night sights (which I prefer and still need on mine) and I love the Centurion setup, but for $400 bucks I'll stick with the Franken and buy 8 Mecgar 18rd AFC mags and a case of 9MM.

But I'd still love a WC Beretta, price be damned. Wink

It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Looks great.

92 is the king in the DA/SA arena.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over on the other forum they are mad bashing WC and Beretta right now. I may have stuck my foot in it because I think they are complaining about minor stuff without even shooting the guns.

Me love my 92’s. This franken gun rivals my
92G-SD, except I do like the serrated frame. Although the LTT VZ grips are super grippy and make up for that. (When my son isn’t looking I’m changing the grips back). Lol

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I love my WC Beretta.

That being said I'm very intrigued by the Langdon trigger kit for my other 92. How hard is it to install? I'm mildly mechanically inclined.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post