SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    State of the P220
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State of the P220 Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
It appears that only the legion is still available. How long before it goes the way of the 239? Might want to stock up on parts and accessoies while you can. Do you think I am being paranoid or are the 220's days numbered?

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the writing is on the wall.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Would Sig still keep parts around to be able to work on the gun if it were sent back for repairs after being discontinued?

"Once a Marine, always a Marine"

Posts: 19 | Registered: January 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yeah, the writing is on the wall.

And has been for quite some time.
I believe the P220 followed the P239 in the process because the popularity of the 45 ACP cartridge has plummeted.

I am not foolish enough to make predictions about politics in general, or even the next election, but I do predict the P229 will be the next to go, and then the P226. The P229 will be first because its primary appeal over the 226 was that it was a bit better for carry, but most people today want something that’s smaller, lighter, and shoots a less-powerful* round. The P226 will hang on a bit longer because of more tradition and nostalgia, but it won’t be far behind the P229.

* Anyone noticing the resurgence of the 380 ACP? I seriously would not be surprised to see a modern serious pistol in 32 ACP or even one of the .30 caliber handgun cartridges to appear one day. As I’ve often pointed out, the “all handgun cartridges perform the same” crowd should be perfectly happy with a round like that which would make an even smaller pistol possible.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Morgoth2008:
Would Sig still keep parts around to be able to work on the gun if it were sent back for repairs after being discontinued?

Sure—until their spare parts supply is depleted.
That would not be the first time something like that has happened, and it will not be the last.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to sell my 220 combat..but I think I will keep it. Not that I shoot it much. I wont buy another legion because of their new finish.

Maybe need to find a normal 220 10mm out there!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That 220 in 10mm is high on my bucket list.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Can anyone speculate what the future Sig pistol line will be? Is it just the p320 and 365? I think the original P series line should be manufactured at the original Sig Sauer DE so it could have a future. For sure they would be well made. No sense in losing the whole product line because New Hampshire only wants to offer the mighty, tactical plastic pistols for urban warriors. I too took notice of what remains and its pretty much the Legions and 10mm guns. I've read some of the reasoning here for the making of this high end p320 pistols. I will assume Sig New Hampshire no longer can profit from metal pistols. Far be it for me to understand how a company like Walther can market a very complex and detail rich weapon like its Q5, at a reasonable price, fully machined? Same could be said for CZ. Howz come they can do this?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I believe the P220 followed the P239 in the process because the popularity of the 45 ACP cartridge has plummeted.

That's the first time I've heard this claim. Isn't the 1911 platform second only to Glock? Are 1911 enthusiasts converting to 9mm in droves?

My theory is the P220 has faded in popularity, b/c among Americans, those who shoot 45ACP overwhelmingly favor the 1911. Those who want to shoot 45ACP but in something other than 1911 tend to choose something like Glock or M&P, which also gives them higher magazine capacity. Poly frame guns are also considerably less expensive.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Sometimes manufacturers introduce or keep unprofitable products in their lines just to maintain interest in the other things in their lines that make them money. Whether that’s true of Walther and CZ I have no way of knowing, but one thing that is true is that such unusual products are often the first to disappear after enjoying a bit of specialized interest.

Another thing to consider about the SIG Classic line is that most of the offerings have double action/single action triggers. Like metal frames, that is another feature shooters are quickly losing interest in.* Even SIG seems to realize that by the proliferation of single action only versions of the originals. Striker guns are clearly the wave of the future, but SAO serves as a stopgap measure to keep guns like the Classic SIGs alive because their shooting characteristics are very similar.

* Are there exceptions to the declining acceptance of DA/SA guns? Yes, but they are becoming rarer all the time.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Can anyone speculate what the future Sig pistol line will be? Is it just the p320 and 365? I think the original P series line should be manufactured at the original Sig Sauer DE so it could have a future. For sure they would be well made. No sense in losing the whole product line because New Hampshire only wants to offer the mighty, tactical plastic pistols for urban warriors. I too took notice of what remains and its pretty much the Legions and 10mm guns. I've read some of the reasoning here for the making of this high end p320 pistols. I will assume Sig New Hampshire no longer can profit from metal pistols. Far be it for me to understand how a company like Walther can market a very complex and detail rich weapon like its Q5, at a reasonable price, fully machined? Same could be said for CZ. Howz come they can do this?

