SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Change One P320 Night Sight Color?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Change One P320 Night Sight Color? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Love the ever-loving hell out of my P320 FS .45 ACP. Bought it for home defence and as a "woods carry" pistol and I think it's going to be terrific in both roles.

It has Siglite night sights. I really like them.

One little fly in the ointment, though: I suffer from cross-dominance (right-handed, left-eye-dominant). It's not so bad that, with a little occasional "persuasion" (wearing an eye patch over my left eye on-and-off for a couple weeks, occasionally) I can't acquire the sights well, and quickly, under "reasonable" lighting conditions. But, in really dim light, and especially in darkness, those three dots are all over the map, and I sometimes see more than three Frown

I can persuade my right eye to work, but, it's a tedious process, slow and unreliable. Obviously sub-optimal in an SD scenario.

I'm wondering if changing the colour of either the rear dots or the front one might mitigate this?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's always difficult to get meaningful information on stuff like this. Different eyes can have different color sensitivities as well as other physiological problems. When someone replies, all it usually says is what works for THEM. Neither they nor I have YOUR eyes. My guess is that it has nothing to do with the color of the dots, it's something else.

I'm not saying that asking is useless...just keep in mind the limitations.

I spent several years adapting to changing eyes. I've always had to use heavy corrective lenses for my daily activities. As I got older, needed reading glasses. As I got even older, started getting cataracts and glaucoma. All had an effect on my shooting, but I adapted to each stage by making changes to my equipment and/or technique. Have had surgery on one eye and the next will be this year.

The first change in my early evolution was dumping three dot sights, which I used to shoot well with. I blacked out the two rear dots. Eventually the front as well. Then, with blacked out night sights, I later noticed problems shooting in daylight and under fluorescents. Glare off glass vials outdoors and fuzzing indoors under fluorescent lights. Now, I have black/black Heinie's or Warren Tacticals on nearly all my guns. All sight problems now solved.

I'm strictly a defensive shooter and shoot with a number of good shooters in our LGC defensive handgun group. At 74, I'm probably in the top 10-15% regarding defensive shooting performance in fast draw/fire drills. Wouldn't be there if I hadn't made adjustments.

The three dot problem was fixed by...drum roll...not using three dots. That pertains to both contrast and night sights. Same problem you are having, only without the cross dominance. At one point, my three dot night sights were six dot sights...not good. Some do well by having black rear with color on front. Only way to tell for sure with sights is to try them yourself.

I have no issues using black/black on a defensive pistol. Not going to elaborate or argue with other's choices, since that's a different topic. We are fortunate to have low light capabilities on our indoor ranges. If I can see the target at defensive distances, I can hit it. In really dark conditions, use a flashlight. I use a Surefire 9P with Rogers technique. Whatever advantages night sights may have, lighting up the target is not one of them. Some like WML's.

As eyes age, there is a reduction in a whole host of issues related to shooting. Light gathering, distance changes, visual acuity, color sensitivity, etc. My point here is that you may have to do some research and determine what is going on with your vision.

May want to consult with a good ophthalmologist as well. I had one of the best eye surgeons in the business for my cataract/glaucoma surgery in the right eye. Told her I was a handgun shooter/instructor and that sight acquisition was important. She consulted with three other surgeons to calculate the best lens replacement needed to accommodate that requirement.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I know my eyesight isn't what it once was. I wear mild corrective lenses while driving so I can more-easily read street signs and don't follow too closely--esp. at night. I have "cheaters" spread out all over the house, in the car, etc. and even those are sometimes not enough.

The open front sights and RDS' have "artifacts," which may or may not be astigmatism. (I'm thinking not, because it comes and goes.)

The problem I'm talking about is as much an eye dominance issue as the rest of those, though. In this respect I'm one of the lucky ones: My cross-dominance is mild, and I can actually train my brain to at least get me co-dominant, through the use of an eye patch. Well enough that, with any "reasonable" amount of light, I can easily overcome the problem.

The problem in very dimly-lit and dark scenarios is all I see is green dots. I cannot tell which is which. My thinking is that, maybe, if, say, the front dot was yellow or red, instead of green, that problem might be mitigated.

I was wondering if anybody else had tried that? Or if I can even obtain differently-coloured night sights for front or rear, usable with the one or the other of the existing Siglite sights?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two comments:

1) Re cross eye dominance. In our classes, we've found it's better to just let the student use the dominant eye, whichever one it may be. With cross eye dominance you're just talking about a minor change in arm/hand position (compared to non cross eye dominance). It's up to the individual then to determine what he wants to do. I'm not cross eye dominant and have had the same problem as you (misaligning, six dots). I don't think those two problems have anything to do with the dominance issue.

2) Re multiple dot confusion. I'd suggest just blacking out the rear dots with a Magic Marker. Many very good shooters prefer a black rear from the factory. Easier to just pick up on the front with no visual clutter.

3) If you're experiencing multiple dots with your current night sights, you're still going to see multiple dots with different front/rear colors. Instead of six green, you'll see four green and two orange, for example. If the problem is simply misaligning the front sight between the two rear, a different color would obviously help.

Having gone through a lot of vision issues over a couple of decades, here's something many shooters don't realize. Vision changes occur gradually and you don't notice until it makes a DRAMATIC difference in your shooting. The eye/brain is magnificent at adapting...up to a point. You can also experience more than one vision issue and not be aware of the second one. You have to learn what the physiological problem(s) are and adapt to the new reality.

I've always avoided special glasses or other crutches at the range. I'm strictly a defensive shooter and will only wear what I use on the street. BTW, if you have a fuzzy sight picture...don't worry about it. Makes no difference at defensive distances. As long as you can still seem some light on both sides of the front sight, it still works. If you see one fused blob (front & rear sights), it's time to do something. Warren Tacticals (or something similar) work well, since the front sight is narrower than standard.

Finally, if you haven't yet, I'd go to a good ophthalmologist for a full evaluation (cataracts, glaucoma, etc) to see what's going on. I wouldn't use an optician or optometrist...all they do is match lens prescriptions with your glasses. One example: If night sights look fuzzy or some objects look fuzzy at night, it could be glaucoma. The fluid buildup in the eye improperly refracts the light coming through. You need a baseline to start from, hence an ophthalmologist.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post