Find
Notify
Tools

Devel 39-2 Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
It has been awhile and I lost a lot of my reference materials in a move a few years back, on the Devel modified S&W 39-2 pistols.

As I recall tward the end of his efforts........and perhaps along the way, Mr Charlie Kelsey had varying degrees to which he would modify the 39-2, based on the customers preferences. Can anyone confirm this?

Anyone here have a modified Devel 39-2? Full house or lightly modified? Thanks! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Devel are very interesting and Kelsey from everything I've read was an interesting person. I've only seen one Devel and it was at the NRA museum I believe as part of a special collection.

Wayne Novak has probably the largest Devel collection in the world. A Google search will come up with lots of very pretty pictures.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a S&W M39 in 1967. Very nice gun. I do recall a number of gun rag articles covering Devel and specifically his M39 variations later. Can't remember any details though.

I was always astounded how he could get those guns down to size and still function. He was a real pioneer.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I love the video work that Ian and Karl put out. I've lost many hours to their content.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-t3T0_bFkE

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Devel catalogs. He had three levels: a Functional & Reliability package; a Basic chopped down package; and the full-house package.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 162 | Location: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thank you gents! I appreciate the info! Regards 18DAI

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
The Devel SW's were cool for sure, I couldn't afford one back then, Devel also made some awesome 1911's.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have a bought-new M39-2, but I'd never heard of the Devel before. I do remember the ASP.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8853 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
One of my friends is Ted Mautz, with whom I was priviledged to work when I was at Devel.
As he was much more involved in building the S&W's, he is encyclopoedic on them. He also built 1911's and we worked together on numerous projects. It's amazing to consider that was about 35 years ago now. Wow.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I had a Devel back in the late 80s to early 90s.
Neat gun, I liked it a lot.

Back in 91, author Duane Thomas wrote an article comparing my Devel vs the new 3913 in a Harris Publications Guns '91 issue.

The gun is long gone now, but I did like it. I've always wanted to pick up an ASP 9mm, maybe someday. Smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years back as I walked through a gun show I saw the 39 ASP with holster and 3 mags for 275 the guy got from a sale he never saw one I took it home . I have run into the Devel but I liked the ASP better .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of persistant stories (as there often are) surrounding the ASP, its creator Paris Theodore, the Devel 39 and 59, their creator Charlie Kelsey and the company S&W.

Allegedly, both Theodore and Kelsey went to S&W, albeit at seperate times, and showed them examples of both the ASP and the Devel 39/59 pistols. Reportedly both innovative gentlemen were treated rudely and dismissed.

Shortly thereafter S&W unveiled its model 469 "Mini gun". Which borrowed heavily.......if not outright copied, features from both the ASP and the Devel pistols.

It is said that Charlie Kelsey was extremely upset by the treatment he recieved. Legend has it that he purchased a 469, improved it, and sent it to the suits at S&W as an in your face gesture.

Dont know if any of that is actually true, but I love the story. Wink Regards 18DAI

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
http://forum.ltwguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5063

A thread on ASP vs Devel. I was looking for info about the murder and found the above.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reviving an old thread. I happen to have a basic model Devel 39-2 in my collection. Long retired from carry it came with two extra magazines. I had both an Alessi and a DeSantis rig for this when I used it. She will still shoot very nice groups if I do my part.

https://ibb.co/jRDPNCf

Posts: 55 | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post