SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Followed My Home (Finally)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Followed My Home (Finally) Login/Join 
Picture of martowski
posted
I decided to stop by a random small pawn shop two nights ago when I had a few extra minutes. The handgun case was pretty sparse, as is the case these days, and I didn't expect to see much more than a Hi Point or maybe a well used overpriced Glock. Much to my surprise, this little gem was sitting in the case with a price tag that screamed "buy me now because I'll be gone in two hours!" Of course, I did what anyone would do and took it home as my own. Smile

It's a P220 (of course) and, based on looking at other pistols in the serial number list, I'm guessing this one (G285XXX) was likely made around 1997. Slide is marked "Made in Germany" but there are no proof marks or date codes. Guessing this means the slide is German but the frame is US? Anyone have any insight?

Anyway, happy to finally have a P220. I've thought about getting one over the years but just never have. Until now!

Posts: 109 | Location: Dallas, TX Area | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Solid guns. Everyone should have one.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Very nice. Solid guns. Everyone should have one.

That's what Mrs. Flash told me years ago and insisted I buy one.

Now I've got 5 of them. I guess they're reproducing in the safe.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
You won't regret it. A gift of one from my new wife many years ago started my sickness. My ninth is in the mail as I speak.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Other than proof marks and three serial numbers, you’d be hard pressed to find any performance difference between this and an “all German” variant. It might even be a CPO gun, given the pristine looking finish, grip screws, and low wear on the barrel breech. You did quite well if the price made you feel like you stole it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
My first SIG was a 220, just a few years younger than yours.

After reloading a lot of .45APC ammo, I decided to break it out with my other 45s. Man, I forgot how much fun this pistol was to shoot!
So much so that I located some .45 HST ammo and occasionally carry it now.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martowski:
I decided to stop by a random small pawn shop two nights ago when I had a few extra minutes. The handgun case was pretty sparse, as is the case these days, and I didn't expect to see much more than a Hi Point or maybe a well used overpriced Glock. Much to my surprise, this little gem was sitting in the case with a price tag that screamed "buy me now because I'll be gone in two hours!" Of course, I did what anyone would do and took it home as my own. Smile

It's a P220 (of course) and, based on looking at other pistols in the serial number list, I'm guessing this one (G285XXX) was likely made around 1997. Slide is marked "Made in Germany" but there are no proof marks or date codes. Guessing this means the slide is German but the frame is US? Anyone have any insight?

Anyway, happy to finally have a P220. I've thought about getting one over the years but just never have. Until now!

Very nice and it has German frame and German slide but assembled in USA. Mine is probably a year older than yours and has been a flawless pistol for me.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The 220 has always been and continues to be my favorite SIG pistol by far.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
220 a great Sig, what was the price to snag it?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The 220 has always been and continues to be my favorite SIG pistol by far.

Same here. Even over the venerable P226 and my trusty Legacy P229.
I carried a full size P220 IWB for years. Shot the snot out of it. Then got into glocks, lured by capacity and lightweight.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Looks like a beautiful specimen - enjoy!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
My only regret about the 220 is that the 9mms and .38 Supers are now far too expensive for me to be able to tell people they're crazy if they stop once they've gotten a .45.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Now I've got 5 of them. I guess they're reproducing in the safe.

You ain't kidding. My safe has a few more than 5 in it Wink

That's a nice looking 220 martowski. Congratulations on the pick up.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

My favorite vintage for sure.

I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine addition to the Family

I have been shooting and carrying a P220 since the late seventies.

Very fine firearms

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of martowski
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! To answer a couple questions, I don't think this is a CPO gun as it came in an older style gray case with Sigarms in a circular pattern. I think this was a pistol that basically sat without being used for a number of years. In terms of price, I got this for $419 plus tax which I felt was a pretty good deal especially in the current crazy market where people are buying stuff up left and right.

I've already ordered an E2 grip kit and Wolff mainspring pack since the E2 kit will have the plastic mainspring housing. Of course, I'll be keeping all the original parts as well to ensure they don't get separated from the pistol.

Really excited about this one. When it comes to .45, I've been a pure 1911 guy (with one short-lived FNP 45 exception). But I've always had my eye on the P220s.

Posts: 109 | Location: Dallas, TX Area | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You all have no idea how nice it is to read that I am far from the craziest guy, when it comes to buying multiple examples of the same gun. I recently inherited my first 220 when my father in law passed and his son kindly let me pick out a few from his father's safe. After just one trip to the range, I was hooked. My second did not come much after that. I had a Canik sitting in my safe that was pretty surely never going to see the light of day and the local shop had an experienced 220 hit the display case. A quick trade later, the SIG was mine......2 and counting. Love the first one as much as the second.
Thanks for the validation, LOL.
LaMont in AZ

Posts: 41 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$419, huh? How can you sleep at night knowing you stole that pistol? Wink

Seriously, very nice score. You're going to love it.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of martowski
posted Hide Post
I know! But I stole it for what they were asking, so everyone was happy! Smile

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
In terms of price, I got this for $419 plus tax which I felt was a pretty good deal
Uh, yeah, you could say that. I paid $700 for mine in nearly new condition a few years ago. It was worth it.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post