SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The Glock gadget
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Glock gadget Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I finally got a Gadget made specifically for aftermarket triggers and installed it on my EDC 19 with Overwatch trigger.

I honestly don't see a difference with it at all in regards to it 'sitting flush' compared to my original Gadget that is installed on a Glock 26 with an aftermarket Apex trigger.

I'm happy to have them on my two go-to appendix guns.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read one similar report where the Apex trigger worked well with a standard Gadget. Plausible explanation was that the Apex part didn't reduce a pre-travel to any significant extent as compared to OEM setup.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I may swap the Gadgets on my guns to see if there is a noticeable difference in regards to how flush it appears with both Overwatch and Apex triggers.
Maybe later tonight after the hockey game.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Gadget back when it was on Indigogo. I ended up getting rid of my glocks shortly after (before I received the gadget) and went to all hammer fired.

Based on all the good things I heard about the Gadget, I actually just bought a G19 MOS as a host for my Gadget today. Installed it in about 2 min and have been testing it ever since. I certainly won't carry with it till I've put it through the paces at the range... but I have to say so far I'm very impressed. Plus this lets me dig out the 20,000 Glock holsters I have from my early days when I had glocks.

While not as positive as the hammer on my CZ PCR or my HK P2000sk, I can definitely feel when something snags the trigger, and very gentle thumb pressure is all it takes to prevent the trigger from being able to pull.

I have to say this represents the best of all worlds. The consistent trigger pull and aftermarket support of the Glock platform, with the reholstering benefit of thumbing the hammer from hammer fired platforms.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess we will be watching the gun community for problems , and see .

will there be lawsuits up the wazoo for failures by this product ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thing had been tested for 6 years before it's release. It is possible that something that we don't know yet will be found with a wider release. Maybe it can't take a 30 degree negative drop, who knows. However, I doubt it. If you hear something, please let us know.

Lawsuits, that I doubt. It is an aftermarket part, it's installation is voluntary. User bears the consequences unless the seller misrepresented the product. I highly doubt that two hinged pieces of steel that were tested for that long can be misrepresented.

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
From where does one order the Gadget?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google "Tau Development Group".

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobofbone:
I don't know how many discharges during holstering result in injuries...

I kept stats of unintended discharges that cause injury or death in our county for a year. I had over 80 in that year alone.

I can look at my stats and see what percentage had "obstructed holster" would have been a factor, as I don't recall off the top of my head. Failing to properly clear before clearing the gun for break down was the #1 factor, though. (I.E. reversing the clearing steps, running the slide then dropping the magazine). It was a factor in roughly 1/3.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BehindBlueI's:
quote:

I kept stats of unintended discharges that cause injury or death in our county for a year. I had over 80 in that year alone.

I can look at my stats and see what percentage had "obstructed holster" would have been a factor, as I don't recall off the top of my head. Failing to properly clear before clearing the gun for break down was the #1 factor, though. (I.E. reversing the clearing steps, running the slide then dropping the magazine). It was a factor in roughly 1/3.

Probably no statistics on how many actually looked at their holster. The number of ND's while reholstering within that metric would be a bit lower. Perhaps closer to zero.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
This is the first I've ever heard of this device. It seems to me that it would really only be useful in a very slow and deliberate reholstering. Most people I would think reholster their gun by quickly dropping or pushing the gun into the holster without much thought. This gadget would only help if people trained to reholster slowly with some attention paid to the slight movement of the SCD. So the device by itself isn't enough. You have to train yourself to pay more attention when reholstering.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
This is the first I've ever heard of this device. It seems to me that it would really only be useful in a very slow and deliberate reholstering. Most people I would think reholster their gun by quickly dropping or pushing the gun into the holster without much thought. This gadget would only help if people trained to reholster slowly with some attention paid to the slight movement of the SCD. So the device by itself isn't enough. You have to train yourself to pay more attention when reholstering.

Nothing replaces proper handling, but the point of the device is that it deactivates the pistol while the device is held down.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
quote:

Probably no statistics on how many actually looked at their holster. The number of ND's while reholstering within that metric would be a bit lower. Perhaps closer to zero.

Sometimes you can look at your holster, sometimes you can't. Static at the range, fine. In real life, sometimes the situation changes from a "shoot" to a "no shoot" and you need to get the gun out of your hand while still keeping your head up. Generally more of an LE concern, but does come up in other contexts.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sometimes you can look at your holster, sometimes you can't. Static at the range, fine. In real life, sometimes the situation changes from a "shoot" to a "no shoot" and you need to get the gun out of your hand while still keeping your head up. Generally more of an LE concern, but does come up in other contexts.

I've heard the apologies before, but they become hollow when there's a hole in the leg.

It doesn't hurt to look.

Many years ago I did Iai-do with Japanese swords. It involves drawing, cutting, and returning to the scabbard in a fluid motion. Focus is on the opponent. I watched a man drive a sword through his leg that way once.

Reholstering when one doesn't need to shoot, which is most of the time, is safe if one visually verifies the holster and the path to it is clear. Put an arm ahead if needed, make some space, grab, create, control, whatever. Beats putting a shot in your foot. Or someone else's.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Reholstering when one doesn't need to shoot, which is most of the time, is safe if one visually verifies the holster and the path to it is clear.

It is even safer when gun can't go off because you're holding down something, like a hammer or else.

Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
I'm always amazed by the amount of money companies are able to extract from people for a handgun, particularly one designed for self defense / close range shooting.

Glock/Sig/Whatever Pistol - $600
Grips - $20-$250
Night sights - $100-150
Trigger job/Action work - $150-400
RDS/slidework - $550
Holsters - $20-200
Weaponlight - $100-300
"Gadget" - $80

Using middle of the road numbers from above I priced out a Glock that cost almost $2,000 using accessories that every gun owner has (at one time or another) argued, over analyzed and on rare occasions lost friendships trying to convince each another what is best and what is unnecessary.

jljones said it perfectly. The only thing I'll add is that if one trains hard and long enough, all those options listed above won't matter when it comes to drawing, shooting and holstering quickly and accurately. Let that sink in for a minute.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
The only thing I'll add is that if one trains hard and long enough, all those options listed above won't matter when it comes to drawing, shooting and holstering quickly..

I thought we were training hard and long enough to not holster quickly.

Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I don’t care how much you train. It only takes one mistake and no ones perfect.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What amazes me are that people do not see value in this product. I can understand someone deciding not to purchase one, but I cannot understand the shallowness of the simple minded.

The gadget acts like a hammer on a hammer fired gun. It would be useless to me if it relied solely on tactile feed back. However it helps prevents the gun from firing if properly used, just like thumbing a hammer.

Again only an idiot would throw safe gun handling techniques out the window because they purchased a gadget. Use both.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
TheNewbie, well said. I’ve often wondered the exact same thing.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post