SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    **UPDATE with range report**I am becoming a pistol optic fanatic...New Kimber Aegis Elite Pro IO
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**UPDATE with range report**I am becoming a pistol optic fanatic...New Kimber Aegis Elite Pro IO Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
Ever since I put my first RMR on a Glock 19 I haven’t looked back. I have been looking for a 1911 cut for an optic and came across this Kimber at a gunshow. I used to be a Kimber hater but recently I have had good luck with their guns. This model is new for 2018 and features a stainless steel slide and frame, checkered front strap, round butt, no FPS (no Schwartz), and is cut for optics. This particular mode comes with a 6MOA Vortex Venom. The mounting plates will be available from Kimber for $50. I’m think of switching out the Vortex for a DeltaPoint. The mounting plate has an integral co-witness rear sight. I wasn’t crazy about the slide serrations or the factory VZ grips so I replaced them with a nice set of Walnut Raasco grips.

The gun itself is impressive for the money. Nice crisp 4.5lb trigger, tight lockup, and a slide to frame fit that will rival most Les Baers. I ordeeed it from Grabagun.com for $1145.

I will get it to the range tomorrow. This is the 45 version not the 9.

A family photo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nice little thumper!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beauty!

I have an 5" Aegis in 9mm and it is a shooter, I'm sure that one is too.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your Kimber. Like your collection.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Very nice family portrait. Cool

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Optic extends the range over iron sights but iron sites get on target faster.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:

I don't know about optics on handguns, because I don't have any, but on rifles, optics (RDS) are on target pronto, compared to iron sights.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:

It’s funny because the fastest gun I have to get on target with irons is my bedside gun...it’s a Glock 19 I pieced together that has a Dueck Defense RBU with night sights. Since the site radius is only 2.5 inches or so it gets onntarget real fast. At 7 yards I can make them all touch too so I’m not losing a ton of practical accuracy.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Here is the Kimber with the optic removed

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Cool! The red dots are growing on me as well.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3599 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Cool! The red dots are growing on me as well.

Delving into the option for the first time myself too now....another rabbit hole no doubt lol.

Nice pistol OP, good to see more factory slide cut options arriving.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Wow! Very nice! Looks like a sickness, and I think I am at risk here.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
Hey Dusty,
Can you tell us a little more about your likes and dislikes with the Dueck Defense unit? I’ve considered one of these a time or two, but can’t convince myself to do it.
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. Finding that slide mounted dot takes a bit more time than with irons. Not much but in a competition setting where tenths count it's proven.
I still want at least one pistol with an RMR though. Big Grin
That's a fine looking pistol there, Dusty. You got great taste.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Bought a used 1911 and it came with a C-more Serendipity red dot. That thing is amazing.

I didn't think I'd get too many optics, but now I am a believer in them all the way.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Went to the range and the good news is that it was very accurate and never experienced any failures. Bad news is that the ejection is very erratic. I got dinged in the face or head at least twice per mag. Fired a total of 200 rounds of mixed Blazer brass, S&B, and WWB. A few times I caught line drives right to my glasses...thank god for polycarbonate. I cleaned the gun and tuned the extractor. Will give it another shot this week.

10 yard group unsupported. Not bad considering I was ducking shells while I shot Smile

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevo1967:
Hey Dusty,
Can you tell us a little more about your likes and dislikes with the Dueck Defense unit? I’ve considered one of these a time or two, but can’t convince myself to do it.
Sean

No real dislikes. The optic will sit high on the slide as it’s not actually milled Into it but otherwise it’s a well made piece and even without the optic it’s very accurate.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
10 yard group unsupported. Not bad...

Not bad at all. Looks like you have a winner on your hands. Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice Kimber. Looks like a good shooter once you sort the BTF issues. Wish I could run a dot on a couple of mine, but my eyes make the dots all blown out. Better off with irons for the time being...
On a side, what do you think of the 17L?

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by Sevo1967:
Hey Dusty,
Sean

No real dislikes. The optic will sit high on the slide as it’s not actually milled Into it but otherwise it’s a well made piece and even without the optic it’s very accurate.

Thanks Dusty! I’ve also considered the Atom mount. Can’t make up my mind. I’ll have to shoot a red dot pistol before I really make up my mind if it’s worth it to me or not. Thanks for the input!

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post