SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need Advice on P229 conversion of 40 to 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice on P229 conversion of 40 to 9mm Login/Join 
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted
Hey guys. I'm considering buying a conversion kit for my P229. The kit is the Sig kit that includes the slide with recoil spring, barrel, and a 10 round mag. Before I ponied up the dough I thought I'd run it by you guys and get your opinions. The kit ain't cheap so I gotta be careful how I spend the dinero.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2407 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will have no trouble with the Sig X-change kit they work great I have a 40 kit and am using it on my P229 Elite 9mm. I also picked up a .357 sig barrel. I now have a gun in three calibers.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a 9mm Legion barrel in my .40 P226 Legion a few days ago, and ran 9mm through it without any other change. I kept the same recoil spring, and used the .40 magazine.

I'd expected some potential to be oversprung and not properly eject, but that wasn't the case, and I'd expected potential failure to extract on the smaller case. Also not a problem. It fired accurately and reliably.

I would expect the same results, then, on the P229.

I've done that with the P239, with .357 Sig, .40 and 9mm fired with only a barrel change. On the P239, there are times when the slide doesn't fully cycle, depending on the ammunition, with the 9mm. With everything else, it works great.

P229 experts here may have a different take.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a 229 9mm you need exchange kit for 40/357. If yours is a 229 40 s&w, you can use regular 357 bbl or a conversion 9mm bbl

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with Sig at Exeter. Ordered the 40 to 9mm kit and two extra 10 round 9mm mags because we only use the cripple mags here in MA. Thanks for the input.

BTW, I might be looking to buy some preban 13 round mags for 229 if you have some in good shape.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2407 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
FYI, I have a 9mm barsto conversion barrel in my .40 229, and it runs just fine in 9mm with the .40 mags. Rounds are a little loose in there, but it hasn't caused any malfunctions. I don't think I'd carry them for defensive purposes, but they work fine for the range.

Posts: 8542 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
FYI, I have a 9mm barsto conversion barrel in my .40 229, and it runs just fine in 9mm with the .40 mags. Rounds are a little loose in there, but it hasn't caused any malfunctions. I don't think I'd carry them for defensive purposes, but they work fine for the range.

I also have a Barstool drop in barrel in 9mm for my 229 in 40/357. I use 229 9mm mags and they work fine. I don’t carry it in 9mm.

However I have a Barstool custom fit 9mm barrel for my 224 in 40/357 and would not hesitate to carry it in 9mm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ted H.,

Posts: 118 | Location: Hampton, VA / Salvo, NC | Registered: June 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
I have a P229R DAK in .40S&W and scored an X-Change Kit in 9mm from a previous owner. I ran 60 rounds through it last Sunday without an issue. I plan to shoot a few hundred more through it before carrying it.

When I was looking, there were no kits around, but it seems that the factory has them in stock.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post