SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    7 Round Flush Magazines for Sig P220 Availability?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 Round Flush Magazines for Sig P220 Availability? Login/Join 
posted
I remember when Sig only offered flush fit, 45 ACP 7 round magazines for the P220, than they went to an 8 round magazine, but they were no longer flush, but stuck out 3/8" or so.
Does anyone know of flush fitting 7 round magazines for the P220?

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the older 220's, the 8 rounders were still flush fit, they simply changed the follower to allow them to hold 8 rounds. The newer ones have a "bumper pad", if you will, and that's why they stick out a bit.

Posts: 470 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
They are still around, but scarce. I recently acquired 3 stainless ones off of eBay. There are a few listings on there still.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist18:
In the older 220's, the 8 rounders were still flush fit, they simply changed the follower to allow them to hold 8 rounds.

And they didn’t work very well which was why that “solution” was around for only a short time and why now 8-round mags have the extended floor plates.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
In the older 220's, the 8 rounders were still flush fit, they simply changed the follower to allow them to hold 8 rounds.

And they didn’t work very well which was why that “solution” was around for only a short time and why now 8-round mags have the extended floor plates.

Mine have been reliable, although I can't say I've shot a ton of rounds through them. Will the newer 8 rounders work in my older German 220 reliably?

Posts: 470 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will the newer 8 rounders work in my older German 220 reliably?

Yes, I have every confidence that they will. I’ve never known their failing to be reliable in any P220.

In my experience the problem with the modified followers that permits loading eight rounds in a seven round magazine tube is that the eighth round is a very tight fit—even tighter than eight rounds in the current magazines (if we can believe it). Like almost any other problematic issue with a firearm, the modified followers worked most of the time. We have a tendency to think about these issues in black and white terms, but a manufacturer isn’t going to market a product that is totally unreliable; that would be obvious in the most limited development testing:
“Hey, boss, this thing doesn’t ever function properly.” “Well, get it out there anyway; maybe no one will notice.” Roll Eyes

Other than the tight cartridge fit, I don’t really know what causes problems with the modified follower, but I suspect that was it. It’s possible SIG would have abandoned that solution to getting eight rounds in a P220 magazine and developed the modified floor plate anyway, but the floorplate mod worked and the follower mod is mostly an historical curiosity these days.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Will the newer 8 rounders work in my older German 220 reliably?

Yes, I have every confidence that they will. I’ve never known their failing to be reliable in any P220.

In my experience the problem with the modified followers that permits loading eight rounds in a seven round magazine tube is that the eighth round is a very tight fit—even tighter than eight rounds in the current magazines (if we can believe it). Like almost any other problematic issue with a firearm, the modified followers worked most of the time. We have a tendency to think about these issues in black and white terms, but a manufacturer isn’t going to market a product that is totally unreliable; that would be obvious in the most limited development testing:
“Hey, boss, this thing doesn’t ever function properly.” “Well, get it out there anyway; maybe no one will notice.” Roll Eyes

Other than the tight cartridge fit, I don’t really know what causes problems with the modified follower, but I suspect that was it. It’s possible SIG would have abandoned that solution to getting eight rounds in a P220 magazine and developed the modified floor plate anyway, but the floorplate mod worked and the follower mod is mostly an historical curiosity these days.

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll buy a couple of new magazines and try them out. Can the new floor plates be installed on the old mag bodies, or are they secured in a different way? The spring secures the floor plate on my mags.