SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 226 tach ops 9mm recoil compared to same in 40?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 226 tach ops 9mm recoil compared to same in 40? Login/Join 
posted
Is there a noticeable diffference in the two? I have the 40 and I love it. Is the 9mm a little thinner/slimmer if that's the right term? Thinking about downsizing.
Thanks

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with the TACOPS, but I do have standard P226s chambered for both 9mm and 40 S&W. Their sizes are the same, but the 9mm slide weighs a little less (~1.7 oz) than the one for the 357/40 model because more material is machined away from inside. Part of the answer about felt recoil must include what specific load is being fired. A convenient way to compare recoil is to calculate the “power factor” of a cartridge, and in 9mm that can range from ~126 for common 115 grain training ammo to 149 for 124 grain +P Gold Dot. The PF of the 155 grain 40 loads I shoot runs about 185, and that’s obviously significantly greater.

The felt recoil between my P226s chambered for 9mm and 40 is noticeable, but it doesn’t have a marked effect on my shooting. In rapid fire strings at close ranges my split times don’t differ very much.

On the other hand, expect to get differing opinions on the questions. Many people believe there is a huge difference in felt recoil between the two cartridges and that that can have a major effect on one’s shooting ability—especially in what I’ll only describe as … unusual situations. Look at the discussions about the 40 S&W cartridge, and as someone who is comfortable with the round you may be entertained if nothing else.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recoil is always a personal thing. Like sigfreund I don't have a tacops but do have 226/229/239 in both .40 and 9mm. I can tell for sure which cartridge I am firing but I don't notice any material differences in my speed or accuracy. The usual way this question is asked is going from 9 to .40 and the person is worrying if it will bother them. But if you have a .40 and are going to a 9 you will for sure notice it is less and you could also pick out which gun you were shooting in a blind test but shooting a 226 in 9 is completely pleasant.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 tacops in .40 and a old school west German P226 in 9mm.
There is definitely a difference in felt recoil between the two. My 9mm is easier to shoot once I get past 12-15 yards anything below that distance and I find them evenly matched.
When shooting them back to back I have to get adjusted to the recoil of the .40sw.
Regarding grip thickness on a P226 tacops in 40SW and one in 9mm, I believe they're both the same.
I bought hogue G-10 magwell grips and they are virtually the same thickness as the stock plastics grips. The regular G-10 grips are thinner then the stock plastic ones though.

Off topic a little, but if you want to convert your tacops into a 9mm Bar Sto has conversion barrels to do so. It's a lot cheaper then buying another gun. I plan on converting mine over eventually......maybe. Cool

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 tacops in .40 and a old school west German P226 in 9mm.
There is definitely a difference in felt recoil between the two. My 9mm is easier to shoot once I get past 12-15 yards anything below that distance and I find them evenly matched.
When shooting them back to back I have to get adjusted to the recoil of the .40sw.
Regarding grip thickness on a P226 tacops in 40SW and one in 9mm, I believe they're both the same.
I bought hogue G-10 magwell grips and they are virtually the same thickness as the stock plastics grips. The regular G-10 grips are thinner then the stock plastic ones though.

Off topic a little, but if you want to convert your tacops into a 9mm Bar Sto has conversion barrels to do so. It's a lot cheaper then buying another gun. I plan on converting mine over eventually......maybe. Cool

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Tacops in 9mm and a standard .40 226. I have arthritis in both hands. The 40 has more recoil, so I mounted a light on it. Problem solved and I have a nice home defense unit that my wife also enjoys.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Simple answer is. Yes there is a very noticeable difference in recoil between a 9mm P226 and a 40 P226.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
It's noticeable. The 40 isn't bad at all but the 9 mm is very light.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally don't like the character of .40 recoil in any platform. It seems to have a very strong recoil impulse (that is, graph the force and the initial peak is very high and very soon in time), even compared to 357SIG and 10mm loads out of my Glock 20.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
It's noticeable. The 40 isn't bad at all but the 9 mm is very light.

Yep. This right here.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I've always agreed with the popular assessment that .40 is very "snappy"

That said I used a G23 for my EDC for a long time and had one of the first P229s in that flavor. The .40 will be more felt recoil but in the P226 package it's not bad at all. I think you will really like it in 9mm, it's tamer

If your looking to downsize, try a P229 or the P225, or a compact P320, all very enjoyable and shootable in 9mm

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Another thing to keep in mind about questions like this posted on the Internet is that although you asked about a specific gun model, not everyone will answer appropriately, or even mention what gun(s) they’re referring to when they offer an opinion. The first Glock I fired was chambered for 40 S&W and although that was many years ago when my hands were much stronger and suffered less chronic pain than now, shooting it hurt my hand to the point that a full magazine was more than enough. If I had been required to use a Glock as a duty weapon, I would have definitely chosen a 9mm model as well as expressing a strong dislike for the 40 cartridge.

Different guns can have large effects on one’s perceptions of felt recoil, but that’s often a factor that’s ignored in these discussions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. I use 180 gr.instead of 165 because I want weight to be more effective. I realize also that shot placement is the key of course. If I did change to the 9mm, what grain would you recommend? Im not a big guy, 5'8",150#, and my arms and wrist are small and I'm sure that's part of it. The tach ops I have now is actually the second one I have owned in the last six years, and I have a few thousand rounds under my belt. I have always practiced self defense style with some standard target shooting at ranges to 25 yards; different drills. I carry for protection EDC, and I practice for that. I'm pretty good, but I always have a few that " get away" 3-5" off where I'm aiming,and that's what bugs me. I know it's trigger control and speed, and now I'm thinking it's recoil possibly. I use primarily upper torso silhouette targets and focus on chest and head shot placement.98% get into the body, even out to 10-12 yards, but the "few out of POA, is what gets me". arrrh. Just got in another thousand rounds to use and I'm ready to go again. Sorry for the long post Sig, appreciate the response guys and this is why this forum is so great. I actually don't even go anywhere else. I have put the time and effort in to practice and become a better shooter. Lots of chl holders don't. They carry for " look at me" pride. I take it serious. Even shooting out of my truck(windows down of course). That's great practice and takes serious safety concerns about what you are really doing. If anyone decides to do that, practice that first dry firing and all that's involved in that till you get comfortable; that is something completely different from the norm.
I am en ex law enforcement officer and that's where I learned to shoot; back in the days of the revolvers.
Any new suggestions would be appreciated.

posted Hide Post
I found it interesting that the recoil on the 9MM Tacops was less than a standard P226 in 9mm. SAME AMMO!

Didn't make sense to me, but it was noticeably there for sure. Same 9mm ammo on both.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to try that.