I'm sure they still make a profit. Just not as much as the 320/365 lines

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Are 1911 enthusiasts converting to 9mm in droves?

Perhaps not in droves, but it’s obviously becoming more common all the time.

And if we’re going to talk about “1911s,” and lump all the countless variations of that design together, then we should do with same with the countless guns that are latter day versions of the Glock design. Yes, there is more differences among all those knockoffs’ internals than there are among 1911s, but the basic concept of a striker fired pistol with a relatively light and short stroke trigger and polymer frame/grip having a large capacity magazine is becoming ubiquitous. If we combine all those offerings today (and relatively few of which are chambered for 45 ACP), they don’t just outnumber 1911s, they overwhelm them.

As I mentioned in my previous posts, the SIG Classic line as a whole is declining in popularity, not only the P220, but in my view the P220 is going down faster than the P226 or P229 because it’s chambered for a less popular cartridge (and the 10mm hardly changes that assessment). There will always be people who believe the 45 ACP is descended from the hammer of Thor, and it will no doubt be resurrected from time to time by “special” military and LE agencies who want to demonstrate how special they are, but when shooters are abandoning the 40 S&W in droves because they don’t like its recoil, the 45 isn’t going to take the 40’s place among them.

Added: I actually suspect that the 45 ACP will enjoy a resurgence in popularity following the next Federal magazine capacity restriction as happened after 1994. If shooters are restricted to 10 rounds (or less) in their magazines, that may make the 9mm less popular once again.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can anyone speculate what the future Sig pistol line will be? Is it just the p320 and 365?

Production costs have to have something to do with attractiveness to both producer and consumer. I don't know that SIG sees any value in it given the growing popularity of striker-fired pistols, but I do wonder how hard and expensive it would be to come up with polymer-framed versions of the 220 and 226.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The P series with strong polymer frames would be very well recieved, IMO. Most especially keeping the same frame contours. Dont have a clue what would become of their external hammers. They'd probably be so cool, LE and Military would have to have them all.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Sad news. Another DA/SA platform, in St Peters favorite caliber goes away. I despise striker fired plastic. I've no use for "modern" production guns. They all look and feel the same, to me. A sea of black plastic ugly designs with lousy triggers.

After I retired, I taught tiny housewives how to shoot at the local public range. I taught them on a DA/SA S&W 3914. They had tried all the poular striker fired guns - shield, G43, ect. They either couldn't rack the slides or couldn't hit anything due to the light weight and shitty triggers.

They all mastered the dreaded double to single transition in a few mags worth of practice. They didn't throw the first round in the dirt or wail and nash their teeth. To the contrary, they loved it. And they all sent their significant others out to find them their own 3913/3914. It is a training issue. Nothing more. I am embarrassed for those who claim it is an issue or cannot master it.

And as to the old 45 is going away thing. I have heard that several times over the last three decades. Funny, there was a local ER Doc in the shop the other day. He was looking for a compact 45 for carry. I showed him a few, including a Sig C3 in 9mm. He didn't want it in 9mm - because he saw a lot of folks in the ER shot with 9mm. He said he didn't get to see those shot with 45very often. They all went to the ME instead. Smile Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The SIG Pro line was close to this, and was an also ran behind both the metal framed SIGs and especially Glock.

quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
The P series with strong polymer frames would be very well recieved, IMO. Most especially keeping the same frame contours. Dont have a clue what would become of their external hammers. They'd probably be so cool, LE and Military would have to have them all.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I like the SIG Pro, but it was a different design with a different takedown procedure and a slide lever/decocker area that's actually kinda cluttered and fumbly to use compared to the 22X pistols.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I have a few P220s: two in .45ACP ans one in 9mm. Hopefully, SIG will still offer support for these two in the future! Should I need support, SIG is only an hour away! I must say, the original Sigs pistols (steel) are much better than the replacement polymer pistols.

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not sure if the 2022 will be around either. the contract that SIg has with the French ends in 2022. SO they could dump it as well!

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Sad news. Another DA/SA platform, in St Peters favorite caliber goes away. I despise striker fired plastic. I've no use for "modern" production guns. They all look and feel the same, to me. A sea of black plastic ugly designs with lousy triggers.

A man after my own heart Big Grin Cheers to you!

For me, my WG P220 and P245 are the cat's ass.

Sad to see the P series go but I guess it makes sense. Few people want to carry them, few people use them in matches and few people want a DA/SA trigger.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post