SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Requesting simple drills or sources thereof
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Requesting simple drills or sources thereof Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I'm going to start shooting drills beginning with very simple variations. I'm going to start practicing drawing and dry firing at home, but I would like to gather a few very simple live shooting drills so that when I go to the range I won't just stand there and shoot targets like I always do (tremendous fun, but a wasteful use of perfectly good ammo). Combined with beginning some formal training, I'm looking to increase skills and proficiency. For example, I found a "3x5 Card Drill" on the internet, which is about the level I need to start with, and it looks like a lot of fun. It also doesn't require a lot of dynamic mental computing. That's important for me right now because I want to work on basic skills, without worrying about what my next move is in the next half second. The only restriction is that I can't do any moving around at the range, I'm still shooting in a narrow booth at either range that I shoot. I participated in an IDPA event once, and while it was fun, I was a wreck because I had no practice drawing and firing, and no where near enough skill and practice to be moving around at anything that looks like speed. Most of you guys probably know where I'm at regarding shooting; lots of revolver shooting beginning in the 70s, pistol, some rifle, hunting, collecting, lots of clays shooting, and lots of shotshell, rifle, and pistol reloading. My problem is, I'm not trained or proficient with handguns as it relates to CC, self defense, moving, escape and evade, etc. So to start, I'd like to stop shooting targets and start simple handgun shooting drills.

Any specific drills or advice appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Dot Torture Drill: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7010030424

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Try some from Kyle Lamb. He has lots of drills on YouTube. Just search Viking Tactics pistol drills. Most are static. Do them at home as dry fire drills. When you can smoothly draw, fire, change mags, etc. then you are ready to try them at the range. Just disregard the ones where you shoot on the move. I like to practice at home with dry fire but my wife thinks I'm a little crazy. Big Grin

Once you get started you'll find lots of drills and IDPA courses of fire on the web. Enjoy.

Triple threat drill

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://pistol-training.com/drills

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good sources all.
A friend has a card listing such drills that can be done on a lane rental range.
That way, when she gets to an IDPA or USPSA match, she can concentrate on getting through the stages; the shooting is there.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pat MacNamamara has a book out titled TAPS: Tactical application of pistol shooting that contains drills. It can be a little over the top with some of them.

Trident Concepts has a deck of cards that are all drills:
https://www.tridentconcepts.com/product/tacost/

The dot torture drill is awesome and very humbling.

You can also shoot the triple nickel, 5 shots, five targets side by side, five yards and the different versions of that.

You can also go on Youtube and look up Ken Hackathorn's drill of the month. CSAT (Paul Howe) pistol instructor standards are on you tube as well, you can dissect that into a number of individual drills.

the classic bill and failure drills are also on youtube.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
http://pistol-training.com/drills

That's a great group of drills. RIP TLG.

For anyone that's not familiar, Gabe White continues to carry the torch and updates the PF site with weekly "drills of the week". It's a great resource for students of the pistol.

https://pistol-forum.com/forum...7-Drills-of-the-Week

t

Posts: 280 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post