SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 vs. S&W 638
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 vs. S&W 638 Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
I bought my 365 two weeks ago, and today I put my 500th flawless round through it. It is an amazing little pistol to say the least. I have wanted one for about a year now, but wanted to wait for the "bugs" to be worked out of it. Today it is going to become my primary EDC, completely replacing my 638.

I never thought I would be saying this, but This little gem has made my 638 "obsolete". It fits in the same pocket holsters that I have used for years for my snubby, carries six more rounds, with ten more on tap for a much speedier reload. The sights are far better, and coupled with a one inch longer barrel, it is decidedly easier to shoot superior groups, much faster than the 638. The 9mm also supposedly has a little more "oomph" than the .38Spl.

I am more than pleased with this choice!

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with all your points.
But that knowledge of a 638 BANG is just so comforting.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
My 365 replaced a G43, 938 and a Kahr P380.

For just over year and 1500 rounds later, my 365 is still the daily carry/BUG.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Agree completely. My Smith 642 is gathering dust in the safe.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Agree with your logic.

I currently have 2 P365's and 2 J frames but will probably sell of 1 of the J frames as they are somewhat obsolete for me.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the 20th Century pal! Big Grin

Totally kidding of course! Wink I do like revolvers, but they are just so size-inefficient compared to an auto.

On its own, my wife's 686 Nightguard with it's 2.5" barrel doesn't look that big. Until one day I compared it to my P226, and it is pretty much the exact length and height, wider 'cause of the cylinder, and under half the capacity (similar weight with edge to the Smith). I know it's not a j-frame, but it is a short barreled "medium" frame revolver and it is full-size auto in size. Sweet trigger though and she really likes it, all that matters.

P365 will be the next gun I buy...I don't have a pocket gun.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 365 is definitely a game changer. It shoots so well, it competes with guns almost twice its size. It is compact enough, it competes with pocket guns with half the capacity. Were it not for the ability to fire repeatedly while enclosed in a pocket or other close quarters that would impede a slide, the enclosed/covered hammer j frames could be considered obsolete.

Posts: 166 | Registered: September 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
It is interesting to compare the size to that of the P365 to the J-frame. interesting indeed.

But don't sell that j-frame just yet Wink it's an old friend.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'm headed this route as well. Have a Ruger LCR or a HK P30 as my current carry options. My P320 Carry shoots so well that a compact version of it that's as or more portable than my LCR is appealing...especially with the P365 manual safety version on the horizon.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Since you have both, I'd like to request that you take some size comparison shots of the two of them together, showing the length, width, and height differences.

Thanks.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will come back to the j frame. Your 365, while a great pistol is 6 oz. Heavier when fully loaded. The first time you need something light weight for your pocket you will be glad for the airweight all over again.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
With all the advancements in single stack sub compact 9mms - and the advent of the P365 - the 5 shot snub is at the very least, obsolete.

I sold my last J-frame when I aquired my single stack CS9. I have never missed it.

Congrats on your 365 OP! A very fine little 9mm! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have both and carry my 638 more than the P365. The 638’s easy use with a snake load outweighs magazine capacity for my purposes on the ranch.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Okay, but that's a very specific use. Most people carry these guns for use on two legged critters, not no legged critters.

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I have both and carry my 638 more than the P365. The 638’s easy use with a snake load outweighs magazine capacity for my purposes on the ranch.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I was going to say the same...I carry a PM9 or a LC9s daily but when hunting the snake load made my LCR my go to.

Then I started carrying my M29 with 2 snake loads followed by the normal Hornady 300gr'ers.

Works for me.

Still looking for a cheap Bulldog but I think that's just nostalgia speaking......pocket 9s make more sense.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See thread about "interesting malfunction with my P365".
Yep- you will return to the j frame so don't sell your 638

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Obsolete? Snap out of it, gents. The J frame's been around since the 1950s. These are superb little revolvers. No, they're not fun to shoot with +P ammunition, no fun at all. Kinda hard to hit your target at any distance, too. These little revolvers take practice. You don't want to half-ass it if you carry one, and I did carry a pre-lock 638 for many years. I still keep it loaded, and at contact distance, I'll screw up a BG's day.

The only time I've ever experienced a malfunction with a J frame was with an old Model 36 a friend of mine had, that at some point been exposed to moisture. The internals were a bit rusted, I think. Every few rounds, pulling the trigger resulted in the cylinder indexing to the next round, but the hammer wouldn't move, so, no bang. I squirted about a half can of WD-40 into it, dry-fired it a bunch, shook it dry and we were back in business.

Let's have a bit of perspective, shall we? The J frame was in service before most here were born. The P365 is is a puppy that's barely gotten its eye open.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Until I can see the P365 shot and cycle rat/ snake shot, I'll keep my 638 for lawnmower/ yard work duty at least.

2 shots of cci shotshells, 2 shots lawman .38, 1 shot FMJ should cover most things in my yard, at least enough to get me back to the house.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The S&W 340PD and it's sibling, the 360PD, are amazing little revolvers. What are we talking about here...like 11 oz of lightweight .357 power at the ready? Holy Cow, it's darn sure a handful to shoot, but very comforting knowing that kind of power is in your pocket. I carry it with .38 + p though, I figure out of that tiny barrel, it's about all I'm gonna be able to get anyway, plus, it doesn't put your wrist and arm in a sling quite as fast as shooting full power .357 loads through it! I love me some tiny Airweights, especially the Scandium/Titanium Airlite models.

Posts: 127 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
See thread about "interesting malfunction with my P365".
Yep- you will return to the j frame so don't sell your 638

Why... do you think this problem is common to the 365 platform?

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post