SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My beater P226
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My beater P226 Login/Join 
posted
Hi, new to the forum, picked up a West German P226. Sorry to say, this one isn't pristine, in fact it's the opposite of that- a neglected, abused beater. But the frame rails are good, the rifling is sharp, and the price was right.

I didn't take any pics prior to cleaning it up, but here it is, cleaned, in all it's ugly glory. I think it's going to be a good candidate for a bead blast and refinish, although I do kinda like the character it exudes...

Posts: 12 | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Was it used as a door stop or a hammer prior to your acquisition?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
does it work? It seems to be in great need of a GREAT DEAL of TLC.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you pick it up at the bottom of the ocean? Wink

Welcome to the forum too.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both, it seems Smile

When I got it, it had years of caked on crud. Not old oil or grease, but more like the grime you'd find in the tread of your tires.

It's definitely been dropped at least once (trigger guard), a grip screw is missing, and you can see the rust evidence... it looked like it was tossed under a car seat (in a junkyard!) for about a decade.

But the bore is sharp and the frame rails are still black, with just a hint of wear in the very front. Other than the dings, the frame is clean of scratches- I was surprised to see that. It really doesn't look like it was fired a lot, just beat to heck and back.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good candidate for the Sig Service package. They'll detail strip it and give it a bath, then reassemble it with new springs. For another $99, they will refinish the slide.

Good luck with her Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some CCR work, new grips/screws, new sights/internals she'll be good as new.

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Have you fired it?

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Read my tag line..................

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Have you fired it?
Just came back from range, and the ol' girl is good to go!

just a quick function check, box of 50 S&B 115 gr FMJ, standing and shooting offhand, 7 yds. No concentrating on superb accuracy this time, just going through the mag in a quick manner... no failures, all controls working as they should. Slide locks back as it should, decocker works, slide release works.

Put everything into the black. Here's a 5 shot target for the last five, but the other 45 rds from the box grouped just like that

edited to add- that drift to the right is me, I do that with everything larger than a .32 acp Smile
I'm a lefty, it might be my grip and form, but it could just be my eyes...

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I do the same, as a lefty. Until I'm under the clock or I really slow down and concentrate.

Nice Sig. Other than maybe doing something to prevent rust I wouldn't touch it.

I hope you didn't pay more than $300!

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
That Sig has character.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
I do the same, as a lefty. Until I'm under the clock or I really slow down and concentrate.

Nice Sig. Other than maybe doing something to prevent rust I wouldn't touch it.

I hope you didn't pay more than $300!
Just a shade over that, the cost of a trip to McD's.

I've since seen folks say they were able to get this or that price for various guns, but they must be better shoppers than I am. I wanted a P226 in DA/SA, not a 40, not a DAK. Haven't seen one under $400, and awhile since I'd seen one approach that price.

When I came across this on auction, it was in the lower 200 range, and I said what the heck. It's rough as you ever could ask finish-wise, but not in essential areas. All serials match, but aftermarket magazine.
And besides, I have quite a few classic Krunchentickers, but a conspicuous hole where this fit.
So I put down the max I could justify given the condition, $315, and watched as it got bid up. I honestly figured it would still slip away, but I ended up taking it for that.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Cool gun. I hate to see such a nice piece abused like that. Glad it found a good home.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
I'd get a spring kit for it, and call it good. The spring kit will have the missing grip screw you need too. If it works and it's ugly, it simply works. No need to refinish anything, it'll just look refinished after it's done.

I would love it just the way it is and be proud to own and shoot it!!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...sauer-p226-9mm-luger

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, looks like one of the IDF guns.

Maybe time for a call to CCR or Coyotekiller--both re-finishers that are members on this forum.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Nice gun plus West German. I like a range gun to look like one not a museum piece. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I would not touch the outside, send it to Sig when they have the service deal going on for 99.00 to replace the springs and night sites. Should be coming up soon. Alot of character on that girl.

Posts: 5297 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Hogue G-10
Moderns spring strut assembly
SIG AEP
Tfx or X-ray sights
Refinish slide

Beater no more.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I took this WG two tone P226 in a trade for a Gen 3 G19 I didn't want.
The slide to frame fit slopped back and forth when you shook the pistol in your hand.
But the gun shot dead on at the range.

Sent it to CCR for a refinish.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post