SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger lcr 38 flame cutting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger lcr 38 flame cutting Login/Join 
posted
I have a ruger lcr I have had since since 09 and I have found marks above the barrel shroud which I thought was carbon build up. I have tried clean it with everything under the sun and it will not come off. There is also a small line forming above the barrel shroud that you can see but it's faint. Anyone have any issues like this? Should I contact ruger?

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What cleaners have you tried? Post a picture of the area of concern, maybe.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clp,hops,rem oil, and for reason a
Brake cleaner.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Be curious to see pictures as well. I've had a LCR 357 for several years and haven't noticed anything like you're describing.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can not get this phone to focus on it. It looks carbon build up with a small line going through it. But the stuff that looks like carbon will not scrape off.

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Can you get that section of it soak in a carbon killer like Slip 2000's version.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do have some slips 2000 and I will try itif ruger finds nothing wrong. I got an email back from ruger and they want to see the gun. Guess I will just let them look at it. It's my carry gun when I am at work, so I prefer there be no issues.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I would saturate a patch with Slip 2000 carbon cutter and lay it on the area overnight. I'm not surprised the stuff you tried was ineffective.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I assume the barrel/cylinder gap is within specs (not excessively wide) and even (not narrower at the top than the bottom or vice versa). All revolvers, discounting oddities like the Nagant, are subject to this. Anywhere hot high pressure gas, sometimes particles of unburned powder or off the bullet, escapes is going to leave a mark on the metal. It is worse on aluminum than steel because aluminum is softer. In all likelihood, this will be self limiting and not get any worse.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
What egregore said. Flame-cutting is self-limiting. Perfectly normal especially for hot magnum loads. Not to worry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you shot a lot of lead based or non jacketed bullets? Could it be a deposit of lead there? I get a little on my Ruger Single six after about a brick or so through it. It WILL scrape off - just takes some work. I've sharpened a brass rod for the job.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Actually, Ruger did have some LCRs that had that problem, notably with +P loads. Talk to them. They'll make it good.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Actually, Ruger did have some LCRs that had that problem, notably with +P loads. Talk to them. They'll make it good.

ruger said it was flame cutting and it was normal. no need to send it it.