SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S+W bodyguard 380- any aftermarket drop in trigger parts for it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S+W bodyguard 380- any aftermarket drop in trigger parts for it? Login/Join 
posted
I bought a S+W bodyguard 380, and I chose it over a LCP II as I like the grip/feel of the gun over the ruger. However, after taking it to the range and shooting it, the trigger is beyond horrible. It's heavy and but the weight is even the entire pull, that is all fine with me. The problem I have with it, is it breaks all of the way at the back of the trigger guard, almost causing me to shift my grip or pull the gun a bit as it fires because it's a pocket pistol and the grip is small......bottom line I get about 8" groups with it at 7 yards, even if I'm trying.....no matter what I do, pull the trigger slow, pull the trigger fast...The recoil is no problem with it...….So far I have 100 rounds through it, but my range has an LCP (which I've shot before and didn't like the grip) and they have an LCP II as rental guns, so I'm going to rent the LCP II and shoot them side by side and try it again.

I know Apex makes drop in trigger stuff for the M+P, as well as others. But does anyone make anything for the Bodyguard 380? It's hardly worth the expense to send it to someone for trigger work, I'd rather buy something else and keep it as a back up if there's no remedy.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
This work?

https://gallowayprecision.com/...it-for-bodyguard-380

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may sound snotty - but it’s not! I had a BG .380 for over a year. From a trigger standpoint, they are a POS. I picked up a P238 and carry it with a round in the chamber. Great trigger and 100% reliability. I also carry a KT P32 - which is still an order of magnitude better than the BG. The company calling itself S&W should hang its head in shame for selling the BG. Understand that this isn’t the question that you asked ...

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a SW bodyguard, no safety model, for those damn it's hot days in AZ.
Sent to Galloway. Quick turnaround. He uses his trigger and replaces the internals with steel parts.
The trigger weight stays about the same, but the trigger breaks in the middle. Huge difference.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
This work?

Yeah, except for the price. $100 for a trigger kit on a $250 gun...….or just buy an LCP II for $209 (I saw one on sale for that at Bud's or somewhere) and keep the body guard laying around as a back up...….or buy the trigger kit......decisions....decisions....My range has the LCP II as a rental pistol and free pistol rentals on Tuesdays, so I'll try the bodyguard back to back with the LCP II to see which direction to take......I like the body guard grip, balance, sites, and feel otherwise......

It is what I'm looking for in terms of the trigger breaking in the middle, not all of the waaaaaaaaayyyy back at the trigger guard, according the Mike56's post...….

No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Half the cost of the LCPll if the rental does not work out and with the features of the BG that you like, maybe the pistol you want. Hope it works out.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
Half the cost of the LCPll if the rental does not work out and with the features of the BG that you like, maybe the pistol you want. Hope it works out.

Yeah. I'll try the LCP II first,side by side with the bodyguard then decide......fix the trigger on the SW or buy an LCP II...…..

posted Hide Post
I installed a Galloway trigger in my BG380, and it DOES make a difference, but, in my opinion, the trigger is still way too heavy, which makes it tough to shoot accurately

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the grip and feel of the Bodyguard but I agree it has the worst trigger pull in a small gun I have ever owned. After selling the last Bodyguard I had, I wound up buying an LCP and installed a Galloway trigger. I was skeptical about getting one but knowing Galloway makes some great products for many guns, I gave it a try. I know it is kind of a big expense for the cost of the LCP but what a difference it made on the trigger pull. The weight didn't change but the feel of it did which perceivably made a difference in pull weight.

I wish Ruger would have stuck with making the Custom version only,for the first gen. guns, as to me it has everything you would want in the gun-better trigger and better/real sights. I bought one of those first and my wife liked it and shot it so well, she claimed it as her own.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are good reports on the Galloway trigger. I'm going to go to the range Tuesday and rent the LCP II and shoot them both, back to back. Then decide from there.

How hard is it to install the Galloway trigger parts in the Bodyguard yourself? Or is this a take it to the gunsmith install?

No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, there is a video on the Galloway site. Looks pretty simple. Just be careful, everything seems to be spring loaded. Big Grin

NRA
Georgia Carry

posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with the trigger pull it was designed that way! The heavy, long pull is a result of it being a true DAO trigger. Every trigger pull fully cycles the hammer. You could get a lighter main spring but then you would start seeing light primer strikes. But since the Bodyguard already has a reputation for not firing because of light strikes owners are more likely to make the trigger pull heavier to ensure it fires. That is just the way it is. You need to get a pre-cocked hammer gun like the LCP to get a nice trigger pull.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
There is nothing wrong with the trigger pull it was designed that way! The heavy, long pull is a result of it being a true DAO trigger. Every trigger pull fully cycles the hammer. You could get a lighter main spring but then you would start seeing light primer strikes. But since the Bodyguard already has a reputation for not firing because of light strikes owners are more likely to make the trigger pull heavier to ensure it fires. That is just the way it is. You need to get a pre-cocked hammer gun like the LCP to get a nice trigger pull.

It's not that, it's where the trigger breaks. I am used to firing DAO revolvers and countless pistols. The trigger has to be pressed ALL of the way to the very back of the trigger guard causing you to not be able to grip the pistol properly in order to fire it, you literally have to adjust your grip as your pulling the trigger back. The trigger is bottomed out at the back of the trigger guard, I have never seen a DAO pistol do this. The pull weight and length are fine, if it simply broke 3/8"-1/2" further forward. Everyone I have talked to says the exact same thing about the bodyguard trigger. Try one.

The Galloway kit looks like a royal pain in the ass to install, after watching the video. You almost need 4 hands. But I will probably go that route and it solves the trigger break location problem. It shorterns the pull and reset 35%. There's a reason someone invented that kit.

posted Hide Post
I rented the LCP II today, the trigger is acres better than the Bodyguard's. However, the body guards grip feels better, and I was about equally accurate with both of them...….I actually got fairly good groups with both of them at 7 yards...…..or what I thought for the size of the gun 4-5" if I really tried, most normal groups were around 8". Meanwhile at that range I did a 1.5" group of 15 rounds with my CZ 75 SA, first 5 round almost through the same hole. So decisions decisions......I'm in no rush...….

posted Hide Post
My wife carries one and we recently went to the range several times so that she could get some more practice with it but she really struggles with that heavy trigger. I can barely do any better. It’s a shame because it’s more comfortable to shoot than the other micro 380s.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post