SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Galco seems to lag on shoulder systems for new pistol models
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Galco seems to lag on shoulder systems for new pistol models Login/Join 
posted
I concealed carry a number of ways: IWB, fanny pack, pocket carry, etc. But my favorite method by far is a shoulder holster by Galco. In any season except summer, a light sport coat ensures that I'm not made as carrying and my draw speed from that location is my best by far. It's comfortable and I can carry 2 extra magazines with no problem.

In my opinion, the best Galco shoulder system is the Miami II. I like the fit and the finish. So what's the problem, you ask? Galco seems to lag -- a LOT -- in how long it takes them to put out new pistol model holsters for their shoulder systems.

Right now, I'd love to buy Galco shoulder holsters for a Sig X-Carry, a P365, and now a P229 Legion RX.

I don't know why they wouldn't watch the market and pre-position themselves for a new gun launch. They certainly have the relationships due to their high-profile. Perhaps they are just waiting for the volume of a particular pistol to be great enough? Oh, well. Would love to spend the money with them when they decide there's enough volume to put out models for new pistols...

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Maybe they want to focus on holsters that will sell more than 50 units. More mainstream, if you will.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I'm with Bob on this one. Outside of people who wear a suit coat every day, or those who lug exceptionally heavy guns, I can't imagine this being a high-demand item.

I can see a need for the person carrying a 6" GP 100 or similar big heavy gun. I can see a need for the person who wears a suit coat 100% of the time. Outside of that, with constantly improving IWB and OWB versions, with consistently smaller and lighter polymer framed guns, I just don't see a demand.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Many ranges that allow drawing from a holster prohibit doing so from a shoulder holster, and there's been a strong trend away from the shoulder holster in law enforcement circles.

They're cool and have their place but mainstream they're not.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’m a fan of their Classic lite Shoulder holster. Every method of concealed carry has its strong points and weak points as well as application. I’ve found that you can’t go too large or heavy when using a shoulder holster and I suspect that Galco is in tune with their sales demographics and shoulder holsters for big iron and classic P series Sigs just don’t sell well. The Glock 43 & 42, J frames, Kahrs and Shields disappear when carried in the classic lite and I’m sure those sales numbers are good. 28ozs maybe the tipping point for efficient weight in a shoulder holster. I make use from the CL predominantly during the fall / winter. Work perfectly under a hoodie as well as long drives. I would bet the farm you’ll see one soon for the 365

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
As a retailer we get a surprising amount of requests for shoulder holsters. Most of these are from people that I get the feeling really don't know what they're getting themselves into, other than they've decided that they don't like carrying a gun on the hip or waist. Galco was our primary source of shoulder rigs but Rucker is right in that Galco seems extremely slow at bringing new designs to market. Why this is the case I think rbert0005 has it nailed; leather shoulder holsters are relatively expensive at the point-of-sale and isn't the prevailing carry method of choice of most anyone from the novice to expert. Unless someone is always wearing a cover coat or jacket, a shoulder unit is hardly conceal-friendly.

Our secondary source for a shoulder holster solution has been Blackhawk with their Serpa shoulder harness. It's much like the Galco in that Blackhawk is likewise slow and extremely selective in bringing Serpa designs for new gun models to market. Even stranger still is because of liability concerns over the Serpa paddle release, we actually DON'T sell the Serpa holsters themselves, only the harness. Yet we can't seem to keep those stupid harnesses in stock when we get them in.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Take a look at High Noon Holsters:

https://www.highnoonholsters.c...lsters/shoulder-rigs

I use their "Under Armor" rig every day to carry either my P320SC or my XD9SC.

They list the P365 and the P229 Legion, but you'd probably want to contact them to see if they'll make one for a pistol with an optic.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

They're cool and have their place but mainstream they're not.

I loathe that word “mainstream”. Are we all supposed to drive CUV’s, live our life on our phones with our faces smashed into them viewing social media apps? I really wish the market would embrace more choices.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Holster makers are a business. The 'market' responds to 'demand'.

I would venture that demand for shoulder holsters isn't what it used to be, otherwise we'd be awash in shoulder holster options.

Alas we are awash in IWB / OWB / AIWB / Pocket Holsters.

I'm sure anyone who REALLY wants a shoulder holster can get a custom one whipped up. But then again that would cost a lot of $$$$...

