SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger LCR .38 Special....I love this little revolver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger LCR .38 Special....I love this little revolver Login/Join 
posted
Purchased it a couple years ago hoping my wife would dig it...she never took to it and ended up landing on a Glock 42. I figured I may as well put the Ruger to use, and find that it carries well and points VERY naturally for me.

I took it to the range just now so I could work it out and see if it's something I want to qualify with tomorrow to carry off-duty. I'd put a few rounds through it when I first got it, but never gave it a real workout. Man oh man...this little pistol is a shooter! Anecdotal evidence today, after 50 rounds alternating between slow and rapid fire at distances from 10 to 50 feet, says that I shoot this nearly as well, or actually as well, as my duty Glock 22 given a similar firing cadence. Amazing. All 50 rounds within 5", and the "flyers" were actually from fast shooting at 15', NOT from my slow-fire 50' shots. Super cool.

Granted, the LCR is a different tool and can't be expected to perform the same way as your typical semi-auto, but for a specific purpose (say, off-duty, backup, concealed carry, etc...), and with proper training time, this is one sweet pistol. Color me impressed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dehughes,

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I had a S&W 442 maybe 10 years ago when I first got into shooting, but just couldn’t warm up to that 50 lb trigger pull.

Tried a LCR a few years after they came out and was really impressed by that buttery smooth trigger, overall a really nice little wheelgun.

Now you’ve REALLY got me itching to get one, but I’m leaning toward the .327 instead of .38

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Everybody has probably heard of the "carry lot, shoot little" gun. This one, and the earlier SP101, strike me as shooter's guns.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I carry one when I walk the dogs. The first 2 chambers have snake shot, the next 3 serious Self Defense loads. I first got the 2" for the wife. She didn't like it, but carried it anyway. THEN I got the 3" for myself, and she decided it was OK, so now I have the 2".

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to like the LCR, but I preferred the trigger reset on the S&W j frames. I did like the easy trigger pull though.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Great little revolver. We had one as a range rental. It must have had 6000 rounds through it the first year. Never got cleaned. Ran like a Timex. Accurate too.

After all the wind up J-frames fell apart or cracked their frames under the barrels (in under 2000 rounds), the LCR and SP101 were the only snubs we rented.

I hope to find a 357 version with the green laser at this summers gunshow. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I carry one when I walk the dogs. The first 2 chambers have snake shot, the next 3 serious Self Defense loads. I first got the 2" for the wife. She didn't like it, but carried it anyway. THEN I got the 3" for myself, and she decided it was OK, so now I have the 2".

I was tempted to grab the 3" version a while back, before I really got to know the regular version. What's your take on the differences between the 3" and the regular LCR? Do they occupy the same space or have you found a place for each?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Are there smaller grips available?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Indeed, a great little revolver. A J-frame is a little smaller, but its snap made it more of a challenge for me to shoot consistently well. Plus I swear the S&W tries to HURT ME. Not nearly so with the LCR. For the 1 7/8" there's really no need to buy the heavier .357 version if all anyone is going to carry is .38SPC +P. Took a bit for the trigger on my example to smooth out but it's darn good these days.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Are there smaller grips available?

There is a bantam grip for it:

Hogue Bantam Grip:

Stock Grip:

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post