SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Apex Shield trigger $140 and Sig $50?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apex Shield trigger $140 and Sig $50? Login/Join 
Picture of mrtuna
posted
I understand that businesses can charge whatever they want but I am looking into upgrading my less than $300 Shield 45 trigger and it's 140.00 for a trigger, a sear and 2 springs. Not even a plunger included. I am shocked. I can't imagine these are selling quickly since the gun is so cheap. I also can't imagine the R&D for another Shield was very expensive. Frankly I would sell my Shield if it was worth anything instead of paying that. I guess the P320 trigger is priced cheaper because they have competition. I rarely feel like an aftermarket trigger is truly overpriced because they are usually for competition or duty pistols instead of pocket guns. I guess S&W is off my list because Apex is the only game in town. The break on my Shield is a really hard wall that disturbs the front sight. A 10lb hammer fired trigger would break better. I guess it's going to live in my safe unless Apex comes down or I figure out how to fix the break myself. Rant over.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Was my rant for a time. No doubt S&W should've initially introduced the M&P series with a better trigger from the get go. They have come a ways with the 2.0 variant and fueled companies, the likes of Apex.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
$300+$140=$440
$500+$50=$550

The shield setup is still much cheaper than the Sig.

Would you spend $440 for an off the shelf shield with a fantastic trigger?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
$300+$140=$440
$500+$50=$550

I actually would have bought a Glock 43 or something else had I known it needed a trigger job but I get your point.

NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrtuna:
The break on my Shield is a really hard wall that disturbs the front sight. A 10lb hammer fired trigger would break better.

Your description sounds like the trigger on my first Shield. My son tried my Shield and jokingly declared that I was a delusional old man. But he did observe that my finger was a little too high on the trigger. My finger was not pressing the hinge until I applied enough pressure (probably well over 10 pounds) to cause my finger to flatten and spread out. When I finally did disengage the hinge, the break was horrible. After learning to place my finger a little lower, the trigger was fine.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
$300+$140=$440
$500+$50=$550

I actually would have bought a Glock 43 or something else had I known it needed a trigger job but I get your point.

Both of my shields have a lighter trigger pull than the gen 4 glock I just bought.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:
quote:
$300+$140=$440
$500+$50=$550

Both of my shields have a lighter trigger pull than the gen 4 glock I just bought.

I expected the Shield 45 to have a decent one but there is variation depending on which one you get. I have other projects and didn't want to put any money into it. It's not the weight it's the break. My buddy had the same problem with it. I have other guns to carry. It handles the 45 like a champ and it would be a nice carry gun. I will fix it eventually.

NSSF Media Member

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
$300+$140=$440
$500+$50=$550

I expected the Shield 45 to have a decent one but there is variation depending on which one you get. I have other projects and didn't want to put any money into it. It's not the weight it's the break. My buddy had the same problem with it. I have other guns to carry. It handles the 45 like a champ and it would be a nice carry gun. I will fix it eventually.

That's what I hear, but both of mine are the same. Heavy, but fairly crisp. 6ish lbs and the glock was north of 7 when I picked it up at my ffl.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
$300+$140=$440
$500+$50=$550

That's what I hear, but both of mine are the same. Heavy, but fairly crisp. 6ish lbs and the glock was north of 7 when I picked it up at my ffl.

I guess there is no free lunch in the gun world lol! There are plenty of decent out of the box striker fired triggers these days. I really like the PPS M2. The Shield 45 is very shootable except for the hard wall. I could shoot 1-2 inch groups with it all day long with a good trigger. I'm trying to build up my P320 X Five with mag extensions and a red dot.

NSSF Media Member

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
The Apex DCAEK and trigger made my shield shootable. The trigger was literally preventing accurate shooting before.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3205 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I must have lucked out on my Shield 45 because the trigger is a vast improvement over the original 9mm Shield.
I shot mine for the first time yesterday and after I quit pushing the front down, I had pretty good accuracy with it.
Granted, it was only 10 yards but I'm not asking a subcompact for 1" groups at 25 yards.
I've never shot any S&W product with the Apex so I'm probably missing out but I've never really had a problem with their triggers either.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
The Apex DCAEK and trigger made my shield shootable. The trigger was literally preventing accurate shooting before.

I am not as accurate with a subcompact 45 so I don't want any extra front sight movement. I will have to spend the coin eventually. Mine is supposed to be a "Performance Center" handgun lol!

NSSF Media Member