SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    K/L frame square butt grip recommendation please
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

K/L frame square butt grip recommendation please Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I posted this over at TFL as well but you guys are also such a wealth an variety of knowledge generally so I am going to ask this here as well.

I have a few Smith K/L frames that I need some grip recommendations on.

I have the following.
-17-4 (probably a mid to late 70s gun) .22
-66-3 (probably a mid 80s gun maybe) .357
-586 no dash (probably an early-mid 80s gun I guess) .357

All are square butt grip frames. All came stock with what I would describe as the standard smith and Wesson coke bottle/target grips shown below. I know there are a bazillion tiny nuances to Smith grips over the years and frankly I am not that knowledgeable in this area.

edited to add actual picture

These are bit large for my girly hands and I am looking for something to mix things up a bit this year. I LOVE the looks of all of these but want to put some grips on that will get me to take them shooting more often.

So my question is for smaller hands what should I be looking for.

Currently I really like the VZ Grips Square butts but don't know if they are any smaller in the hand. I just put a set of round butt VZ's on a 686 and they are pretty darn awesome.

I also very much like the Ahrends Tactical square butt finger groove design and aesthetically they are gorgeous.

For those in the know are these a smaller/more shapely foot print then the stock Smith grips? The stock grips WILL NOT BE SOLD(I mean I'm not some kind of heretic or heathen. Big Grin) as they just look sooooo right on these old Smiths but I feel like mixing it up a bit with some new options.

As always thank you for any knowledge you would be willing to share.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 2320 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind paying a bit more, but want to be assured of a proper fit to your hand, I suggest getting some grips from Herritt's Stocks: http://www.herrettstocks.com/album.htm

They actually use a tracing from your hand to insure proper fit and have been in business for about a zillion years. Here's a couple of Colt Diamondbacks that were fitted for me with their "Roper" style grips in "Exhibition" grade walnut. You don't have to go that fancy (pricey), but it gives you an idea about what's available. Those are nice Smiths and they're worth dressing up with stocks that are as enjoyable to look at as to shoot!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 8164 | Location: So CA | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Rubber Hogue Mono grips. Dont cast aside those factory wood stocks and, put them away safe and clean. Those bring a good dollar.

Posts: 13247 | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The 17 is full target so I'd let that be. The 586 to me is fine as is unless you want better handling for DA work. The stainless center fire K, what ever you desire.

Posts: 13247 | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
back in the day, I really liked the Pacmeyer gripper or decelerator. Not sure if these are even made any longer.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Mom's Basement | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
I have girly hands too so the original "target" stocks are are not ideal for me.

I decided to go "old school" and fit my S&W Model 18 with "service" grips and add the Tyler-T grip adaptor. It looks quite sharp and very comfortable to my small hand.

Posts: 897 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The fine folks at www.smith-wessonforum.com are quite knowledgeable about grips. They may lust after your stock target magna grips, though.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2028 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My girly hands like Ahrends grips much better than factory targets.

BTW: "Cokes" are a different grip. They were made before yours and are very highly prized by collectors.

Posts: 5736 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
look at Culina grips on the S&W forum. Screen name is KURAC. Makes some very fine grips and the K/L frame target grips seem to be slightly less bulky than the factory grips.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/a...tml?highlight=culina

Posts: 81 | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I posted this over at TFL as well but you guys are also such a wealth an variety of knowledge generally so I am going to ask this here as well.

I have a few Smith K/L frames that I need some grip recommendations on.

CrimsonTrace on all my S&W shooters including a few 67 no dash. Best feel with or without using laser. Also on all my SIG shooters.

I have the following.
-17-4 (probably a mid to late 70s gun) .22
-66-3 (probably a mid 80s gun maybe) .357
-586 no dash (probably an early-mid 80s gun I guess) .357

All are square butt grip frames. All came stock with what I would describe as the standard smith and Wesson coke bottle/target grips shown below. I know there are a bazillion tiny nuances to Smith grips over the years and frankly I am not that knowledgeable in this area.

edited to add actual picture

These are bit large for my girly hands and I am looking for something to mix things up a bit this year. I LOVE the looks of all of these but want to put some grips on that will get me to take them shooting more often.

So my question is for smaller hands what should I be looking for.

Currently I really like the VZ Grips Square butts but don't know if they are any smaller in the hand. I just put a set of round butt VZ's on a 686 and they are pretty darn awesome.

