Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

G45 thoughts Login/Join 
posted
I read the posts on the G45 when it came out ... pros and cons, and first impressions, etc. I realize with the Gen 5s there are versions with the grip cut-out (a la G19x) and front slide serrations ... Gen 5 G19 none, G19 MOS with serrations.

I have faith in Glock marketing/research. So I am really curious just what the G45 offers compared to a G19 with an X-grip adapter for 17 round magazines?? I feel like I must be missing something.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I dunno, I'd rather grip the frame than the magazine, personally. That's one thing it brings to the table over a 19 with an X-Grip for me, and I say that as someone who owns 17's and 19's and not a 45.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
It really depends on what you are looking for in a platform. I shoot a lot, and use the G45 for a duty pistol. I also carry them off duty as well, with out issue.

For me the full length grip helps with recoil management, and reloading when under speed. The G45 tracks better for me because of the full grip.

The 19 is still the king of CCW weapons, and if shopping to fill that role, the 19 is probably going to be a better overall option.

Honestly with the release of the G45, I now no longer have any G17's. I simply see not reason to have them as they do not offer me any benefits over the 17.

I also allows for more parts commonality and holsters for the 19 fit the G45 as well.

What's not to like.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Pretty much that.

I have both G19s and a G45. I'm not a "need more sight radius" guy, so the G17 and other long slides made no sense for me, but for a house / property gun, the G45 is great. I may carry it but I'm still using the G19 for that until the weather cools off a bit more.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about getting a G45,then having my buddy do a grip chop, down to a 26 size grip. Might be the answer for me as to what to do with a G45.

He's done a couple of 19s down to 26 size and they are pretty cool. I got a call into him to see what he thinks about doing the G45 to a 26 length grip.

Otherwise, I really don't have any need for one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
If you wait long enoug, Glock just might introduce the G44 ( G19 slide on G26)frame. FWIW, I like how the G45 handles with the additional grip length
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
I've been thinking about getting a G45,then having my buddy do a grip chop, down to a 26 size grip. Might be the answer for me as to what to do with a G45.

He's done a couple of 19s down to 26 size and they are pretty cool. I got a call into him to see what he thinks about doing the G45 to a 26 length grip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CQB60,

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you wait long enough, Glock just might introduce the G44 ( G19 slide on G26) frame.

I know that I'm not the only person that wants to see a factory model with a 19 slide length on a 26 length grip, I would definitely be in line to pick one or two up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
If you wait long enough, Glock just might introduce the G44 ( G19 slide on G26) frame.

I know that I'm not the only person that wants to see a factory model with a 19 slide length on a 26 length grip, I would definitely be in line to pick one or two up.

I'm in the opposite camp. I despise pistols that I can only hold with 1.75 fingers.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'm sure a G19 slide on a G26 would sell, but I understand that the G45 is much more marketable to LE around the country. And Glock love the LE market and with the P320 taking a bite, I'm sure that was a priority.

The G19/26 would be much more of a niche market IMO, especially because if Glock puts a rail on it, 1/2 the people will be pissed. And if they don't, the other 1/2 will be pissed.

And personally the G19 is easy to conceal, so I don't have a need for one on a G26 grip.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:

just curious what the point of starting with a G45 would be in this case rather than a G19

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:

just curious what the point of starting with a G45 would be in this case rather than a G19

Same here. But then again a lot of folks are very confused about this pistol apparently. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:

For me the big difference would be that the G45 slide comes with front slide grooves, something that I like a lot. The current Gen 5 doesn't and while I am aware that the Gen 5 19 MOS has them - I don't really need/want the MOS feature.

posted Hide Post
I bought one but the jury is still out for me. Not sure if I should've bought a Gen 5 G19. I primarily purchased because no finger grooves and front slide serrations.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
just glock stealing the 320 carry concept. I love having the full size grip!!!

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The gun doesn't make sense. Until you shoot it. And then the angels sing, and all is good in the world. The G45 is the best Glock ever made.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
Don’t buy if you don’t like.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
just glock stealing the 320 carry concept. I love having the full size grip!!!

Stealing from SIG? Really? And here I thought they just wanted a G17 Commander. Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I checked one out in the store, ended up buying it as I had been considering a G17. Took it to the range 3 times and was not really impressed with it. Traded it off for a P320 Carry which I'm very happy with.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After thinking I would never buy a Glock, after examining the new Glock 45, I reversed course and bought one. After shooting it a couple of times, I'm really beginning to like it.
It handles great, and it's operation has been flawless. It's really comfortable in the hand and the AmeriGlo sights are easy to pick up.

My only two complaints are that the trigger guard needs to be a bit larger and it seems to shoot a bit to the left. I'm still adjusting to it, so that is probably me.

I also have a Sig P320 X-Carry that I haven't shot in a while, so I got that out of the safe and immediately I was reminded of how great it feels in the hand. In fact, if you compare the two, the Glock 45 and the Sig X-Carry, they are actually very similar. They both feel very similar in the way they fit in the hand as they have the same blocky, square styling and the long grip and short barrel combination. Triggers are very similar except that the Glock has a more precise break, where the Sig has a bit of creep.

Both are fine guns and I never realized just how similar they are to one another until I compared them side by side.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So a longer sight radius and a little more velocity aren't benefits? Okay, it's not much, but it's something. For carry (either duty or concealed), I have to think the 45 and 17 would be essentially the same. What's the advantage of the shorter length? Yes it isn't giving up much, but I don't see what you get in return. The holster commonality (which could be had between the 19 and 17 with open bottom hostlers, or 17 holsters which generally fit 19s also)?

I've been wondering this since the 19X came out and proved popular. I never got it.

quote:
Originally posted by Texaspoff:
It really depends on what you are looking for in a platform. I shoot a lot, and use the G45 for a duty pistol. I also carry them off duty as well, with out issue.

For me the full length grip helps with recoil management, and reloading when under speed. The G45 tracks better for me because of the full grip.

The 19 is still the king of CCW weapons, and if shopping to fill that role, the 19 is probably going to be a better overall option.

Honestly with the release of the G45, I now no longer have any G17's. I simply see not reason to have them as they do not offer me any benefits over the 17.

I also allows for more parts commonality and holsters for the 19 fit the G45 as well.

What's not to like.

TXPO

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post