SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    stupid question of the week: P226 mainsprings. Any difference?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stupid question of the week: P226 mainsprings. Any difference? Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Is there any difference in the mainsprings of an older German P226 with the roll-pin retainer versus the new type with the polymer mainspring seat?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
The newer ones are shorter.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Crap. Where can I get a replacement for the older style? Never mind.... TGS has them.

thanks

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Older setup is more difficult to change as well. You’ll need 3 hands and or a vice.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The conversion from the old style to the new style is pretty easy, I did it on P220 KF.

Top Gun Supply probably has the parts.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
The conversion from the old style to the new style is pretty easy, I did it on P220 KF.

Top Gun Supply probably has the parts.

Just be aware that if you have older style grips, they may not fit or may need to be modified to fit with the new mainspring assembly.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
There are 3 different P226 main spring seats. The original early one, the tall main spring seat, and the short main spring seat. I think the change over from the original style to the plastic tall main spring seat occurred about the same time as the change over from the stamped carbon steel slides to the stainless steel slides, but I'm not sure if there was any overlap.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've got a few of these plus various weight springs which I have no further use for. I'd be happy to send you these at no cost. Email me if interested.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Very kind of you! I have a fresh old style mainspring on the way. Perhaps someone else on the forum could benefit from your generosity.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
TGS got the stuff to me in a trice. Detail stripped, cleaned, and lubed, Got the new mainspring in (PITA), installed the fresh recoil spring, tried it out today and it's back to 100%. Probably 15K rounds on the OEM recoil spring and mainspring. I have replaced the breech block roll pins once, when they broke around 10K rounds.