SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Given The Oohing And Aahing Over The Glock 48, And Now The XD-E, Why Can't We Have A Comparable P225A1?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Given The Oohing And Aahing Over The Glock 48, And Now The XD-E, Why Can't We Have A Comparable P225A1? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
OK, so the slightly-under-9/10s-of-an-inch slide of the Glock 43X would be a challenge to beat, and at best we might hope for a 9-round single-stack magazine rather than a 10-round magazine.

And, yeah, there have already been calls here for a single-stack P320 which, if it existed, I confess I would feel compelled to give a try.

But if the slim frame and 4.17 inch barrel of the Glock make sense, then why wouldn't the production of the 4.4" P225A1 that is still listed (promised? hinted at?) on SIG's website make sense too? As Masaad Ayoob pointed out decades ago when discussing the older versions of the P220, a long grip and a long slide and barrel combined with a pistol that is slender from side to side make for a very useful, very shootable and (for many, including my oversized behind) eminently concealable pistol.

Put a longer slide and barrel on the P225A1 as it currently exists, fit it with a "+ 1" magazine whose base dimensions meld into those of the grip frame so that it can (if appropriate to the shooter's needs) form an extension of the grip frame, maybe put some superslim grip panels on it and maybe reshape the decocking lever and you have...exactly that.

So why on earth can't we FINALLY have the P225A1 "Not The 'Classic Compact'" that SIG's website has been teasing us with for some years now? Please?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Il Cattivo,

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
how about they just finally release a P210 "Carry" with 4" barrel?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
There's no reason they can't do both - given the MSRP and operating systems differentials, we're still talking about two distinct markets.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I wish they would slim up the P320 9mm. Doesn't have to be single stack, but it seems chunky for a 9mm. One of those pistols where it seems thicker than it really is.

I love the P225 and really like the newer P225A. An even thinner version would be nice but I think the price point would kill it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t mind a P225-A1 with a polymer frame or a single stack SP2022

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
The P225. The original,and still the greatest.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for a P320 Compact with a single stack 10+1 in 9mm. Or .357 Sig. They must be too busy with the M17.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I wouldn’t mind a P225-A1 with a polymer frame or a single stack SP2022

Try the XD-E.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The P225-A1 is doomed from the start, even being the excellent pistol that it is. Expensive and being large for its low capacity will kill it. Unless SIG (or someone) decides to make a flush fit 9-rounder for it, or a very slightly extended 10-rounder, it will be discontinued. And I have the feeling that SIG doesn't care to do it. And Mec-Gar will not be making any new extended mags for it, if SIG simply stays put. That ridiculous 8-rounder for the P225-A1 just shows you that SIG does not care at all about its fans. Roll Eyes

Edited for grammatical error. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Expensive and being large for its low capacity will kill it.

That was my first thought as well. It's been years since I've owned a 229 or a 225 (probably 8 or so I'd guess), but when I owned both guns, I never understood the 225 and the appeal of it.

I bought it back when I was a Sig guy because it was a cool part of Sig history and it was indeed a nice gun to shoot. However, it was basically a 229/8 with less capacity. Ever so slightly slimmer in the grip, but just barely and the big ass decocker on those DA/SA guns made them super thick.

Given that it would be a $1k gun from Sig, a thick, low capacity, DA/SA, expensive gun wouldn't sell many copies in my estimation. Given it's thickness, it wouldn't be selling to the same market the 48 will be. It would be sold to Sig fanatics who want it "just because" almost exclusively is my thought.

Now, if Sig made a P365 with a 4" barrel and a 5" over all height, I think it would sell like hot cakes and beat the G48. The only reason I will buy a 43X and carry it over my 365 (which does not see holster time for me) is because I don't find the 365 to be trust worthy. But for that, I'd have to say the 365>G43X and therefore a 365XL>G48. If they're going to spend money to make a slim gun with a 4"-ish barrel, I think they'd be insane to spend it on a long slide 225 instead of on a bigger 365.

In fact, if they don't release a 365 XL version at SHOT, I'll be amazed. They will have allowed Glock to beat them to a market with a product when they had a superior product, on paper, and didn't bother to bring it to market. They will have allowed Glock to reign supreme in a market space they should have dominated.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
So....a polymer frame and a redesigned decocker would seal the deal? Or is anything that isn't striker-fired somehow hopeless?

posted Hide Post
Sig will give you the opportunity to buy what you should want rather than what you do want.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I've though similar eulogies about the P225A/A1 guns but damn, they constantly befuddle me and continue to sell. We (meaning I) don't bring in many, but when we have them they outsell the P229s and P226s that come in at the same time. They do better than the considerably less expensive XD-E. Go figure, right?

Well in all candor, I don't believe our typical P225A/A1 buyer is comparing it against a M&P Shield or even a P365. These shoppers are I think usually thinking 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian or ECO, the EMP 9mm, or other 1911-style 9mm pistols. In that light the P225-A1 with the wood stocks and the gold medallion is actually a more affordable, yet equally sexy offering.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
Sig will give you the opportunity to buy what you should want rather than what you do want.

Glock and Apple have been doing that for years eh?

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I've though similar eulogies about the P225A/A1 guns but damn, they constantly befuddle me and continue to sell. We (meaning I) don't bring in many, but when we have them they outsell the P229s and P226s that come in at the same time. They do better than the considerably less expensive XD-E. Go figure, right?

Well in all candor, I don't believe our typical P225A/A1 buyer is comparing it against a M&P Shield or even a P365. These shoppers are I think usually thinking 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian or ECO, the EMP 9mm, or other 1911-style 9mm pistols. In that light the P225-A1 with the wood stocks and the gold medallion is actually a more affordable, yet equally sexy offering.

The XD-E is a great concept on paper, until you hold one. The frame is the same length (Front strap to back strap) for both the 45 and the 9mm. Made zero sense to me.

Your 2nd paragraph is spot on. I agree 100%

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's why I bought mine. It's one of the best shooters in my armory.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
These shoppers are I think usually thinking 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian or ECO, the EMP 9mm, or other 1911-style 9mm pistols. In that light the P225-A1 with the wood stocks and the gold medallion is actually a more affordable, yet equally sexy offering.

A question, if you don't mind - do you think a 3.9" or 4.4" version would appeal to the people coming into your shop? I understand that I may be asking you to speculate to some greater or lesser degree.

Incidentally, the fact that your customers are passing over the XD-E is interesting in light of an exchange between e.s. dunbar and jljones over in the "appeal of slim guns" thread. I find myself wondering if the question for Springfield is whether slim guns don't appeal or the way Springfield does slim guns doesn't appeal in particular.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I think XD’s are horrendously ugly. I’ve never had the slightest desire to buy one as a result.

Given how many firearms function well and don’t look like they came off the Highpoint draft table and then adapted for use in a sci-fi film, I’ll just shop those other brands.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Sure, but in terms of utility they've always been fine. If people are passing them over in favor of 225A1s, it would be interesting to learn (to the extent possible) why.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Put a longer slide and barrel on the P225A1 as it currently exists, fit it with a "+ 1" magazine

Do you realize that you described a Browning BDA in 9mm (a.k.a. Sig Sauer P220 in 9mm) here?

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post