SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P239 .40 S&W Barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P239 .40 S&W Barrel Login/Join 
posted
I've been looking for a .40S&W barrel for my P239 chambered in .357Sig lately. I can find a P239 9mm and a P239 .357Sig barrel all day long at good pricing. But a P239 .40S&W barrel seems like a real odd piece. Did Sig make so few of the P239's in .40S&W that the aftermarket didn't participate much in a .40S&W barrel for it?

I bought a .40S&W barrel for my P229 many years ago. I've never used it, but I find having it available is a good thing. It seems no matter how many ammo shortages we go through, .40S&W ammo has always been plentiful and at good prices.

Your insight appreciated.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What exactly is not good pricing? I see a bunch for sale?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're seeing a bunch of P239 barrels in .40S&W for sale I'll need to up my game. Thank you.

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TN Mark:
I've been looking for a .40S&W barrel for my P239 chambered in .357Sig lately. I can find a P239 9mm and a P239 .357Sig barrel all day long at good pricing. But a P239 .40S&W barrel seems like a real odd piece. Did Sig make so few of the P239's in .40S&W that the aftermarket didn't participate much in a .40S&W barrel for it?

Or, Maybe, the P239 in .40 was so popular, most aftermarket purchases were for OTHER THAN .40 barrels.
I have one in .40 so I have no interest in another .40 barrel.
If you buy a P239 in 9mm, you can't swap in a .40/.357. So the main purpose of solo .40 barrels are for .357sig users which I think fall behind in sales vs. .40S&W and also, until recently w/ ammo availability, fall behind in the desire to add a .40 barrel.
Just my thoughts.

If you don't mind the price, this is where I got my 9mm barrel. https://barsto.com/product-cat...uer/sig-239-barrels/

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
You really are not supposed to swap out a 9MM P239 barrel with a 40 or 357 sig.... the slide and spring are different... Side is even heavier...
I've found the other direction does work...

I have a 40cal barrel I might be willing to let go of but If I did it probably would have to include the two 40 cal magazines too... and I might not be willing to part with those for a 'reasonable' price... but I will entertain an offer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blume9mm,

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Did this a few years ago.
I originally bought a P239 SAS DAK in .40 around 2007.
After the P239 was discontinued I patiently looked around and found a .357 barrel and a 9mm slide and barrel. They were not giveaway prices, but reasonable. It took me about two years to find all of this in clean AND reasonable forms. (Ebay and gunshow). (I could have had them instantly if I wanted to pay premium).
They all work perfectly and accurately. If you want to do this you may have to be patient as these are weird-ass times.
The reward will be having a very versatile firearm.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was looking was told that most P239 sold were in 40 S&W.... I bought a 357 SIG barrel and a couple magazines for mine shortly after getting the handgun.

I have not seen any available either... I would go to a couple of the larger SIG dealers like Top Gun Supply, Osage County Guns, Midwest Gun Works, etc...and even if out of stock and backordered...submit a notification for when they are back in stock. I would also call to see if there is by chance one in back in bin unaccounted for....

Posts: 64 | Registered: July 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information.

I have a P239 in 357 Sig. I wouldn’t mind getting a 40 S&W barrel for it. As you know, both rounds work fine in the same magazines and both rounds use the same recoil spring.

I also have a P229 in 357 Sig and bought a 40 S&W barrel for that many years ago. Over the years as ammo is either sparse or plentiful, 40 S&W has been easy to get and reasonably priced.

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Did this a few years ago.
I originally bought a P239 SAS DAK in .40 around 2007.
After the P239 was discontinued I patiently looked around and found a .357 barrel and a 9mm slide and barrel. They were not giveaway prices, but reasonable. It took me about two years to find all of this in clean AND reasonable forms. (Ebay and gunshow). (I could have had them instantly if I wanted to pay premium).
They all work perfectly and accurately. If you want to do this you may have to be patient as these are weird-ass times.
The reward will be having a very versatile firearm.

It's a very handy set up.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
pulicords, that is a pristine firearm...

These barrels can still be found (both new and used). It just takes a little more work, given the 'rona circumstances.
Outside of Armslist, Gunbroker and eBay I would look for gunshows where folks show up with parts tables.
(I love and miss the old school gun shows where these sellers showed up instead of Taiwanese tool vendors). Unfortunately we had some shows scheduled in this state but they were cancelled. I'm hoping that we can have some shows soon-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
One thing T N Mark..... 40 cal rounds will not go in the factory 357 sig mags but 357s will go in the 40 mags.... the 357 mags have an indent for the necking on the cartridge....

Now that I'm thinking on this... too bad Sig did not have a .380 version in the P239.... or they should have made even a 22lr conversion too....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blume9mm,

Thank you for the clarification and correction. My P229 magazines are labeled for both 357 and 40. But all my P239 magazines are only labeled for 357. Therefore I’ll go back to the local store that had a nos P239 magazine on their 50% off table that’s labeled 40S&W. Hard to pass up for $20.00.

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blume9mm,

Thank you for the clarification and correction. My P229 magazines are labeled for both 357 and 40. But all my P239 magazines are only labeled for 357. Therefore I’ll go back to the local store that had a nos P239 magazine on their 50% off table that’s labeled 40S&W. Hard to pass up for $20.00.

If that is the case, I would run, not walk to that store as P239 mags are hard to find at decent prices.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw if Friday before they closed so if it’s still there on Tuesday morning when they reopen I’ll change it’s location.

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The reason is the P229 mags are 'double' stacked... and the P239s are of course 'single' stacked.... same with P226's 40&357 are the same.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I have one. I'll have to dig it out of my barrel hoard.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P239 40 mag was still their waiting for someone to bring it home. So I did. It was still in it's original plastic bag then placed in the old style blister pack that is easy to open and close. The oem grease on the mag is still heavy on it.

Sometimes I think I'd be better off getting a P226 in 357Sig to complete my trifecta than to buy what's needed to run 40S&W in the P239.

Then again, I did buy my first P239 40 magazine today.

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Of course once you buy the magazine you have to buy the barrel at least.... then again, another gun would be better....

Sig p226 in 357 is a nice shooting pistol, I shot my legion on Tuesday.... when I was proving the newest P239 in 357 that came in..

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:

I bought a .40S&W barrel for my P229 many years ago. I've never used it, but I find having it available is a good thing. It seems no matter how many ammo shortages we go through, .40S&W ammo has always been plentiful and at good prices.

Do you still need the Barrel? I can't find your email address.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just sent you an email. Thank you.

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org