SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    K/L frame square butt grip recommendation please
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

K/L frame square butt grip recommendation please Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Herret and houge hardwood are my two favorites. I have tried nills also.

Posts: 2946 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
If you were so inclined, you could have them converted to round butts.
I had Cylinder & Slide do that on a 686 for me. The round butt is a much better fit for my small hands.

What might the cost be on that procedure?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3102 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Looks like 139 bucks when I looked. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 2449 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I love my VZ grip and I have smallish hands.

Posts: 4334 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you desire,for me its confort.
I have d-excellerators pacmeyers on most of mine

Posts: 20906 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Looks like 139 bucks when I looked. Smile

Thank you.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3102 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:

very, very nice. Is that mid-70's?

Posts: 50 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Grip Update 1
I received my VZ Square's today. WOW, what a difference. I was a little apprehensive because they are the same basic shape as the target grips but they are much smaller and fit me PERFECTLY. They lock into my hand and don't move and put my grip perfectly high up. I am actually a little shocked at how much I like these since I thought I would be returning them for fear of them feeling basically like the wood target stocks. Nope I LOVE em'.

I have two sets of Badger grips on the way as well. Those, assuming they fit me well will go on the prettier blued old school guns. If I don't like them, those other guns are getting sets of VZ's.

As an aside I cannot speak highly enough about Badger grips. The quality on my Ruger grips is awesome but that is really secondary to the fact that every time you email Badger you get.......a REPLY. I know right, I'm as surprised as you. I just really want to call out the good service in any industry as it always seems so few and far between. For me Badger makes that list. Badger, TopGunSupply, SGAMMO, Crimson Trace. I have had nothing but top notch service and products from them.

Anyway here are the VZ Squares on the 66, and again I am genuinely surprised at how different and how much better they feel in my hand from the stock grips.

Posts: 2449 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
https://www.eaglegrips.com/156-kl-frame-square-butt
They are available in various materials, but I recommend the rosewood. This wood has some qualities that make it a very good grip material.

Posts: 18336 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

I have the same 586 as you. Love that revolver. I went with Altamont grips on mine (FWIW), but I dig your VZ ones as well.

Posts: 500 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDragoon:
quote:

It is mid 70's. I was with my father when he bought two different length barrel models. Came in the blue cardboard box. He bought them for duty with an Atlanta area Police Dept. and carried them daily. He sold the longer barrel model but kept this week one. Still have the box.

Posts: 4334 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
If you were so inclined, you could have them converted to round butts.
I had Cylinder & Slide do that on a 686 for me. The round butt is a much better fit for my small hands.

What might the cost be on that procedure?
$136 for the round butt conversion. They ask that you pick your grips out and send them along so they get the curvature perfect.
Mine did come out perfect - I'm very impressed with the work. The downside is that their backlog is about a year now.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 14220 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Wow C&S did a fantastic job on your gun.

GRIP UPDATE 2

The VZ Squares are PERFECT. I had them out to the range today and quite frankly it was a whole new enjoyable experience running this 66. Obviously grip feel is a personal thing but these things are working out great for me. What a fantastic range trip with the old girl.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I wish VZ did a conversion grip, or at least a round butt without finger grooves.

Posts: 5303 | Location: Rochester Hills, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Packmyer rubber square butt grip if you want to take it shooting more often.

Posts: 13749 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDragoon:
quote:

It is mid 70's. I was with my father when he bought two different length barrel models. Came in the blue cardboard box. He bought them for duty with an Atlanta area Police Dept. and carried them daily. He sold the longer barrel model but kept this week one. Still have the box.
Don't ever sell it!....well, unless to me. ;-)

Posts: 50 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I collect S&W, tried a lot of different grips over time. I have some original Hogues from Mr. Hogue himself. They don't make them like that any more. They're OK, but not quite the same.

Here's a set of Mr. Hogue's work on a 29-3 Classic Hunter I had hard chromed.

These days, you can't do better than a set of Kurac coke grips from Culina

http://culinagrips.com/

Here's a couple sets for example on a 27-2 and a 19-4.

Posts: 1999 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
One final update. Got the Badger grips on today. They LOOK fantastic. The fit really well. They fit just like my Ruger ones, the finger grooves match my hand perfectly.

All in all I am super happy with both the VZ and the Badger grips. I have to say I am most surprised with how much I like the VZ grips, I didn't expect them to work and I LOVE THEM.

Anyway here is a pic in the same orientation as the original with the new stocks.

Chris