SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M17 DeltaPoint Pro Reticle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M17 DeltaPoint Pro Reticle? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
Apparently the M17 pistol is milled for the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro. Per Leupold's website, they offer the sight with either a triangular 7.5 MOA reticle or a 2.5 MOA dot. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know which reticle the military is supposed to be using?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Army hasn't issued Delta Point pros yet. We are still working through the pistol fieldings. I tried pulling the TMs for the pistol to see if the type/NSN of the DPP was listed in the manual, but my LOGSA account is expired. You might be able to dig around the DTIC briefs and see if the PM made any comments about the RDS as part of the MHS project.

If I had to SWAG it, I'd point to the M68 evolution (4 MOA dot to 2 MOA dot) and guess that Army will go with the smaller dot. What I'd like to see them do is another test like they did with MLOK/KEYLOK and CARBINE/MID Length and determine optimal dot size.

SOCOM selected the Trijicon RMR type 2, I don't know the dot size.
Link to article

I'd recommend picking the dot size that's best for your eyes and shooting style. JD Jones has a couple of threads where he mentions them and I've found the sage dynamics videos on youtube helpful. Sage has d one specifically on dot sizes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CD228,

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure what the Army will choose but I think the 7.5 MOA would make the most sense from my layman’s opinion. Quicker targeting using the whole triangle, and using the point of the triangle to make more precision shots.

Posts: 16 | Location: WV | Registered: July 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd recommend picking the dot size that's best for your eyes and shooting style.

Thank you for going to the trouble of looking!

My first impulse was to look at the smaller dot, but Scottcc hit on something when he mentioned using the point of the triangle for more precise aiming. I like the trapezoidal sights on Steyr pistols just because using a pointed front sight seems to make aiming a hair easier sometimes. Having said that, I do tend to prefer smaller reticles to larger reticles and 7.5 MOA seems like it would take up an awful lot of space.

I hope they do wind up testing different reticle sizes (and, to honest, perhaps shapes). As you can tell, my curiosity as to the Army's preference was sparked by not quite knowing which one I'd like better.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
2.5 MOA dot

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post