I also very much like the Ahrends Tactical square butt finger groove design and aesthetically they are gorgeous.

For those in the know are these a smaller/more shapely foot print then the stock Smith grips? The stock grips WILL NOT BE SOLD(I mean I'm not some kind of heretic or heathen. Big Grin) as they just look sooooo right on these old Smiths but I feel like mixing it up a bit with some new options.

As always thank you for any knowledge you would be willing to share.

Posts: 70 | Location: Part of the 14th state that did not ratify to join the Union! | Registered: January 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VZ makes some nice revolver grips. I tried a pair and found them a little too small for my hand.

Posts: 130 | Registered: September 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
If you were so inclined, you could have them converted to round butts.
I had Cylinder & Slide do that on a 686 for me. The round butt is a much better fit for my small hands.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 14190 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
"Magna" or "Service" grips leave the front and backstrap exposed. Yours are the "Target" which are thicker and fill the front strap of the gun, similar to the T-Grip mentioned.

My favorite grip so far is the Hogue monogrip w/o finger grooves and a velvetty texture. It looks like they only have it in a conversion grip, but you might be able to cut out the back part for a square butt since the grip fills that area to make a square butt profile. Extremely comfortable, and I haven't had anyone complain about the grip being too big, or finger grooves, or slipping, etc. If I had more service/combat style K/L guns they'd wear these.
http://www.hogueinc.com/store/...rooves-monogrip/7767

There are a TON of options for wood grips out there. Eagle makes one in a similar style to the target grips that are "about 2/3 the size".

If you're looking for the grip adapter (T-Grip) this company makes one very similar that you can actually still get. I forget what the deal is with the T-Grip, but if memory serves it's not readily available.
http://bkgrips.com/?page_id=12...p/5949919/category=0

Posts: 5298 | Location: Rochester Hills, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out this link at Brownell's, they have a pretty good selection. Good Luck on your search!

http://www.brownells.com/handg...6W+K+frame&ksubmit=y

Posts: 2774 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Man I appreciate all the input and as always love the pictures.

I have decided to do a couple things.

I am going to give the VZ Squares a shot.
I also was totally overlooking a grip maker that I Have had GREAT luck with on a couple Rugers. Badger Custom. So I ordered a couple K Frame full grips in Walnut and Maple. If the Walnut looks as good as it does on my Rugers I will be very happy.

This way I get to mix and match and try them out. If for some reason one of the other doesn't work I can return or if they all work out I have killed all three birds with one ston......errr credit card. Big Grin

As always thanks for all the input. I wish I could just get a sampler pack from everybody and send back what I don't like. Big Grin

I love these grips and I guess in my head I con-notated them with Ruger.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 2320 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&w made a finger groove grip. Goncalvo Alves. They were wood grips with finger grooves with no checkering S&w logo medallion Speed loader cut outs.

Posts: 390 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted to try some Herretts. I think they look great.

For just shooting, it is hard to beat Pachmyers or Hogues.

Posts: 878 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Cslinger, I've done the same search as you are doing right now, and have tried every brand imaginable.

Your needs may differ from mine, so just to clairify my needs..... I was looking for Kframe grips that would be used for fast draw and fire matches. I compete sometimes in revolver steel matches, so (for me) I wanted a grip shape that would allow me to draw and index the target then rip off double action shots accurately with no movement in the gun grip while shooting.

I tried Jerry Miceluk one piece wood grips but needed to add a ton of grip tape. I tried all the other popular choices, but anything with finger grooves didn't allow my high hold on the blackstrap. And since my hands are medium size, most of the popular choices feel too big and round.

I did/do like, and still use on a few older S&W's, the Tyler Tgrips. They are ugly but the work great. Especially with a few wraps of rubber bands around the grips for traction.

But the grips I settled on we're VZ square butt checkered grips. They are slim and have more of an oval profile which gives me fantastic control and indexing.

By the way, I have 3 sets of Herretts Ropers which I ordered for a few special revolvers. One set are a great fit for me, but the other 2 sets were a disappointment and I have to shave them down to fit my hand properly.

Posts: 2765 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hamfisted
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find the best selection from Hogue. Rubber grips if you want to soften it up, or many wood designs to choose from.

-Mike

Hogue K Frame Square Butt Grips

Posts: 250 | Location: Ft Lauderdale | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
This guy makes nice grips... http://www.blu-magnum.com/

Posts: 1462 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post