SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK VP9 - your thoughts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK VP9 - your thoughts? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I have the opportunity to trade for an HK VP9 Tactical. Since I’m in CA I’ll have to switch out the barrel to keep it legal here (even though I’m LE). What’s the collective thoughts on this gun?

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I love them. I have 2 that I use for competition. I also have 13 Hk's, so, you know, take that into consideration. All in all a great, do it all pistol.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
I love my vp9 and carry it all the time shoots great. You won’t be disappointed.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like everything about it...except how I shoot it at speed. Unless I death grip it, I don't get a predictable rise and fall, but rather I string up and right.

Slow fire, no problems:

The trigger is decent, good for HK. Grip feel is awesome, but I'd still like a bit larger. Not a fan of the paddle mags myself, especially since mine stick up a touch and I had to file them down. The only other gripe is the prices have definitely come down. I got a decent deal when I bought, but I'd take a bath on it if I sold now.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1858 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Love my two!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6993 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get a VP9 with a traditional american push button magazine release now if that helps you want to try one.

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I don't own one, but have shot one several times. I personally like H&K ergos, paddle mag release, etc. and the VP9 is no different. But I can't say I am in love with the way it shoots. There is a pronounced muzzle rise / snap that makes it less controllable at speed, which slows me down. I say it has more muzzle rise than an M&P or Glock, and less than a Walter PPQ.
That being said; its still a great pistol, but it wouldn't be my personal first choice as a personal defensive handgun.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Currently I own a bunch of Glocks and a P320C. (Of course I also have some obligatory 1911’s as well). This is more of a range toy for now but could move into my carry group if it’s as good as advertised.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I’ve found the VP9 to soak up recoil extremely well and it’s one of the most ergonomic grips out there among the striker fired competition. You should definitely give it a chance.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not sure what kind of feedback you would like?
Its an HK, which means mostly that its more sorted than some of the other mfg in terms of reliability (think 320 problems as a comparison). Mine have been totally reliable. Its biggest advantage to me would be the grip setup which is very customizable. The only odd item is the HK paddle mag release (*I've not seen an American one and I bet this one isn't as well) which some like, some hate and some don't care. I'm in the don't care camp. The gun is ambi from the get go if that matters. The trigger is better than any glock, and most of the 320's (I say most because I have a number of 320's and they vary a lot from stunning to dud's). Mag's like all HK mags are relatively expensive at least compared to Glock. Lots of holsters and sights, not much else on the aftermarket. I have no problem -ever- in recommending HK handguns and this one is no different. If you want to shoot it for a zillion rounds its a great choice. If you like to tinker with stuff, not so much.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I loved mine but sold it as I didn't need 2 striker fired 9mm.

I liked the grip better. But I preffered the 320 trigger feel and that it was a metal trigger without the saftey on it. Also prefer the mag release on the 320.

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
not sure what kind of feedback you would like?
Its an HK, which means mostly that its more sorted than some of the other mfg in terms of reliability (think 320 problems as a comparison). Mine have been totally reliable. Its biggest advantage to me would be the grip setup which is very customizable. The only odd item is the HK paddle mag release (*I've not seen an American one and I bet this one isn't as well) which some like, some hate and some don't care. I'm in the don't care camp. The gun is ambi from the get go if that matters. The trigger is better than any glock, and most of the 320's (I say most because I have a number of 320's and they vary a lot from stunning to dud's). Mag's like all HK mags are relatively expensive at least compared to Glock. Lots of holsters and sights, not much else on the aftermarket. I have no problem -ever- in recommending HK handguns and this one is no different. If you want to shoot it for a zillion rounds its a great choice. If you like to tinker with stuff, not so much.

Well instead of typing my own response I'll quote hrcjon as mine mirrors his save the paddle mag releases, I love them. I shoot mine in USPSA-ish matches at my club and have been very pleased. Just used it for a nighttime shoot at the same club and noted just how little muzzle flip/rise I was noticing. Easy to shoot semi-fast and accurately. To date it's the only striker fired gun that I've held on to, all my others (Glock/Sig/Springfield) have long departed my collection.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I love mine. Its a great shooter. Very comfortable in the hand, very accurate. I like it better than the P320 personally. It doesn't beat my beloved Glock, but its right there with it.

Get one, you wont regret it at all

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Great gun. My wife got one and I really enjoy shooting it. Great ergos. I like it much better than the P320 and any of the Glocks I have shot. It caused me to go out and buy a P30 since I prefer hammer fired over striker.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Love mine!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29596 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I love my vp9! It just feels so right in the hand, and it shoots great for me. Even my wife was impressed with how well I could shoot with it when I showed her a drill. Even consider getting the sk variant for carry, but in the end couldn't resist the p365. I'm a huge hk fan btw, for whatever it's worth.

Posts: 10 | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
Accurate and reliable. What else do you need?

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Very accurate. I really like mine.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Excellent shooter. I've fallen for mine.

I was going to say more but then after all the typing was done all those words turned into a damn full-on review. Too wordy as usual.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I really like my VP9 too along with my P30L. I can't really say I like one better than the other beyond I am a bit partial to hammer fired pistols.

I usually shoot at 7 yards because of my aging eyes. I met my son at a new Point Blank range by his house and we had a great time, That range had much better lighting than the old range I usually go to. I put the target out to 15 yards and was pretty happy with the results. Better lighting at an indoor range is a good thing. Smile

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post