SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    229 and M11-A1 Differences and Duplication to Own Both
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

229 and M11-A1 Differences and Duplication to Own Both Login/Join 
posted
Is having the SIG 229 in addition to the M 11-A1 a duplication?

I have the M11-A1, SIG AEP, Night Sights, SRT and Hogue rubber grips. I love the gun for practice and CC. It draws easily and is comfortable to carry. In addition, I have the SIG p226 MK 25 and love it as a range gun and home defense pistol - SIG AEP, SRT, Trijicon HD Orange Night Sights, Hogue Rubber Grips.

SIGS work well for me because of tendinitis and I can shoot hundreds of rounds at a range of visit without hurting my hands. I have not found anything else to be is comfortable to shoot except maybe a Grand Power K100 but considering multiple factors I have decided not to buy a gun without a major presence among other issues.

Frequently people recommended CZ 75's but I have not found those to be low recoil even though it may be a heavy ounce frame. The slide is not only hard to rack but it is small and thus a lot of the recoil goes down into the frame into my hand. SIGS have beefy slides which control/reduce the recoil and makes me much more accurate shooter.

I also own a M&P 9 1.0, PX for storm full-size, and P30L. None of these pistols are low in recoil compared to my great and wonderful SIGS.

Any suggestions about buying the 229 in addition to the M 11-A1 would be appreciated. I thought about buying another M11-A1 but there only appears to be 2 models 1 of which I have in one in OD. A West German 228 would be nice to own but expensive and difficult to find one with a low round count.

Happy shooting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Member 12131 is always listing P228’s for sale here on the forums. I’ve never seen him list something that isn’t a killer deal.

Just a thought if you’re looking for one that isn’t priced like solid gold.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for these new fangled 229s and 228s, but originally there was a fair amount of difference in the hand due to the stainless slide vs. the carbon slide.

I've got both, a 229 from 2001 and a Swiss police trade-in 228. The 229 with its heavy stainless slide is definitely heavier, a bit fatter in the grip, but really eats recoil. The carbon slide 228 flips more with recoil, but is overall slimmer, both in the slide and in the grip. They're essentially the same length and height, but the 229 is noticeably chunkier. Neither has a rail.

Granted this is all moot now as the 228 and 229 I have are nearly 20 years old and the design of both guns has changed since then.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
A 229 in 9 mm is essentially a M11 without the rail.
226 is the full size. 228/229 is the midsize. 224 is the compact. Mags are interchangeable (full size will fit midsize.
228 is the older folded steel slide.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with having two of the same gun? I have plenty of them, two 229's, an M11A1 for three 229's and a 228. I have three 226's, four G19's, etc.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
What gunguru123 said, I have on several occasions owned more than one of the same model gun. The German P228s are excellent. I've owned more than one, and they have become very desirable$$$.

What about a "Legacy" type P229? I admit I am a fan of the Legacy type P229s. While the 229 9MM is around an ounce and a half heavier than the 228, due to the one piece slide, they have the advantage of being less expensive than German P228s in similar condition.....

Forgot to mention, that if you prefer new, new Legacy type P229s are available in the P229 Classic Carry model.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunguru123:
What is wrong with having two of the same gun? I have plenty of them, two 229's, an M11A1 for three 229's and a 228. I have three 226's, four G19's, etc.

Nothing wrong with having more than one copy of a model;

Posts: 93 | Location: ID | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by obiwankenobi:
quote:

I believe the word is 'YOWSAH!' Nice 'little' cache you've got going on there.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well done, ya freak!! Smile

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, my army green M11-A1 might just be my favorite shooting gun, and thats saying a lot since I own many great shooting CZ75s. Something about it without a rail, elevates it above my P229...

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:
OP, my army green M11-A1 might just be my favorite shooting gun, and thats saying a lot since I own many great shooting CZ75s. Something about it without a rail, elevates it above my P229...

Yes, my black M11-A1 had become one of my two favorite CC pistols. In fact, I just returned home and am carrying it now. IT is only 2 oz lighter than my 226 MK25 but carries and draws much better. Great handgun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thank you Obiwankenobi: Oh My God! I believe I have found SIG heaven. SIG Sauer should put this picture on their website and give you an honorable mention. You have a fantastic collection. Now I have motivation to buy more SIGS.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing wrong with having more than one copy of a model

obiwankenobi, only one P228? You slacker. Practice what thou preach. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

I know I know but, it is a W. German triple serial, does that help off set my transgression? Big Grin

Posts: 93 | Location: ID | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

I know I know but, it is a W. German triple serial, does that help off set my transgression? Big Grin

Blame it on Q. He keeps buying them all up so there aren't any left for us. Wink

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Have you considered Legion 229 SAO? If it's as good as the praises are for the 226 version then it should be great. Similar enough for you to love it just as much as your M11-A1, different action, so you can justify it as different enough to buy it.

PS sweet collection obiwan

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Have you considered Legion 229 SAO? If it's as good as the praises are for the 226 version then it should be great. Similar enough for you to love it just as much as your M11-A1, different action, so you can justify it as different enough to buy it.

PS sweet collection obiwan

No I have not Skins2881 but your idea is certainly worth considering. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
For a serious use (duty or carry) gun you want two, or better yet three of the same gun.

There are a couple theories on this, having a primary carry / training gun with a vetted spare vs having a vetted carry gun, a hard use training gun and a spare.

Either way, guns break and if you have to use your gun for real, even in a best case scenario your gun is going into evidence for a period of a a few weeks to a few years. Better to have a duplicate (or triplicate) to use immediately,

The P228 is a great gun, and I prefer it to the 229 but it is not as durable as the P229. Not to mention the 228 is out of production and the parts necessary for proper preventive maintenance are becoming harder to find.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
For a serious use (duty or carry) gun you want two, or better yet three of the same gun.

There are a couple theories on this, having a primary carry / training gun with a vetted spare vs having a vetted carry gun, a hard use training gun and a spare.

Either way, guns break and if you have to use your gun for real, even in a best case scenario your gun is going into evidence for a period of a a few weeks to a few years. Better to have a duplicate (or triplicate) to use immediately,

The P228 is a great gun, and I prefer it to the 229 but it is not as durable as the P229. Not to mention the 228 is out of production and the parts necessary for proper preventive maintenance are becoming harder to find.

Thanks for the post an interesting perspective HCM. Your information gives me more to think about and you make a very good point about having a spare gun in the same make and model.

When you refer to the 228 I assume you are referring to the original 13 round, folded slide and short extractor model and not the current M11-A1 which SIG puts on grips with the markings "228?" I assume that the current M11-A1 should be close in durability to the 229, with the 229 being more durable since it is also machine for 357 SIG and 40 S&W.

All of the posts are helping me move towards my next SIG but whether it will be a 229 or another M11-A1 is something I am still pondering.

Thanks again and happy shooting.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:

......I assume that the current M11-A1 should be close in durability to the 229, with the 229 being more durable since it is also machine for 357 SIG and 40 S&W......

It seems to me the locking insert in my M11-A1 is the same as the locking insert in my 40 caliber 229. This would indicate the M11-A1 is more durable than the 229, because it has the same locking insert, plus coated innards, which the 229 doesn't have

Posts: 76 | Location: Rapid City, South Dakota | Registered: February 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post