SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Given The Oohing And Aahing Over The Glock 48, And Now The XD-E, Why Can't We Have A Comparable P225A1?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Given The Oohing And Aahing Over The Glock 48, And Now The XD-E, Why Can't We Have A Comparable P225A1? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I was hoping for a P320 Compact with a single stack 10+1 in 9mm. Or .357 Sig.

How about a P365 in a larger size? Same thin technology, but with 14 rounds in the magazine and a 3.9" barrel.

This would so easy for them to do. Plastic grip, longer mags but same design, just need to engineer the longer slide.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ It would be even easier to engineer a slightly longer barrel and slide for an existing pistol with no record of functional problems - like, say, the P225A1.

quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
Do you realize that you described a Browning BDA in 9mm (a.k.a. Sig Sauer P220 in 9mm) here?

Sssshhhhhhhhhhh. I'm trying to get away with something here - and the older, more slender 9mm 220s are still the best combination of "easy to tuck away" and "easy to shoot well" that I've ever come across. Unfortunately SIG hasn't made mags or parts or offered service for those pistols for, I believe, some twenty-odd years. The 225A1 is, however, still a part of their repertoire. The "plus one" magazine would (I would hope) keep them from having to manufacture a whole new frame and magazines that might not be seen as "user friendly" with existing P225As.

Do you think the same idea might've occurred to someone at SIG when they gave the P225A1 a more open trigger guard than they had on the original P225/P6, and then listed it as being available (at least notionally) with a 4.4" barrel on their website?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kinda agree, I think that ship has sailed. They brought out the P224 which was too wide. They should have brought out the P239 in a mini version.

They should briing the P250 back as a single stack narrow design.

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only speak for myself but the P225A1 in its current form is perfect. I happily skipped over all the polymer-framed striker-fired subcompact pistols currently on the market and paid the extra three hundred for the A1 because it allowed me to have an alloy-framed hammer-fired pistol that fit my hand length-wise perfectly. And, in all honesty, if I had it to do again I would happily make the same choice.

Additionally, the gun is both aesthetically pleasing to my eye and corrected the one flaw I found with the P239. For me the P239 grip never felt right in my hand. Whether it was because of the angle of the grip or the flat front strap it never felt comfortable to me.

I wish they had used a nine round magazine instead of recycling P239 magazine parts but I will still take my A1 over any other 'slim' single stack pistol for everyday carry.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
These shoppers are I think usually thinking 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian or ECO, the EMP 9mm, or other 1911-style 9mm pistols. In that light the P225-A1 with the wood stocks and the gold medallion is actually a more affordable, yet equally sexy offering.

A question, if you don't mind - do you think a 3.9" or 4.4" version would appeal to the people coming into your shop? I understand that I may be asking you to speculate to some greater or lesser degree.

Incidentally, the fact that your customers are passing over the XD-E is interesting in light of an exchange between e.s. dunbar and jljones over in the "appeal of slim guns" thread. I find myself wondering if the question for Springfield is whether slim guns don't appeal or the way Springfield does slim guns doesn't appeal in particular.

If the 3.6" never existed, then the 3.9" would be the better seller with our customers. Same as with the SIG double-stacks. But if you're thinking about a size to complement the existing P225-A1, then I'd say the longer sight radiused 4.4" would be the more alluring of the two lengths.

As for the XD-E: we've sold a small handful since its release but frankly our customers to date haven't taken to it. I'm not sure its slimmer width is the reason however. As much as I detest Springfield The Company, I admit that the gun itself doesn't feel that bad in hand since it utilizes the Mod2 texture pattern; to me it's vastly better than the hokey and slippery XDM block texture. But there's the fact that the XD brand isn't noted for hammer guns and I believe THAT'S the sticking point most people have with the model.

Stray from the what people know and feel comfortable with, get met with skepticism. XD owners are typically striker believers. As a group they don't usually want or shop for a hammer gun. Those faithful hammer gun owners that are ingrained and so used to alloy and steel frames in general don't want polymer framed guns. Sure, a SIG owner can make allowances and accept the SIGPro, but that's mostly due to brand loyalty. The CZ75 owner also can accept a SP-01 Phantom, P-07 or P-09 for the same reason.

But the typical Springfield 1911 owner generally doesn't have much use or love for the striker XD guns, and in the end doesn't particularly care for a polymer DA/SA gun either (or even a SAO one for that matter, given how poorly the BUL and composite frame STIs sold for us). So what core audience is the XD-E really speaking to? Someone who thinks that their PX4 Storm compact is just a wee bit too think?

So far our shop--and me as a buyer--hasn't figured that one out yet.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks, and (since I seem to have a lot in common with your customers) I hope that what you're saying about the 225A1 reaches SIG's ear.

FWIW, I'm perfectly willing to buy the "missed the market" argument for the XD-E. To this day I still wonder how it took fire-sale prices for me to give the P2022 a chance, and people have to pick up the gun and try it before it has a chance to take off in the market.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And now we have the Springfield Armory XD-E 4.5.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...3-8-and-4-5-barrels/

COME ON, SIG!!!

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly I think SIG will be busy pumping out M17s for awhile instead of going on wild goose chases of remakes of classics that won't sell.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but you also thought that the control parts on the civilian FDE M17s were black because they were picked out of random bins. Do you have some reason to think that P225A1s aren't selling now, and wouldn't sell with longer upper ends and +1 magazines?

posted Hide Post
Can't say anything bad about the P225-A1. Perfect fit in my hands and extremely accurate and easy to conceal vs a double stack pistol. Also pretty easy to carry an extra magazine or two. A +1 magazine would be nice, but even nicer would be if they had an all stainless version.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Next, someone’s going to suggest SIG should make a double-stack P225A1.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
Next, someone’s going to suggest SIG should make a double-stack P225A1.

-Bruce

With a carbon steel slide please....similar to the P228...oh wait Big Grin

yes, I dislike the P228-A1 and need a P228..again

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If they'd make a P220 carry in 9mm with 10 round mags (staggered?) I'd buy one.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It's gotta be easier to make a new magazine base than a new magazine.