SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My Quest for a Full Underlug .44 Magnum
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Quest for a Full Underlug .44 Magnum Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking for a specific design of .44 and wondering if anyone can steer me toward one short of custom work or a Taurus Tracker. I'd like it to be a S&W or Ruger. I can find images of what I want doing an image search on Google, but not an actual saleable unit. Am I trying to find a unicorn?

I want it to be:

• .44 Magnum
  • blued finish
  • full underlug
  • double/single action
  • barrel of 4-6"

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
S&W made a lot of them. Classic DX but I am not sure if that is stainless or blue. I had a limited model of their first run, Classic Hunter. I loved the blue but still had it hard chromed. On GB, search Classic Hunter or Classic DX in Model 29. They are a beautiful revolver.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I used to own a blued 8” S&W Classic full underlug. Hated myself for trading it away Year’s ago. Dan Wesson also made them, not anymore. You’d have to source a nice used one. No full under lug Ruger in the lengths you’re proposing that I can find.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This belongs to my son. I think it is a S&W 29-5 Classic.

GOOGLE Broome's Firearms in Fitzgerald, GA. Harvey Broome has a knack for locating high quality, discontinued firearms. He is not the least expensive dealer in GA, but you will not meet a more honest man. Buy from him with complete confidence.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Some were as short barreled as 6.5" and had a 4 position adjustable front sight with black Patridge blade front, more like a target sight.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Colt Anaconda was made in 4", 6" & 8" but only in brushed stainless

Posts: 38 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Registered: February 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm ok with a used gun as this will be a woods gun to wear on my hip when I'm working at our property in black bear country.

The silly reason for it being blued is that I have a Ruger 77/44 that's blued so I want it to be blued as well.

I'm finding a few based off your guys' suggestions, but not quite what I want yet.

Thanks for the info.

Don

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Some were as short barreled as 6.5" and had a 4 position adjustable front sight with black Patridge blade front, more like a target sight.

Silhouette model, on 6" for the 686 (I have one) and they put them on the 10" 29's (but not full underlug)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colby Bruce:
This belongs to my son. I think it is a S&W 29-5 Classic.

GOOGLE Broome's Firearms in Fitzgerald, GA. Harvey Broome has a knack for locating high quality, discontinued firearms. He is not the least expensive dealer in GA, but you will not meet a more honest man. Buy from him with complete confidence.

You're right about the 29-5. Just found a beautiful one, but it's in Florida and he only wants FTF transaction.

Sigh, the quest continues...

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Full Underlug .44 Magnum

I googled it and found several on ArmsList

you might try there

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
http://www.lipseys.com/itemdet...spx?itemno=RUKRH444F

Not blued, but still might be what your looking for.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

Silhouette model, on 6" for the 686 (I have one) and they put them on the 10" 29's (but not full underlug)
Hi lyman, I too had the 6" Model 686 with this sight. Gave it a go with PPC practice. The 10 5/8" Model 29 had it but its front sight blade is finer in width than the shorter barrel guns. It remains one of my all time most loved Model 29s. Funny you posted of it as I saw many of them on line for sale today.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
When I got my full underlug 29-5 Classic most dearlers around here were only stocking stainless because it was hot at the time. The blue full underlug ones were just not very common in the era they made them as far as I know.

I wanted a 29 in 5" barrel in blue had to order it. Luckey for me the dearler went out of his way to get me one. He had to make a bunch of calls. Just so happen S&W had some left of a run of 5" 29s.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I agree with looking for a Dan Wesson with the heavy barrel.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Might try Collectors Firearms in Houston.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you wanted stainless I could of helped you out 2 weeks ago . I sold a 6" 629-4 for $750.00 .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 29-5. My only handy photo has a 357 in there too, sorry about that ;-)

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 453030:
Another vote for the 29-5. My only handy photo has a 357 in there too, sorry about that ;-)

I'll take that bottom one if it's a 8 shot 627 .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
I'll take that bottom one if it's a 8 shot 627 .

8 shot 627-PC Lew Horton indeed. 357 Magnum is my favorite handgun caliber.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Great gun, I love mine. I think they called them the "Classic Hunter." Its a Model 29-3. Came with Hogue finger groove grips with S&W emblem. I changed to those in the photo as the finger groove grips don't fit my hand.

Posts: 230 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post