SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P230 for EDC???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P230 for EDC??? Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
The more I carry my new (used) P230, the more I'm falling in love with it! The last one I had I didn't get to keep long enough due to discovery of cracks in the frame, so I didn't bond with it like I have this one.

Now I'm wondering, can I make this my new EDC gun? I certainly would love to! It's the perfect size... not too big, not too small. Weight is just right. It fits my hand perfectly with the original stock plastic grips. Capacity is adequate for personal concealed carry, especially if I keep a spare mag on me.

Downsides are fairly numerous though... no service or support through Sig on this model any more, so I better pick up a spare if I want to practice with it! Where the heck do I find spare maintenance parts such as springs? They're not listed on Sig's website anymore; not even for the P232 which has only been out of production for two years!!! Yes, I can get recoil and hammer springs from Wolff, but what about all the others that eventually need replacing? Also, if you want night sights, you gotta get a P232 and not the P230... so that's something I gotta consider, and those are even more expensive than used P230s now, and going up every day!

Holsters are no issue since I make my own these days, and I'm okay with the latest state-of-the-art .380 self-defense ammo. Yes, it is wimpy compared to .357SIG or 10mm or .45ACP, but it'll still do the job compared to what it used to do, and I do not feel unarmed with it.

Am I nuts? Have I gone off the deep end? Because I look at what I just wrote and sure think so... Eek

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I'm an SAO guy, so my choice is the P238.

* Soft recoil.
* Easy-to-rack slide.
* Good Patridge sights w/ tritium dots.
* Current production.
* No hammer or slide bite.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
There are members here with a parts stash, so post a WTB if you have a specific need. I recently sold two P230 springs to a member so I can't help, but others may.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
There are members here with a parts stash, so post a WTB if you have a specific need. I recently sold two P230 springs to a member so I can't help, but others may.

Not really a specific need YET, but it would be nice to have one set of spares on common maintenance springs if I intend to keep this little gun, which I most certainly do! Ten or 15 years from now if a slide catch spring or trigger bar spring breaks and I don't have a spare on-hand, it will be MUCH harder to find one if I can't even find one now through normal channels...

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I'm an SAO guy, so my choice is the P238.

* Soft recoil.
* Easy-to-rack slide.
* Good Patridge sights w/ tritium dots.
* Current production.
* No hammer or slide bite.

If I liked SAO, and carrying cocked-and-locked, I'd certainly consider one, or a 938 for that matter, but I don't like either so both models are ruled out for me.

Regarding slide bite... unlike the PPK/S that I used to own, the P230 has never bitten me, even when I've given it ample opportunity by shooting single-handed, weak-handed, limp-wristing (trying to induce failures), etc. I kept the PPK/S for a very short period of time after I figured out how quickly it would slice me open, but the sweet little P230, both my previous one and this one, after several hundred rounds combined, I've had zero issues in that department! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I picked up a 1st Gen P230 a couple of months ago off of GB. A kind forum member sold two new mags to me. The trigger has a little too much lateral play in it to suit me - prolly fine but I'm anal about stuff like that. I just ordered a new blue trigger and trigger pin off of Gun Parts. They have a surprising number of blued parts still in stock:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/g...-pistols-sig/230-sig

As far as carrying - I would be more comfortable with a P230/232 than a P238 - if the 238 is cocked and locked. So, I just carry a Smith 442 which is lighter anyway. I think you'd be well-protected with your P230. Kind of a side-bar - I noticed yesterday that SIG will still replace barrels on P230's ... although very pricey at $279-ish + shipping.

Edited to add: they have blued trigger bars in stock but trigger bar spring is oop-so ... Frown

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Do you shoot it well? Does it carry well? Does it carry and conceal well enough for you to wear it all the time?

If yes to all of the above, congratulations on finding your sweet spot. Enjoy!

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A P230 was my BUG for years. Shot it quite a bit and no problems with parts breakage. No indication of any long term use problems. I mainly shot standard ball for range use and carried the old Silvertip load for the street. Holsters (think PPK) were easy to find too. I would not hesitate to EDC a P230 / 232.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
My P232 is my daily carry.

Love the gun and shooting it. I actually carry it with a ClipDraw.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Police Trade-In about 18 months ago. I had Sig reblue it. Came out like it was coated but looks fine. Added a new recoil spring and some G10 grips and my 230 shots like new. Got a kydex holster but have never carried it. My P320c or Shield 9 are dailies

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Do you shoot it well? Does it carry well? Does it carry and conceal well enough for you to wear it all the time?

If yes to all of the above, congratulations on finding your sweet spot. Enjoy!

It shoots very well and carries perfectly, and concealability is very good whether in my front pocket or IWB. Even better to me is the completely natural pointing... when I draw and point towards my target, THEN look at my sights, my sights are already aligned near perfectly! It is simply a completely natural feel in my hand and perfect-pointing pistol... much more so than any other I can remember in a long time. I was originally a little concerned about not being able to add night sights to it until I tried the natural point experiment, and when my sights were on target each and every time, I quit worrying about it!

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:
I bought a Police Trade-In about 18 months ago. I had Sig reblue it. Came out like it was coated but looks fine. Added a new recoil spring and some G10 grips and my 230 shots like new. <<snip>>

Mine is supposedly a police trade-in also, but if so, it was carried very little and shot even less. The exterior shows little wear for a 1993 (KD date code) model, and the internals are nearly pristine with practically no wear on the slide / frame rails, barrel, slide lock lever, feed ramp, etc. If it's had more than 200 or so rounds through it in it's lifetime, I'd be totally shocked!

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I havea 232 I love, but for its' size, I can carry nore gun, like a P225.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with putting your 230 into the carry rotation. I carry my 232 Stainless when working as I am in a warehouse and it is smaller. I rotate between that and my 224, 239, or 229.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to carry my blue P232 quite a bit. It is a wonderful pistol in a less than wonderful caliber. It points so well. I like the factory grips, too.

It is very disappointing to hear that Sig is no longer supporting the P232.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I havea 232 I love, but for its' size, I can carry nore gun, like a P225.

I have owned quite a few P225s (the originals, not the remakes), and P6's, and while they are extremely close dimensionally on paper, there is still a huge different in reality regarding bulk and the overall perception of size because of that bulk!

Yes, the 9mm parabellum cartridge is quite a bit more powerful than 9mm kurz, but as stated above, using the latest technology in self-defense ammo, I do not feel "under-protected" with it. While it would be nice if it were a full-house 9mm, or at least 9x18 mak, I'm still okay with it being what it is... Big Grin

For a thread drift, go look at how many different names there are for the exact same round... when speaking of the .380 ACP cartridge! I picked up two boxes at my favorite LGS this afternoon labeled "9mm Browning Court"; same as .380, same as 9mm kurz, same as.... oh go look'em up, it's more fun that way! Razz

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
<<snip>>

True, and I just don't get it! It's not like the gun has been out of production for many years!!! Mad

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
<<snip>>

True, and I just don't get it! It's not like the gun has been out of production for many years!!! Mad

Agreed

Posts: 75 | Registered: June 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I carry my 232 quite often and feel well armed. To me it feels a lot more concealable than a 225. I think it is a great shooting gun and there is a lot of good defensive ammo out there now.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post