SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Handgun Product Leads at Federal/Speer Discuss Ballistic Gel and Handgun Terminal Ballistics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun Product Leads at Federal/Speer Discuss Ballistic Gel and Handgun Terminal Ballistics Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very good. I do wish they had gotten into hunting ballistics a bit, however.

Most people don't carry a .44 mag for two legged problems, they carry heavy calibers in the woods. I'd be interested to hear their opinion on mild vs. heavy .44 and .45 cartridges and also those cartridges vs. lighter but still penetrating cartridges like the .357 mag, or even solids from a .40 or 9mm auto.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
*Snipped*
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Very good. I do wish they had gotten into hunting ballistics a bit, however.

Agreed. Hornady used to have some gel test vids and a hunting ballistics calculator on their site that were pretty good as far as I could tell. Otherwise, it seems to be the purview of youtube and random folks with random methods.

My own view on woods carry is to seek the most momentum possible.
Handguns still suck at that compared to rifles and shotguns, but there are some .44 and up loads that wouldn't leave me feeling naked out there.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post