SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    State of the P220
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State of the P220 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
SIG will still offer support for these two in the future

there is no 9mm support now. of any kind.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I could see it's production reduced/minimized, but completely removed from the books? Hopefully not. It's a hallmark of the SIG brand...going back decades. Many medium-handed sized folks much prefer single stack grip size of the P220. And a 220ST is a very soft shooting .45, especially with the original rubber Hogues in place.

I'd suspect a 220 Legion Match (5") in 9mm would be appealing to more than a couple folks out there. Throw in a .38 Super barrel and now you're talking.

As to .45ACP, I'd agree in drop in popularity...particularly non-reloaders prefer the cost (and lower recoil) of the 9mm. In my neck of the woods, WWB 9 is a little over half the cost of .45. Do you want to shoot 100 rds. or 200 rounds on your next trip to the range?

Speaking of 1911...what caliber have you seen becoming increasingly popular for some time? 9mm. Used to be you had a few to choose from, now many makers have some form of offering. And with good reason...its a very fun round to shoot out of a steel govt. model. And a lot cheaper.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I really like your thoughts Boss1. I do feel the P series line should be sent back to Germany. Sans all the funky colors and cheap finishes. Let them produce the metal pistols as we know the quality would exceed what is made in New Hampshire. I remember the P220ST and P226ST guns. The ALSO P226. The full stainless P229. New Hampshire sees no market I guess. Let the Germans manufacture the good guns.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I really like your thoughts Boss1. I do feel the P series line should be sent back to Germany. Sans all the funky colors and cheap finishes. Let them produce the metal pistols as we know the quality would exceed what is made in New Hampshire. I remember the P220ST and P226ST guns. The ALSO P226. The full stainless P229. New Hampshire sees no market I guess. Let the Germans manufacture the good guns.

A year and a half ago, I retired my 1995 P220. I carried for damn near 20 years. I shot thousands of rounds through it, and the largest failure it ever had was a broken trigger bar. The last qual I shot with it was as smooth and accurate as the first. I miss the old school, triple serial number German quality.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hctr154
posted Hide Post
Not sure if producing the 22x series in Germany is a good idea. Would this increase the cost to the consumer? I've always felt costs of the 22x series kept it from becoming as popular as Glock.

Posts: 334 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: February 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd suspect a 220 Legion Match (5") in 9mm would be appealing to more than a couple folks out there.

Oh, yes. German production might be more expensive but could be worthwhile if it keeps the models alive. Perhaps we might also see more 9mm models or at least conversion kits. The 220 makes for a very good .45, but there's not a damned thing wrong with it as a 9mm.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I would bet they would be pleased to have the work load. Keep the awsome P226 in the mix as well. Bring back " To Hell and Back Reliability". Let the cheap imitations in New Hampshire keep their " When it Counts". Keep Sigs Great Germany!

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last sig bought back in 2011 was a German P226 that I had to sent back to the factory for warranty work and it was a disappointment. My 26-year-old P220 in .45ACP was flawless and went through thousands of rounds without a hitch. I wouldn't be surprised if the factory do stop making the P220. All metal sigs are slow mover at the local shop.

Posts: 74 | Registered: February 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Are LE agencies still buying/issuing new all metal SIGs? That market would keep the platform alive.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigpro:
My last sig bought back in 2011 was a German P226 that I had to sent back to the factory for warranty work and it was a disappointment. My 26-year-old P220 in .45ACP was flawless and went through thousands of rounds without a hitch. I wouldn't be surprised if the factory do stop making the P220. All metal sigs are slow mover at the local shop.
Did you ship your German P226 to Germany?

Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I sold my only P220 last week. The way used prices are going along with the wane in popularity. I was lucky just to make my money back.
It hurts a little to see these classic pistols that marked, to me, a sort of arrival in the world of finer pistols, be so under appreciated by younger people.
The fellow who bought mine was quite excited and pleased with it, but he was older than my 62 years.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Who knows, If it werent for the 10mm being brought into the fold, they may have cancelled it already.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Are LE agencies still buying/issuing new all metal SIGs? That market would keep the platform alive.

there is still some holdouts but they are being abandon for the 320 in droves.. money is the almighty reason

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In regards to customer support, Sig left the P224 in the breeze when they discontinued it. I'd hate to see the P220 discontinued.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
In regards to customer support, Sig left the P224 in the breeze when they discontinued it. I'd hate to see the P220 discontinued.

I wonder about the 227. I almost got one saw all the problems with the mags especially the 14 round ones and bought Smith and wesson revolvers instead.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I love the legacy P22X series pistols market dynamics and economics do point toward a phase out. My most recent P220 purchase is a Desert Black with Picatinny rail. I replaced the horrendous Hogue grips with proper FDE Combat grips and I love it as much as any other P220 in the safe. God save the P220!

Colonel, USAF (Ret)
NRA Life Member

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, if they simply let the spreadsheet/profits be the deciding factor, it will likely be reduced, then kicked to the curb.

The 220 is relatively expensive (you can get a couple Caniks for the price of one), newer versions have had somewhat spotty QC over they years (everyone asks to the see the rails when listed for sale used), and can require more dedicated practice to master as a TDA.

Let's face it, plastic fantastic is not bad, in many ways superior, not the least of which from an ease of shooting standpoint. If a G19 and 220 were put on the table as an EDC, I'd take the 19...but that doesn't mean I DON'T want the 220. I can use either effectively, but of the two, the 19 has advantages in that role. Where the G19 is grossly inferior is as a top quality, reliable, accurate .45 (preferably of the German-made variety).

But there's always those of us who'd always love to have an old school big block Chevelle or '68 Camaro in the stable as well.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I just bought a P245. I'd say they are definitely declining in popularity, but there is a subset of gun owners that appreciate metal guns and will always have a few in the stable.

It's true, most LE agencies and the military are going to plastic, and a large portion of the private market us following suit...as a result we will likely see a drawdown in new production of metal guns. On the upside, those agencies are flooding the market with used trade-ins at great prices. If you aren't particular about finish wear, now is a great time to buy a classic Sign.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Gotta agree with the above. I managed to get a couple of P220s in 9mm and .38 Super for $450 or less several years ago. This may be another such opportunity, particularly with the range of Red Box Specials that keep popping up at CDNN - heck, even some P225A1s are beginning to creep in at relatively sane (from my cheapskate's perspective) price.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lately, CDNN hasn’t been selling those CPO’s at sane prices. Instead they’ve been auctioning them on GB for prices that overly approximate new.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post