SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Texas Department of Public Safety Selects SIG SAUER P320
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Department of Public Safety Selects SIG SAUER P320 Login/Join 
Picture of CHLP290
posted
Texas Department of Public Safety Selects SIG SAUER P320
NEWINGTON, N.H., (June 20, 2018) – Today, SIG SAUER, Inc., announced the Texas Department of Public Safety (TXDPS) has integrated the SIG SAUER P320 as its official service firearm throughout its divisions.

The Texas Department of Public Safety is the statewide agency responsible for law enforcement and vehicle registration headquartered in Austin, Texas. The TXDPS is one of the largest law enforcement agencies in the country and is comprised of thirteen divisions including the Texas Highway Patrol, and the Texas Rangers.

“We are proud to continue our long-standing relationship with the Texas Department of Public Safety and honored that they have chosen the SIG SAUER P320 as their official service firearm,” began Tom Jankiewicz, Executive Vice President, Law Enforcement Sales, SIG SAUER, Inc. “The modularity and ability to customize the P320 pistol, combined with the ultimate in reliability and accuracy, made it the right choice for the diverse needs, across all divisions, for the Texas Department of Safety.”

The P320 is a modular, striker-fired pistol available in full-size, carry, compact, and subcompact sizing. The serialized trigger group makes the P320 adaptable to multiple caliber, size, and grip options. The P320 is available in 9mm, .357SIG, 40S&W, and .45ACP, with a choice of contrast, or SIGLITE Night Sights. The intuitive 3-point takedown requires no trigger pull for disassembly, and safety features include a striker safety, disconnect safety, and optional manual safety.

The Texas Department of Public Safety will acquire 4,000 SIG SAUER P320 pistols for official service use throughout the TXDPS Highway Patrol, Criminal Investigations Divisions (CID), Aircraft Division, Executive Protection Bureau, Intelligence and Counterterrorism, Texas Rangers, SWAT, and Special Operations Group.

“To earn the confidence of such a highly revered law enforcement agency is truly a privilege for all of us within the SIG SAUER organization. We value and appreciate the opportunity to assist the men and women of the Texas Department of Public Safety in carrying out its mission – to protect and serve the citizens of Texas,” concluded Jankiewicz.

www.sigsauer.com

US Army Veteran
Proud NRA Member
Sig P229 40 Cal.
Sig P290RS 9mm
Sig P320C 40 Cal
Sig P365 9mm
Sig 516G2 Patrol
Sig 716G2 DMR
Sig MCX Virtus 300 BO
Benelli M4 Tactical Shotgun
Savage Axis II XP 30-06

Posts: 92 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: April 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9X19, or .357 Sig?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Seems that it would've been a surprise if they had chosen anyone else but SIG, particularly after that debacle with S&W's M&P and its problems with 357SIG. This contract was SIG's to lose.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
9mm
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
9X19, or .357 Sig?

Posts: 13809 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
Get ready for a fresh batch of surplus P226R DAK's in 357 to hit the market.

Some enterprising company could make some real money by selling a readily available 9mm conversion barrel for all the surplus .40 and 357 P226's on the market right now.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Man, I thought DPS has had P320s for a long while now.....

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

They had 9mm M&Ps for a while but ditched them and went back to the 226 fairly quickly.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The M&P9 had limited fielding while in transition. In April 2014, Recruit School A14 experienced malfunctions during Recruit firearms training, which at rate, deemed unacceptable and the director at the time (McCaw) suspended the transition to the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. S&W couldn’t immediately resolve the issues and the search went forward for a replacement with TXDPS temporarily returning to their P226’. The P320 was selected after a multi entry pistol trial, late 2015
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:

They had 9mm M&Ps for a while but ditched them and went back to the 226 fairly quickly.

Posts: 13809 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

They have. TxDPS has been issuing P320s to some of their officers since late 2015/early 2016, and they already have several hundred of them.

Not sure why the big announcement, all of a sudden. Might just be that they're in the process of switching everyone else over to the P320, rather than continuing to field a combination of their older P226s alongside the newer P320s.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought Troopers already issued the P226 DAK could keep them if they wanted to. I very well could be wrong.

I'm one of the few that would prefer the DAK P226. While I had rather have a 9mm, for ME, the DAK P226 is the better duty platform between the two.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if they are department marked, i will be standing in line for one of the P226 Trade-ins when they hit the market(haven't seen any yet).

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Seems that it would've been a surprise if they had chosen anyone else but SIG, particularly after that debacle with S&W's M&P and its problems with 357SIG. This contract was SIG's to lose.

Explain the "problems" they had with .357 sig.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The M&P 1.0 has severe problems with sear bounce in guns chambered in 357. It occurred in every agency that adopted it. The tolerances on some guns were so bad that some would have three or four “dead” triggers per magazine.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, I remember when they adapted the P220 .45 American release and Sig had to create a new follower so the German 7 round magazine - became an German 8 round magazine.

How time flies.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
The M&P 1.0 has severe problems with sear bounce in guns chambered in 357. It occurred in every agency that adopted it. The tolerances on some guns were so bad that some would have three or four “dead” triggers per magazine.

NCSHP was one of those adopters who experienced it and went back to Sigs. Link. This article identifies the problem as extractor issues.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The TxDPS M&P’s that failed in 2014 were chambered in 9mm. They exhibited both a high number of FTE /FTF’s. I believe the issue was eventually identified as a chamber tolerance issue. TXDPS has never had an issue with the 357Sig cartridge itself.

posted Hide Post
New Troopers have gotten fullsize P320s for a couple of years now. They're finally starting to transition the rest of the agency. Rangers in Company B should get theirs over the next month; they were given their choice of Compact or Carry.

Posts: 104 | Location: East Texas | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TxShooter:
New Troopers have gotten fullsize P320s for a couple of years now. They're finally starting to transition the rest of the agency. Rangers in Company B should get theirs over the next month; they were given their choice of Compact or Carry.

Will everyone have to carry the P320? Will Rangers no longer have a choice?

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Rangers still have a choice.
quote:
Originally posted by TheNewbie:
quote:
Originally posted by TxShooter:

Will everyone have to carry the P320? Will Rangers no longer have a choice?

posted Hide Post
quote:

They have. After the M&P fiasco, they started issuing P320 9mm to new Texas Highway Patrol recruits in 2016.

They are now phasing out the P226 .357 for other DPS LE such as DPS CID Agents. They recently had the opportunity to buy their old duty guns.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post