SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M&P 2.0 Compact - down and dirty of how it will handle as a defensive gun.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M&P 2.0 Compact - down and dirty of how it will handle as a defensive gun. Login/Join 
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted
I have nothing against the YouTube reviews. But lets be honest a dip in sand or dirt and run 10 rounds and all that stuff really means nothing. You could take the same pistol and video that effort 5 times and get different results. Entertainment at best. The other side of the coin is the static shooting. I never get answers to what I truly want to know.

I wanted to blast a few rounds to confirm Zero and move on to the realm of how the gun handles with speed, movement and can I achieve good accuracy? So many reviews these days do static testing, which for some is fine. But you have to move with the gun and see what limitations you'll have. I try to make people do this with single stack 9's. Yes, something is better than nothing. However, understand and accept if you're willing to give up capacity and handling and is the trade off worth it. That's your call.

I've carried a G19 for along time, I've had to remove the finger grooves and undercut the trigger guard, but for all these years the G19 has been the right size. I still like the G19, it's a great pistol and no matter what has come along, I've always gone back to the G19.

On to the M&P 2.0 Compact..

500 rounds, what I've noticed thus far is the barrel hood doesn't seem to get chewed away like the 1.0's Accuracy is very good! I've shot out to 30 Yards. This 2.0 Compact is definitely going to chew up a portion of the G19 market. I ran it in a USPSA match and handled like a full size pistol, and the only thing I noticed was the gun seems a little over sprung.

I generally use a Sig P226 or a Beretta 92 in USPSA, but I felt really good using the 2.0 compact. I shot 115, 124, 135 and 147's in the match. Mix of reloads and factory. I'm pretty impressed at this point. If this keeps up, the G19 will probably never sit in my hands again. Kudos to S&W. The match was windy and lots of dirt, I changed out the sights to Trijicon HD/XR's and they are perfect for my intended use - Carry gun. I understand that a gamer match like USPSA also falls short, but allows you to move and engage with the pistol. M&P 2.0 Compact exceeded my standards.

Stippling - I used 2000 grit, to knock down the aggressive texture and it does take a bit longer but does an excellent job of not taking too much off and doesn't seem to alter the appearance of the texture.

Also, the slide release is a little harder to release with my thumb on the new design. Seem like it will smooth out with more time, but it does need more pressure to drop the slide. A little part of me misses the autoforwarding - ha ha.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they might have increased the barrel unlocking dwell time some on the new 2.0 pistols. I believe it improves accuracy along with a little less wear and tear on the barrel You can lighten up the slide release some by shortening the spring a little bit that is under the detent in front of the slide release. The more you shorten it, the easier the slide will auto forward with a hard mag insertion. Does anyone know if you there is a solid bottom grip insert takedown tool available for the pistol ? I don't need or use the lanyard on mine. A solid one would feel a little better IMHO.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I enjoy watching the guns in action. I felt the same as you. I need to operate a gun to see how I like it. The videos are great for entertainment but actually shooting the gun is the only way to determine how it works for an individual. Mine has been fantastic!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. I'm excited to get into the 2.0 Compact.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I got to shoot a mag out of the new compact last weekend and I'm hooked.
I'm getting that to carry and I'm thinking of running a M&P9L in USPSA next summer.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I just came in from shooting my MP 2.0 I'd guess I'm up to 700 rounds 175 today.. It shoots all types of ammo very well and accurately.

I found a BlackPoint holster I have for my HK VP9 and the M&P fit it just right. Easy to draw from and holds it securely.

I'm liking the 2.0 more each time, and I really like my Glock gen. 5...

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My BlackPoint Tactical leather winged OWB holster arrived today for my M&P 2.0 compact. I use them for my P-10c and Gen 5 G19 also, and I am very satisfied with them. They have just a little give for comfort and when used with a quality gun belt, they keep the pistols tucked in nice and close to your side.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
That holster looks interesting and comfortable. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for sharing.

I carry the 2.0 compact appendix in a cheap Concealment Express from Amazon. I need to see what options become available, my preferred is a G-code incog.

Thanks for the info guys, this pistol so far has proven to be a solid contender.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staple Gun Extraordinaire!
Picture of sig-x
posted Hide Post
Does the 2.0 compact use the same laser grips as the as the standard (old) full size m&p?

Do they make CT grips for the new 2.0 if they don't work with the older Ct grips?

Posts: 9949 | Location: SE MI | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post