SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Conversion Kit Decision Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Conversion Kit Decision Poll Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
I'm currently using my P320 .40 Compact for backup/off duty with a Subcompact frame module for better concealability. But the .40 muzzle flip is a little stout with that combination (it wouldn't be as bad with a .357 Sig barrel, but that caliber isn't approved right now).

So, I'm seriously looking at a 9mm Caliber Exchange Kit to cut down on the muzzle flip and give me more rounds in the magazine. I'm torn, though, on whether to get a Compact slide kit or wait for the Subcompact kits to get back in stock because the slide is a half-inch shorter and might be a little more comfortable IWB.

So:

Question:
Which Kit to Git?

Choices:
Get the Subcompact Kit. It'll be more comfortable and is worth the wait
Get the Compact Kit. You won't notice the extra 1/2 inch

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have played with all the combinations. I like the sc with the compact slide. Spend 12 bucks and get some Xgrip adapters for your spare mags. Great combo.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally, an extra half-inch means poop in IWB carry. I own a P320C 9mm and an extra SC no-rail grip frame. The SC shoots as well as the C grip frame.

I use Sparks VM-2 IWB for several guns. Heck, I can carry a G34 or P226 with no difficulty, and I'm not a very big guy (other than my gut).

Only one instance, based on my experience, that the extra half-inc may matter. Depends on holster, your build and what the half-inch is added to.

1) I have carried GM 1911's and Cmdr length. The extra half-inch (actually 3/4") GM nailed me in the hip bone. Cmdr much more comfortable due to this. No problem with the aforementioned P226 and G34 though.

2) Sometimes a half-inch may affect the draw in a given individual. Not likely in a P320C.

3) Sometimes a slightly longer barrel/slide can be just long enough to show under shorter jackets/shirts when using a belt holster. Again, not likely with a P320C.

Issues arising from a longer barrel/slide are normally particular to the individual and choice of holster, not the absolute length of the pistol.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Get the Compact kit. You won't notice the difference. And if later on you decide that you still want a Subcompact for the slightly shorter grip, just buy a SC 9mm magazine, and put the Compact slide on the SC grip you already own.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted get the compact, but then I carry with a full size slide and a compact grip.

PS: You are right about .357 SIG being much less "flippy" then .40 S&W in the P320.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea I think compact slide SC frame medium size works fine 1/2 inch just doesn't matter.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The compact slide on a SC grip works well for 9mm. Probably would work well for .357 Sig. Below is a photo of that arrangement. I glued pinky extensions on to some of the SC mags. The grip feels very secure now.

Also note that the SC grip is very thin, it is the same thickness as my single stack P239 grip. If you use a compact grip, you can use a belt sander to make the Compact grip thin and concealable. You would need to do stippling as well.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post