SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    X Ray Sights Your Thoughts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

X Ray Sights Your Thoughts Login/Join 
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted
Are the X Ray sights a marked improvement over the standard Sig night sights or not? I'm thinking of either buying a P320 Carry X or having Sig install on a P320 I have. Thanks for your input, Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have XRays on a Legion, std. Siglites, Trijicon HD's, and a combination of Siglite rear and Ameriglo big orange/tritium front.

For my money the Xrays are easily the 2nd worst of the bunch. They are better than straight Siglites but that is about it. I really like the HD's but they are really tall. I installed them originally on a 225A1 but on a classic P series they really looked out of place. Shot fine but the aesthetics were all off. Removed them and put them on a 320 and love them again.

All that being said the cheapest and "for the money" best is using the Siglite rear and the Ameriglo front in the color of your choice. I ended up buying a couple more fronts and using the Siglite rear, they make for a really nice combo, and are budget friendly which is a good bonus.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
For my money the Xrays are easily the 2nd worst of the bunch. They are better than straight Siglites but that is about it.

I agree with pedropcola.

I like them better than standard Siglites. But there are several different aftermarket sights I like even more.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
SIGLITE is fine for me. Don't care for Xrays sights at all. Yes, I've owned them.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
For my money the Xrays are easily the 2nd worst of the bunch. They are better than straight Siglites but that is about it.

I agree with pedropcola.

I like them better than standard Siglites. But there are several different aftermarket sights I like even more.

Which aftermarket sights do you prefer?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I like mine. I have them on two of three. Saving money to put on third.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I prefer Siglites to X-rays.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Sig lites over Xrays. The front green dot on the Xrays is great. But the tiny rear dots are hard to pick up, for me.

The Sig lites on our P365 demo gun are much easier to see and use than the Xray sights on the production model 365s that are coming in. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have XRays on a Legion, std. Siglites, Trijicon HD's, and a combination of Siglite rear and Ameriglo big orange/tritium front.

All that being said the cheapest and "for the money" best is using the Siglite rear and the Ameriglo front in the color of your choice. I ended up buying a couple more fronts and using the Siglite rear, they make for a really nice combo, and are budget friendly which is a good bonus.

I have to agree with this. I have tried all of them and stayed with the Ameriglo YELLOW front and SIGLIGHT rear sight combo. I do darken the rears so as to have it blacked out during the day.

The rear still glows in low/no light and it really makes the front glow brighter and helps it stand out more than the rear in low/no light.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Which aftermarket sights do you prefer?

Trijicon HD, although I wish they were a bit shorter.

Also Ameriglo UC.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I prefer them over the standard NS's. I have the U shaped rear on two of my Sig's. Eventually I will have them on all.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Trijicon HD's with an orange front sight. I prefer them because the orange outline shows up in most any lighting, against most any background and is easily seen eve with peripheral vision, because of the wide rear u-noth, and because the rear dots are nearly invisible until darkness, as well as the serrations on the rear that reduce glare. For those who want it, the rear ledge is available for one-handed cycle of the slide, if necessary.

All my glocks have the HD's. I have quite a few Glocks, and carry them, so all outfitted the same. I have them on some P320's.

The x-ray sights are okay, but the front sight is very subtle, subdued, and disappears in lower light or lighter backgrounds. Where the Trijicon HD sights are quite tall, however, the x-rays are lower, less inclined to snag, and the rear sight isn't sharp like the Trijicon. The x-rays also come in different heights, affording a choice in aiming options.

I have the x-ray on Legions and on the P365's. I probably wont' change the sights on the 365's because they're functional and small, which is good for pocket carry. They're not nearly as visible for use, however; I'd much prefer a high visibility orange front.

While the Trijicon HD orange front shows up in almost any light until nearly dark, the x-ray doesn't. There's a transition where the self-luminous function of the tritium in the x-ray hasn't yet been useful, but the sight green x-ray outline isn't useful, when the sights are more of better-than-nothing bumps. At least with the HD's, there's something to see, and the sight outline is pronounced enough that even when facing a brighter lighted background, the sight outline is quite useful. Not so much with the x-rays.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'll be the odd man out and say I really like the X-Ray's. They mimic my competition set up with a green F/O front and plain black rear.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bright orange or green photo luminescent outline on the HD's is fantastic for day time shooting. If you charge the front sight the orange/green outline will glow for 10 minutes or so in addition to the tritium inner vial in darker conditions. I really like HD's.

However, the HD's are stupid tall for some reason that I can't figure out which is why I have journeyed around to my personal solution.

Ameriglo sells a front blade equal to a Sig #6 or #8 that has an orange or green photo luminescent body around the tritium vial. Every source I trust says that Trijicon makes the vial for Ameriglo. It is normal Siglite heights which is why they work with the Siglite rear.

In my mind, the only thing you are giving up is the lack of rear sight serrations and no U notch. I like/prefer the U notch but it isn't a game changer and neither is the rear sight serrations.

As a bonus, the front sight by itself can be purchased for under 50 bucks. By using the factory Siglite rear you get 95% of the performance of the Trijicon HD's at 30% of the price. Solid win in my book.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
I prefer them over the standard NS's. I have the U shaped rear on two of my Sig's. Eventually I will have them on all.

I was thinking the U shaped rear also as it may be easier pickup on a draw. My eyes are getting old and if glasses are knocked off I still need to pickup front sight. This would be for a carry gun. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I think the X Rays are the best factory sights going.

I prefer an all black rear and an easy to pick up front sight (big orange/yellow/green dot, fiber optic...matters not).

I'm not a fan of three dot sights. I'm much faster with all black rear.

The X Rays are great IMO because the front sight is easy to pick up and the rears don't get in the way. If I ever somehow find a need for the tritium, I guess it's there in the rear.

Keep in mind, I think night sights are worthless. As Angus Hobdell once said, the best use of night sights is to help find your gun in the dark.

If I can't see my sights, I can't see my target. I've never found a time when night sights helped me. YMMV.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Looked at them @LGS.

Not bad but personally there are many better aftermarket sight options. Ameriglo is my go to right now. I have some Trijicon HDs but Ameriglo makes things as good for far less IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the caveat of best factory sights is probably true. If you are going to switch them out anyway though there are much, much better options out there than Xrays. The problem with the Xrays is very simple. If you like Xrays the probability is that you want night sights but you want the daytime POP like a FO front sight. Hence the green outline of the tritium ala a Trijicon HD. The problem though is that they went subdued green for their photoluminescent outline.

Odds are if you want the front sight to stand out you want it to stand out. Go look at HD's, Xrays, and Ameriglo front sights, it is no contest. The Trijicon and Ameriglo scream out at you and the Xrays don't. In fact, in some daylight conditions they actually get nearly invisible, they get lost because they are so subdued.

If SIG is actually paying attention they could easily fix this. Make it loud green and offer an alternative color.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
If SIG is actually paying attention they could easily fix this. Make it loud green and offer an alternative color.

Agree completely. Brighter green or orange/red whatever, just make is brighter/louder and it they'd be perfect IMO.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Orange would be great.
I have a set of Ameriglo Hackathorns on my G19 and they grab my eye faster than fiber optics even.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post