SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P290 Magazine release - low profile?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P290 Magazine release - low profile? Login/Join 
posted
I have a P290 that has given me only one problem, and it's kind of important: the mag release button protrudes about 1/8" from the grip, but only requires about 1/32" of travel to release the magazine. I've many times now taken the gun off at the end of the day to find that the magazine had been released by pressing against the holster.

I've looked for a low-profile mag release online, and found people talking about such an animal, but can't find it for sale anywhere.

Does anyone know of a source for the low-profile mag release button?

My temporary fix: I swapped the button to left-hand mode so it's clear of the holster.

What I won't do: buy a new pistol.

What I don't wish to do, but will if forced: dremel and re-blue.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would evaluate the holster you’re using.

I prefer depressing the magazine catch with my index finger, so because I’m right-handed I move them to the right side of the gun. Years ago when I first started carrying a P229 in a Galco holster, I experienced the same problem. The holster covered the mag catch and any pressure on that part of the holster would release the magazine. As I recall Galco later changed the design of that model, but my solution was to cut away a bit of the leather so it was no longer on top of the catch; the catch fits into the notch I cut. That cured things and I’ve had no problems in the 15 or so years since.

Hard plastic or composite holsters often cover the mag catch, but they’re designed so that pressure isn’t transferred to the catch while wearing them in a car, etc. The Blackhawk SERPA holsters I have, for example, make depressing the catch literally impossible unless someone took a hammer to them.

Modifying the mag catch itself might work, but if you can depress it with your finger, then it will always be possible for it to be depressed by something else. That might also make it much more difficult to depress when you need to in a hurry.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, there was a factory fix for that. Have you called SIG?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought about doing a little leather tweaking, but I figured I'd just end up butchering the holster for no purpose, so I dropped the idea.

I'd seen references to the lower-profile catch, but it doesn't look like anyone here has any leads. I'll have to contact Sig and see what they say.

Thanks for answering!

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post