SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any insights into the M&P 2.0 vs P320
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any insights into the M&P 2.0 vs P320 Login/Join 
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted
Anyone shoot both, or at least play with both, and have any insights into liking one over another? Specific features? Accuracy? Stock trigger?

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I have both, both are great guns. Accurate, reliable, comfortable to shoot, good aftermarket support describes the two IMO. They do have a different "feel", the M&P has a different grip angle. I'm a fan of them both, the 2.0 is a huge improvement over the original also.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have both. I've shot about 2500 rounds out of the 2.0, and have a world of rounds out of the 320. I don't know if I can say that I like one over the other. Both shoot really flat. Both feel good in the hand. The 320, from a mechanical accuracy and practical standpoint, is more accurate. I can get about the same groups at 25 yards with the 320 as I can the 2.0 at 15.

I can't say either are a bad choice.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I have both. I've shot about 2500 rounds out of the 2.0, and have a world of rounds out of the 320. I don't know if I can say that I like one over the other. Both shoot really flat. Both feel good in the hand. The 320, from a mechanical accuracy and practical standpoint, is more accurate. I can get about the same groups at 25 yards with the 320 as I can the 2.0 at 15.

Thank you very much for that insight. May I ask is your 320 a full size, carry, or compact?

Also, do you happen to have any pics of them together?

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Check out jlj's thread on the 2.0.

I have a 320 and M&P9. I shot dryfly's 2.0 today. I can tell you that it was CRAZY accurate in my hand as it was dryfly's. You can get up to speed with that gun in the first 5 rounds you shoot. Very impressed.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by evolution:
quote:

Thank you very much for that insight. May I ask is your 320 a full size, carry, or compact?

Also, do you happen to have any pics of them together?

Don't have any pics, but I'll take you some tomorrow. I've had 3 full sized 320s, and 2 compacts. I had issues with both compacts. I now have the full sized guns only.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:

I have a 320 and M&P9. I shot dryfly's 2.0 today. I can tell you that it was CRAZY accurate in my hand as it was dryfly's. You can get up to speed with that gun in the first 5 rounds you shoot. Very impressed.

I've been too lazy to put an Apex duty carry kit in the 2.0. I'm almost afraid to. I'm afraid if I do, I'll have to buy a five inch gun. Smile

www.opspectraining.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Evolution, another point, that may be a consideration, is that right now M&P guns, mags, and accessories are really readily available. Greg Cote has factory mags for $25, and ACT for $19. Palmetto State runs sales from time to time. I bought 20 mags at $15 each during one of their sales last year in fear that the beast might get elected.

320 mags can be a little hard to find, and pricy.

Maybe not an issue.

www.opspectraining.com

You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
And, I've already got a holster and several M&P Mags from my 1.0

Has Sig been able to resolve the compact issues? I'm comparing apples to oranges as I'm interested in the FS M&P but the Compact 320.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
First gun had terrible extraction/ejection issues. Nothing I tried worked. The second gun, MFG date 10/2016 started peening the barrel hood at about 1000 rounds. It got worse. I traded it to my dealer who sent it back to SIG.

www.opspectraining.com

You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
A little update; I visited two local shops today and played with the 320 FS and compact as well as the M&P 2.0.

I gotta admit, the M&P 2.0 feels a lot more comfortable in my hand, especially vs the 320 FS. That may be a result of previous years of M&P time. At the same time, the new look of the M&P 2.0 is not real attractive, it's pretty effin busy.

The 320 trigger is a very nice feeling trigger. I would venture to say significantly superior or the M&P 2.0.

So which way to go???

I've got several M&P mags and a holster left over from previous guns. I found the 2.0 locally for $420. At that price I can almost afford to buy it just to try it! I already like the Shield, so similar platforms, which is a big issue for me.

At the same time, the 320 trigger is sweet, and it's the new hot thing, plus the 225 and 226 could like to see a cousin.

All things that I can think of considered, I think I've gotta go with the M&P for $420.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I don't know how they shoot, but from the fondling standpoint alone, the M&P 2.0 wins by a mile for me.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I agree with trigger opinions, I think the P320 is better and I can't guarantee my 2.0 will not get an Apex upgrade. However, the 2.0 trigger is *not* bad at all. Here are some lame, impromptu pics..
Edit.. my 320 is a compact model

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:

I've been too lazy to put an Apex duty carry kit in the 2.0. I'm almost afraid to. I'm afraid if I do, I'll have to buy a five inch gun. Smile

That's my plan. The 2.0 5" that Apex had at the NRA show with the duty kit and prototype flat trigger blew me away

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
In the photos posted by dryfly, the 320 looks so much bulkier than the MP 2.0, although dimensions look the same.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Test of S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 4.25" barrel 12 degrees C
Evaluated as IDPA pistol in CCP (under 4.375 inch barrel) category with “iron” sights.
Out of the box: trigger force measured 6 pounds-force (about 27 N) with large over-travel and reasonably short reset distance. Good snap once one overcomes the force required.
Using factory “Medium” grip, I experienced so called trigger-slap and some finger pain. (But see below) Clearly recoil spring is overly stiff as cartridges usable in other pistols were not powerful enough to have good ejection (4.5 grains of WSF and Berry 115 HB). A target load of 4.6 WSF and HAP 115 in WIN cases worked almost all of the time with empty cases not traveling far. Blazer Brass 115 worked every time. All three rounds struck 25 yard target at about the same place and it was possible to have 2 to 3 inch groups at 25 yards with Blazer Brass 115. POI was slightly right of POA - insignificant at 25 yards, but noticeable at 50 yards.
Switched to “Large” grip (wonderful to have all of the needed parts in the box unlike P320) With “Large” grip, trigger finger was placed more favorably (for me) and trigger-slap went away. Heavy trigger made shooting uncomfortable.
Watching and feeling while a round is striped from magazine and inserted into barrel suggests that a hitch exists. A clear bump is felt and seen. The interface between the frame and the barrel ramp may not be as smooth as it should be. Barrel ramp could use some polish, but it is much better than the rough Ruger American’s ramp. The mass with one empty magazine and “Large” grip is 793 grams. Shooting at 10 yard IDPA target using Blazer Brass 115 with about 2 seconds between shots was bad because of the heavy trigger, though the sights are quite good.
So: Either I get rid of the M2.0 as being too difficult to craft into IDPA pistol or I make the effort to re-make the insides with an uncertain result.
Note that I have worked on a M1.0 Pro CORE 5" to bring it up to almost Bullseye quality with Venom red-dot sight. M2.0 are more difficult to work on.
Positives: Good enough sights with POI and POA close; very good grip that can be tailored to individual; sufficiently accurate
Negative: recoil spring too stiff to accommodate lighter expected loads; much too heavy a trigger with large over-travel that results in inherent capabilities not realizable.

Standard caveat: most readers are almost insensitive to the size of the required trigger force. AND Numbers are desirable. Please include when available.

P320C9 and P320F9 with Gray trigger/spring (or if sent to Mr. Gray for his magic) have an acceptable trigger requiring about 4.8 pounds-force to trip. The present big issue is the almost unavailability of other than Medium grips so one’s trigger-finger might not be where it needs to be. I continue to use a P320C9 in IDPA, but the PPQ-M2, TP9SF, and the yet-to-exist P10C are candidates remaining.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post