Which just shows you that the $$$$ for mass produced shoulder holsters likely isn't there.

quote:
Perhaps they are just waiting for the volume of a particular pistol to be great enough?

That'd be my guess too.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a retailer we get a surprising amount of requests for shoulder holsters. Most of these are from people that I get the feeling really don't know what they're getting themselves into

Not surprised by that statement.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the classic lite and it does a good job of fitting a variety of guns. Although it is less concealable, I also use the Gunfighters, Inc Kydex shoulder rig. Gunfighters,Inc can probably make an optic friendly rig.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
If I could only grow my hair anymore, I'd be all over a shoulder holster.
I don't think these would be in any demand if it wasn't for TV and movies.
"Welcome to the party pal"... oh wait, wrong one.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my Galco SH, my Glock 35,23, 27 worked equally well in same rig. 220 and 226; but not 229 would work in same rig, too. If you spend a lot of time sitting in a car or at a desk shoulder holster is more comfortable than OWB or IWB in many cases. One reason I like it is due to my spinal and hip issues, want to get the weight of gun and spare mags off my waist. A good friend of mine a retired DeKalb County Sgt Major developed back and hip issues after wearing a heavy "duty rig" for years and now carries his BHP in on and much more comfortable.

You do not need to wear a suit or other significant cover garment, I wear a CoolMax or
Under Armor T or Tank that doesn't get clammy even on humid days and either a long or short sleeve unbuttoned sportshirt with either a big plaid pattern of some kind or in summer a Hawaiian short sleeve shirt works just fine.
A breeze is also not as likely to expose your gun as likely as OWB or IWB carry, Can further reduce the odds of this if you will safety pin a couple of fishing weights behind button holes on one side and buttons on the other.

Galco system is up around $175 which is a lot of money compared to the much more prevalent and inexpensive kydex holsters out there.

One last thing, many of us with stand with our arms crossed when talking to someone and is easy to slightly modify that to slipping strong hand inside and near weapon, not telegraphing your movement as much as other situations.

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those that suggested other possible manufacturers of shoulder rigs.

I contacted High Noon Holsters and talked to a very nice lady there. She was extremely kind and helpful, but let me know that they currently have no plans for an RMR-equipped model as it would have to be very specific to the pistol and couldn't be genericized for multiple gun models. I do need to emphasize, though, that she epitomized the kind of customer service that I'd love to see in a lot of other companies that I deal with. She actually was upset that they couldn't help me. I think it's been about 30 years since I saw that level of service at a company.

I will look into the Gunfighters Inc solution. Thank you for the tip.

I do know that shoulder holsters aren't for everyone. But that's the great part about being alive now -- lots of different choices available.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rucker,

posted Hide Post
I believe diamond customs makes a shoulder holster. They are better known for their Alaskan guide holsters but their products are very nice.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I use the classic lite and it does a good job of fitting a variety of guns. Although it is less concealable, I also use the Gunfighters, Inc Kydex shoulder rig. Gunfighters,Inc can probably make an optic friendly rig.

Does gunfighters make a shoulder rig? I know they make one of the best chest rigs out there but I wasn’t aware they had a shoulder rig, maybe I just never looked.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Galco does make a pretty good shoulder rig. You might look up Nightingale Leather as the guy comes up with some way cool shoulder rigs. He's a bit backed up with orders but well worth the wait time. I'd spend my money with Nightingale before almost any other leather worker.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GunfightersInc makes a shoulder rig called Spectre. The website says they are currently backordered and not accepting new orders, due to a problem with a vendor. A phone call to them may shed more light on this. I have the Spectre for a 226 with a single mag on the off side. If you like their chest rigs, you will like the shoulder rig. My only whine is the straps they use are less streamlined than other makers use, and for me, less concealable. It is a comfortable and secure rig, with good retention and access.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A big thank you to those who suggested a few manufacturers to contact.

I ordered from Gunfightersinc and received a Spectre shoulder hoster system that they set up perfectly for the P229 Legion RX. Terrifically fast turnaround time and the system is perfect for what I want.

I'm also planning on contacting Nightengale leather to see if they'll take an order for a nice leather system - but as folks have pointed out, they are booked out for more than 6 months. The Spectre will serve and allows me to carry the way I want for now.

Thanks again to the forum.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
This is from 2007 but it sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Shoulder Holster Reviews

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post