SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question Re: Ruger Redhawk Headspace
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question Re: Ruger Redhawk Headspace Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
Here's a question for the revolver guys. I recently returned my Ruger Redhawk to the factory for service. In addition to addressing my stated concerns, the work order indicated the technician "Adjusted Headspace". Upon inspection, I immediately discovered some rough file cuts upon the breech face. If you look closely, you will notice these cuts are confined to the area above the firing pin hole. This has resulted in what feels like a non-level breech face surface that dips slightly towards the top strap. To me, this work appears to be somewhat amateurish. Other than being cosmetically unattractive, should I be concerned with this alteration? Thanks!

Posts: 3501 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it’s Ruger. I don’t mean that as a slight. My last Ruger had to immediately go back home to make right. Good news is they will always fix it. Bad news is it won’t look like Les Baer fixed it.

To your point, no you shouldn’t. I suppose you could lightly polish the area to make it look like the gunsmith at least sort of gave a shit but no, functionality is unimpaired. It does look like I did it though. Without my readers. lol

I probably should have asked what service it was returned for? Any particular issue?

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about that. "Adjusted Headspace" is really an interesting term for that fix. But I guess it's technically correct. If it bothers you, just get some 1500 grip sandpaper and polish that a bit and forget about it.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I would not be happy with that. Don't really know why a "technician " would do that, unless the gun was binding up due to headspace so tight cartridges were binding against the breech face. It does look amateurish to boot...

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
Don't really know why a "technician " would do that, unless the gun was binding up due to headspace so tight cartridges were binding against the breech face.

Exactly. My revolver is an older model Redhawk chambered for .45 Colt (not the newer .45 Colt/.45 ACP model). It crossed my mind the tech may have mistakenly attempted to fire it with .45 ACP utilizing full moon clips, though I'm not certain whether or not the .45 Colt only cylinder would even close with a clip of .45 ACP installed. So far though, it's the only scenario I've envisioned which would have caused the cylinder to bind.

Posts: 3501 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
If that was my revolver, I would beg, borrow or steal a set of GO / NO GO headspace gauges and check it myself.
If the cylinder closes / rotates on the NO GO gauge, Ruger owes you a new revolver.

Brownell's has the Clymer brand .45 Colt GO / NO GO gauges in stock if you want to spend $66 plus shipping for the pair of gauges.
Do Not mix brands of gauges, Both the GO and NO GO gauges need to be manufactured by the same company.

Remember, Ruger uses investment castings for virtually all of their firearms. That breech face isn't a machined surface generally, it's used as cast.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1523 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
If they "adjusted headspace" for .45 ACP with a moon clip, It is certainly possible that you have a excessive headspace condition with .45 Colt cartridges.

Unfortunately for you, the only way to check is with GO / NO GO headspace gauges.

NRA Instructor

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Here is a good explanation of where headspace is measured, and how. (on a double action revolver with a rimmed cartridge)

https://www.shootingtimes.com/...dspace_200805/100263

As I stated above, it is possible the technician filing the breech face as shown in your photos can cause an excessive headspace condition.

NRA Instructor

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
. . . get some 1500 grip sandpaper and polish that a bit and forget about it.

Wishing to avoid any further factory intervention, I lightly polished the breech face with fine paper followed by a maroon Scotch Brite pad. Per the above referenced Shooting Times article (thanks cee_Kamp), adding the rim thickness of a spent cartridge case to the distance between the case head & breech gave me a measurement of .064" - which is within SAAMI specs. I think I'm golden though I may break down and purchase the Clymer gauges - if only for peace of mind.

posted Hide Post
Am I missing something on this little unnecessary lecture? I don’t think anyone misunderstood what headspace is. The OP didn’t send it in thinking headspace was an issue and the “fix” looked like a monkey did it with a hand file.

Nice polish btw. Looks much better now than the rest of the gun. Lol

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
hjs157 you did a nice job cleaning that mess up. Maroon Scotch Brite pad is just what this retired machinist would have done. There is a good reason Maroon Scotch Brite is very common in all machine shops I've been in.

Posts: 2678 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I probably should have asked what service it was returned for? Any particular issue?

It was returned to address an improperly fitted trigger guard latch. From the factory, the rear of the latch extended well into the grip-frame leaving very little clearance to remove/install the mainspring strut assembly. Complicating matters, after finally removing the assembly I discovered the trigger guard latch was seized. A quick call to Ruger put me in touch with a service rep who successfully walked me through the process of freeing up the stubborn latch. Upon reassembly however, I discovered there was zero clearance to reinstall the mainspring strut assembly. Not wishing to "force" the latch deeper into it's corresponding recess in the trigger guard, I once again called Ruger for advice. It was at this point they requested I return the revolver for evaluation. At no point did I mention headspace or any other concerns.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I too would be annoyed with extraneous “fixing” especially in the manner that ham fisted hack did. You fixed it well though.