SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P226 Stainless vs Alloy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P226 Stainless vs Alloy Login/Join 
posted
I am looking at purchasing a P226 in either full stainless or alloy stainless. Both are the Elite series guns. In checking prices the all stainless is $400 more. My question is why? Features seem to be the same?

Thanks

Posts: 140 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Steel frame SIG P226/P229 versus aluminum alloy frame P226/P229 are typically more expensive with similar features. The frame material and manufacturing the frame probably cost more. The stainless steel models often have wood grips too that add to the cost versus plastic grips.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could also be a production volume thing. Steel frame, due to weight, is more conducive to range use than carry. Probably not as much sales demand, hence higher unit cost. Sure, they can be carried, but are very HEAVY compared to alloy frame. About a half pound difference.

I've carried full size alloy frame Sigs for a couple of decades. I've never had any interest in a steel frame for carry purposes. IMO, the extra weight isn't really needed in a defensive handgun. At least it is available for those who want/need one.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. The P226 stainless/alloy Elite (Talo special run) weighs 33 ounces vs 42 ounces for all steel models. I've had in the distant past a couple of P220's (one all nickel and one stainless Elite) in a brain lapse traded them off. I'm enjoying handgun shooting more as I get older and now have a couple of Glocks, a couple of 1911's and 2 S&W revolvers. I heard someone say the other day every handgun collection should have ag least one Sig so that's why I'm wanting to pick one up.

Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
10-4. My P226 and P229's are .40. I've never had any recoil/control issues that would require a heavier gun.

Some competition shooters using a nine may find the weight beneficial in reducing splits.

The classic P-series are wonderful pistols. However, they are slowly (or rapidly) being displaced by striker fired guns. IMO, for defensive or normal range use, the P226 doesn't require the extra weight. Especially in 9mm.

Personally, if I was deciding, I'd consider the Legion series P226 before a steel frame for about the same money. Among other things, a smoother DA, which is important in a DA/SA. Other than that, even a less expensive base alloy frame P226 is a pretty good shooter.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I do not mind the weight for carry, with a good 1.75" belt, so the all steel guns appeal to me. I do not have P226's at all, but two P220's (.45 and 10mm), and the extra weight of all steel really tames them down. They are both a real pleasure to shoot.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My take: since classic SIGs are range guns for me, I actually prefer the added heft and weight of the steel frame versions. It's not really needed to reign any kind of harsh recoil in any of the main calibers compared to using an alloy alternative, but the steel frame does dampen the pulse noticeably for me and makes getting back on target just a bit faster.

While I don't own a stainless P226 but I do have a couple for the P220; the 45AUTO recoil with those two is a lot like shooting slightly stout 9mm. The design of the classic P-SIG itself lends itself to managing the recoil well, but the stainless variants makes the pulse even less of a distraction, if there was something to be concerned about to start with. I've been looking on and off for a German-frame 40S&W P226SSE for a while now, and I do think that compared to alloy 40S&W SIGs--I own a 40S&W P229 and have enjoyed it greatly--the live fire experience is marginally a bit more pleasurable with the stainless version.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In looking at Buds Guns website I found (2) P226 stainless alloy models. Model 226RASE with 10 round magazine capacity and rosewood grips weighing 34 ounces. The other was E26RASE with 15 round magazine, walnut grip, 32 ounces and SRT trigger. Other than the obvious magazine capacity difference what is the difference between these (2) pistols? Thanks!

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cladd:
In looking at Buds Guns website I found (2) P226 stainless alloy models. Model 226RASE with 10 round magazine capacity and rosewood grips weighing 34 ounces. The other was E26RASE with 15 round magazine, walnut grip, 32 ounces and SRT trigger. Other than the obvious magazine capacity difference what is the difference between these (2) pistols? Thanks!

Capacity is the only difference between the two.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Capacity may allow the 10 round version to be sold in some communist states.

Posts: 6918 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Capacity may allow the 10 round version to be sold in some communist states.

Thank you, Capt Obvious. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect answer as to why the 10 round magazine - I just called Buds Guns and the (2) models are identical other than magazine capacity.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perfect answer as to why the 10 round magazine - I just called Buds Guns and the (2) models are identical other than magazine capacity.

For future reference, in current SIG's coding, when you see the "E" that starts the Part Number, it's a full capacity model. No "E" in front = 10-rounder model.

Q

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
I've got 5 stainless steel elites. (3) P229 and (2) P226. IMO they are the best guns Sig makes. I like the weight. I want a gun that feels like a gun. I've also got a P229 Legion and just a plain jane P229 (circa 1995) They are all 9mm except the 1995 P229 which in .40 and it's the only 40 I have left. (I have probably 50 handguns)

It will be a sad day indeed if Sig ever quits making the traditional P series guns. I have zero interest in a P320 or any other striker gun. And I've owned about all of them at one time and still have a couple. (Glock 19/S&W M&P9)

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post