SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Texas Department of Public Safety Selects SIG SAUER P320
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Department of Public Safety Selects SIG SAUER P320 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Seems that it would've been a surprise if they had chosen anyone else but SIG, particularly after that debacle with S&W's M&P and its problems with 357SIG. This contract was SIG's to lose.

Explain the "problems" they had with .357 sig.

Sig and HK seem to be the only ones able to make a durable and reliable pistol in .357 SIG.

Based on DPS testing, their new +P+ bonded duty loads give equal performance with their prior .357 load, including shooting through intermediate barriers. That is important when you shoot lost of suspects in and around vehicles.

This oerformance is maintained with more rounds availible and a slightly lighter gun.

On the admin side, there is not only a cost difference for .357 SIG ammo, even in bulk, but availability is an issue. .357 ammo is not in full time production. Manufacturers only produce runs of .357 SIG A few times a year. Not a big deal for a few thousand rounds but if you need a few hundred thousand for inservive training etc. and your ammo budget money comes late, you are screwsd.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock makes very reliable .357 Sig pistols. Glocks are also more than durable enough.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Rangers still have a choice.
quote:
Originally posted by TheNewbie:
quote:
Originally posted by TxShooter:
New Troopers have gotten fullsize P320s for a couple of years now. They're finally starting to transition the rest of the agency. Rangers in Company B should get theirs over the next month; they were given their choice of Compact or Carry.

What do the Rangers generally carry?

Will everyone have to carry the P320? Will Rangers no longer have a choice?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Rangers will still have a choice. They will be issued P320’s but they have personal discretion as their daily requirements dictate.
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Rangers still have a choice.
quote:
Originally posted by TheNewbie:
quote:
Originally posted by TxShooter:
New Troopers have gotten fullsize P320s for a couple of years now. They're finally starting to transition the rest of the agency. Rangers in Company B should get theirs over the next month; they were given their choice of Compact or Carry.

What do the Rangers generally carry?

Will everyone have to carry the P320? Will Rangers no longer have a choice?

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
I've seen more than a few Rangers in my area and, to a man, they had 1911's (except for one or two that had 226's).

I can't imagine any self-respecting Texas Ranger carrying a plastic gun. Smile

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Unless they are participating in a tactical raid, you won’t see them with anything but a well tuned 1911 specimen Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Photoman:
I've seen more than a few Rangers in my area and, to a man, they had 1911's (except for one or two that had 226's).

I can't imagine any self-respecting Texas Ranger carrying a plastic gun. Smile

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the DPS 320
https://flic.kr/ps/uCXZ3

Posts: 92 | Location: Dallas \ Ft Worth | Registered: September 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post