SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cleaning question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning question Login/Join 
posted
I hope it is ok to put this here. I just bought a used STI Costa Host. I found out today that the previous owner uses frog lube. I use the traditional cleaners and lubes. I use hoppes on the bore and ballistol for general cleaning. I use Wilson Combat lite for lube.
Is there a good way to clean the frog lube off the gun? Do I just clean it like normal?

Posts: 471 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Blast it with (polymer safe if applicable) Gun Scrubber.
If it's caked on, dried out, covered in green mold or cooties, scrub with a nylon brush soaked in an oil and grease remover - non-chlorinated brake cleaner or (what I like), M-Pro7 cleaner.
Proceed with your normal clean/lube favorites.

Lube is NEEDED if you use a degreaser like Gun Scrubber or M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner. They remove gun oil/grease and it will need to be replaced with what you like.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Same way you'd clean your traditional lubes off the gun, assuming you clean your lubes of your guns.

It's just a non petroleum based lube, it's nothing abnormal. lol

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh I feel for you. My personal experience with FL was the idiot previous owner of my PPQ. Could tell by the smell he used FL. Got it all off, but could still smell the mint. Well, turns out it wasn't all off. The genius had used it in the striker channel/pin and it got all gummy around 40 degrees. Started getting light strikes. Pulled it apart and thought I'd gotten it pretty clean and the smell was finally gone. Nope. Took it out again in the cold and happened again. More gunk clogging up the striker. Really had to go to town on it, the wife yelled at me for using all her Q-tips. Used Shooter Choice bore cleaner, not because it's super, but because I still have 1/4 of the bottle from years ago. I'm pretty sure I sprayed it with Gun Scrubber as well on the second time.

Anyway, my point is, if they're dumb enough to use FL, they're dumb enough to use it where they shouldn't use anything.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I will clean it And hopefor the best. Worst case, I’ll clean it more than once.

Posts: 471 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I often use rubbing alcohol as a cheap degreaser. The 91% stuff is better than the lower ones.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The easiest way is to warm the whole gun up somehow—I use a hair dryer. Wipe off as much as you can while the gun is warm. Hopefully the rest will come off with a normal gun cleaning product.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
I often use rubbing alcohol as a cheap degreaser. The 91% stuff is better than the lower ones.

And although it's harder to find, I use 99% all the time to remove soot-type firing residues and dirty lube.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post