SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X5 Legion Announced
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X5 Legion Announced Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted
I've been working with one of the suppliers of parts for the new P320 Legion for the last 6 months but was sworn to secrecy. I guess the cat's out of the bag now.

https://www.osagecountyguns.co...MOIH7zpOIfAJDONWTIJ4

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
They are gunning for the Q5. The weight will make it a great competition pistol.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember vaguely that original X5 had something called a pretensioned barrel, although I never understood what it meant. There's no mentioning of that in the Legion's description. Was that some sort of gimmick that SIG has dropped, or is it still a thing?

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The weight is something other than the weight available for the x-grip now?

They should have chosen something other than the PVD coating. It looks fine if the pistol never gets used, but wears through very quickly. On a more expensive pistol, almost anything would have been a better choice.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

They should have chosen something other than the PVD coating. It looks fine if the pistol never gets used, but wears through very quickly. On a more expensive pistol, almost anything would have been a better choice.

This gets repeated a lot but hasn't been an issue since the first year that Sig used PVD.

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Why have it come in at 43.5oz?

If they'd shaved off half an ounce, then it's IDPA legal.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

This gets repeated a lot but hasn't been an issue since the first year that Sig used PVD.

It gets repeated by me because it's an issue on each of my Legions.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
Why have it come in at 43.5oz?

If they'd shaved off half an ounce, then it's IDPA legal.

The weight thing needs to be explored once people have their hands on actual units. 45 oz with optic mounted and extended mag is a current threshold for USPSA carry optics. As listed at 43.5 this gun is not going to make it. With Max being two time CO champ, I doubt that SIG would have made this mistake. I wonder if 43.5 is with magwell that must be taken off for CO.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hrm. Nice gun. But is the Legion series really about competition? I thought it was about having the luxury edition. I mean, the X5 is definitely competition minded so I guess it makes sense.

Do they already have a non-X P320 Legion? Maybe that’s why I’m a little confounded.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

It gets repeated by me because it's an issue on each of my Legions.

That sucks man. Every person I talk to with legions bought in the last year or so report that the finish holds up better than most others. That was corroborated with a Sig rep at my gun club a couple months back who was there for a promotion. Taking your first hand experience into accou t I'd say they don't have that problem 100% solved yet.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
I remember vaguely that original X5 had something called a pretensioned barrel, although I never understood what it meant. There's no mentioning of that in the Legion's description. Was that some sort of gimmick that SIG has dropped, or is it still a thing?

I believe the "pretensioned" barrel is a real thing. Both of the Xfives I bought are the most accurate, plastic guns I've ever shot.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
So much for exclusivity. I guess we'll get Legion everything now, looks like they're slowly sucking the life out of it and turning it basically into a 'paint-on performance' option.

This reminds me of when the 1990 Corvette ZR-1 came out; it looked balls-out cool and radical next to 'normal' Vettes of the day, with its wide, curved, rounded rear fascia. Then next year... Boom!... GM put the ZR rear end on every Corvette, totally gutted the look and made a then-mind-blowingly expensive supercar look exactly like a base model Vette.

Colossally stupid move that helped cut the prestige and desirability right out from under their own supercar. Why pay $60,000 for a ride that looks exactly like a $38,000 ride. They built 3,032 in 1990, then 2,044 in 1991 and pathetically only 502 in 1992 when the LT1 engine came out. I think it's because they sold something as exclusive then backstabbed it with the rest of its own product line.

This is what Sig is looking to basically be doing with their 'Legion' branding. Four years ago it was an exotic worthy of whispers and drooling lust, with hand fitted steel GG triggers and assembled by forest pixies that breathed the sparkling light of the sunset on each one as they were birthed from a virgin unicorn. Now? Hell, they're about as hard to find as an erectile dysfunction advertisement or a wiseass comment on the Internet.

I mean why not just slap it on every P225-A1, P210, any number of 1911's and even the P365? Heck, why stop there? Go make some 'Legion' airsoft guns, BB guns and maybe even a Sig Sauer 'Legion' Supersoaker... "Join the exclusive club of aquatic tactical phantom warriors and get a waterproof Pez dispenser with Max Michel's head on it! You are immortal!"

Sorry to be such a wiseass, but I really was jonesing for one when they came out, I really bought into the hype. Still think the P226 Legion looks awesome, but I was major bummed when I heard they stopped using the GG trigger and just started dropping in regular triggers (if that's true, I've heard conflicting stories). But what really took the shine off was when that ridiculous P938 came out... it just ruined the image.

Now a plastic Legion.
Ugh.

Posts: 799 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with TexasRaider on this one. The Legion series was originally built on the premise of being the ultimate self defense/combat handgun, not a gun meant for competition shooting. This move in my opinion belittles the reputation of the Legion line.

I can understand Sig wanting to up the stakes by making the P320 X5 more competitive with other competition firearms because that was the original intent of the X5, a competition gun, not a combat pistol.

And where's the Legion insignia on the grip?

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Wow. I think you guys are taking this a bit too personally. Can you show us on the doll where the Legion marketing touched you? Wink

posted Hide Post
That may be part of the problem; Sig Marketing created the atmosphere. All the marketing was hype from the inference of the Foreign Legion to the matt look to the advertising all intimating a more exclusive level of "to hell and back." The coin, the special box, the idea that only legion members who bought new could be part of the club...Sig wouldn't even send the idiotic aluminum coin to someone who bought second hand. Sig went overboard trying to create an atmosphere, and some who bought into it might feel slighted.

There are very minor tweaks to the legion pistols that make them a bit nicer than the regular line of pistols. Slight relief where the trigger guard meets the grip, slightly improved trigger on *some* legions (before they stopped using the grayguns trigger--but kept advertising that they were), etc. Not enough improvement to justify the cost, not even with the magic low-visibility "x-ray" sights. Add the thin, easily removed finish to the list.

My thought at the X5 legion was "really?"

Maybe it's worth it. See how it sells.

posted Hide Post
quote:
My thought at the X5 legion was "really?"

Do not forget the skeletonized trigger & aluminum base pads

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL @ the all the complaining about Legion "exclusivity."

A Legion P320 vs Sig P320 is the exact same as buying a BMW M340i over a 340i: All the typical individual performance upgrades are packaged together and you get some paint/badging to brag about.

There's nothing exclusive about it: BMW will build as many M-sports as the market will support and Sig will do the same with Legion pistols.

SIG has stood for "SKU's In Gazillions" for years now and true exclusivity comes from the Sig Mastershop.

Posts: 53 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
So much for exclusivity. I guess we'll get Legion everything now, looks like they're slowly sucking the life out of it and turning it basically into a 'paint-on performance' option.

But what really took the shine off was when that ridiculous P938 came out... it just ruined the image.

Now a plastic Legion.
Ugh.

Well, I can tell who won't be lining up for a Mosquito Legion.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:

But what really took the shine off was when that ridiculous P938 came out... it just ruined the image.

Now a plastic Legion.
Ugh.

Well, I can tell who won't be lining up for a Mosquito Legion.

Posts: 799 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post