SIGforum
Ruger LCR .38 Special....I love this little revolver

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2920032444

July 10, 2018, 06:24 PM
dehughes
Ruger LCR .38 Special....I love this little revolver
Purchased it a couple years ago hoping my wife would dig it...she never took to it and ended up landing on a Glock 42. I figured I may as well put the Ruger to use, and find that it carries well and points VERY naturally for me.

I took it to the range just now so I could work it out and see if it's something I want to qualify with tomorrow to carry off-duty. I'd put a few rounds through it when I first got it, but never gave it a real workout. Man oh man...this little pistol is a shooter! Anecdotal evidence today, after 50 rounds alternating between slow and rapid fire at distances from 10 to 50 feet, says that I shoot this nearly as well, or actually as well, as my duty Glock 22 given a similar firing cadence. Amazing. All 50 rounds within 5", and the "flyers" were actually from fast shooting at 15', NOT from my slow-fire 50' shots. Super cool.

Granted, the LCR is a different tool and can't be expected to perform the same way as your typical semi-auto, but for a specific purpose (say, off-duty, backup, concealed carry, etc...), and with proper training time, this is one sweet pistol. Color me impressed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dehughes,

July 10, 2018, 06:46 PM
PASig
I had a S&W 442 maybe 10 years ago when I first got into shooting, but just couldn’t warm up to that 50 lb trigger pull.

Tried a LCR a few years after they came out and was really impressed by that buttery smooth trigger, overall a really nice little wheelgun.

Now you’ve REALLY got me itching to get one, but I’m leaning toward the .327 instead of .38

July 10, 2018, 06:58 PM
egregore
Everybody has probably heard of the "carry lot, shoot little" gun. This one, and the earlier SP101, strike me as shooter's guns.
July 10, 2018, 07:41 PM
Rolan_Kraps
I carry one when I walk the dogs. The first 2 chambers have snake shot, the next 3 serious Self Defense loads. I first got the 2" for the wife. She didn't like it, but carried it anyway. THEN I got the 3" for myself, and she decided it was OK, so now I have the 2".

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
July 10, 2018, 07:54 PM
jaybirdaccountant
I tried to like the LCR, but I preferred the trigger reset on the S&W j frames. I did like the easy trigger pull though.
July 10, 2018, 07:56 PM
18DAI
Congrats! Great little revolver. We had one as a range rental. It must have had 6000 rounds through it the first year. Never got cleaned. Ran like a Timex. Accurate too.

After all the wind up J-frames fell apart or cracked their frames under the barrels (in under 2000 rounds), the LCR and SP101 were the only snubs we rented.

I hope to find a 357 version with the green laser at this summers gunshow. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change
July 10, 2018, 10:10 PM
dehughes
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I carry one when I walk the dogs. The first 2 chambers have snake shot, the next 3 serious Self Defense loads. I first got the 2" for the wife. She didn't like it, but carried it anyway. THEN I got the 3" for myself, and she decided it was OK, so now I have the 2".

I was tempted to grab the 3" version a while back, before I really got to know the regular version. What's your take on the differences between the 3" and the regular LCR? Do they occupy the same space or have you found a place for each?

July 10, 2018, 10:21 PM
ruger357
Are there smaller grips available?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
July 11, 2018, 03:07 AM
soggy_spinout
Indeed, a great little revolver. A J-frame is a little smaller, but its snap made it more of a challenge for me to shoot consistently well. Plus I swear the S&W tries to HURT ME. Not nearly so with the LCR. For the 1 7/8" there's really no need to buy the heavier .357 version if all anyone is going to carry is .38SPC +P. Took a bit for the trigger on my example to smooth out but it's darn good these days.
July 11, 2018, 10:04 AM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Are there smaller grips available?

There is a bantam grip for it:

Hogue Bantam Grip:

Stock Grip: