SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228R, may have found one
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228R, may have found one Login/Join 
Picture of The_Watcher
posted
Of the P228R models. Which is the most desirable one? Assuming the the triple serialed? What about the US M11 model that is etched out with QR Code looking etchings?

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The_Watcher:
Of the P228R models. Which is the most desirable one? Assuming the the triple serialed? What about the US M11 model that is etched out with QR Code looking etchings?

I'd say, the German made and proofed, triple numbered, P228R, is most desirable.

Then, the German made, US assembled, single number on frame, with "US" "M11" etched out on right side of the frame.

Lastly, the plain Jane P228R.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
desirable is somewhat of an ambiguous term in this context and since afaik sig has never made any information about production numbers available so rarity is just a guess. Me personally I would rather have the M11 model, given its history providence.
Of course in the general scheme of things sig a triple serial one is normally the one to have as 12131 says but this is an odd case.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate to get one of the less than 50 that came out of Newington a while back. While it's a safe queen, I'll never let that one go.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
I was fortunate to get one of the less than 50 that came out of Newington a while back. While it's a safe queen, I'll never let that one go.

Those are the M11Bs (non-etched), non-railed. Not the etched out "US" M11" railed P228 OP talked about.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
desirable is somewhat of an ambiguous term in this context and since afaik sig has never made any information about production numbers available so rarity is just a guess. Me personally I would rather have the M11 model, given its history providence.
Of course in the general scheme of things sig a triple serial one is normally the one to have as 12131 says but this is an odd case.

Actually, not much is known about the etched out "US" M11" P228R to us outsiders. And SIG is unwilling to divulge the info, except that they etched out those markings in order to release the guns on the commercial market. So, one internet speculation is that SIG might have intended the P228R for some military outfit(s). But, things didn't pan out, so they had to obliterate the markings before selling them commercially. One thing for sure, as far as I know, the P228R was never officially adopted by any military organizations.

Q

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Say it ain't so! A rail on a 228? The horrors.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the P228R something of a factory Frankengun? They had some leftover stamped steel P228 slides, slid then onto new production P229 frames, and send them out the door.

Are these now considered collectable.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Wasn't the P228R something of a factory Frankengun? They had some leftover stamped steel P228 slides, slid then onto new production P229 frames, and send them out the door.

Yes. Most of the P228Rs were released in 2009. Another small batch was released in 2011.
quote:
Are these now considered collectable.

I wouldn't consider them collectible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
P228R (2009) with "US" "M11" etched out: (Now belongs to another SF member)

P228R (2009), plain. Original grips replaced with Hogue G10 Piranha: (Now belongs to another SF member)

P228R 2010 (BA), all German made and proofed, triple serialed:

Q

Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
Yep, my German made 228R has the rail. It looks like a 228 slide placed on a 229 frame. Probably what it is. Shoot well but no better than my American made Sigs. I do like the look though. Wouldn't mind an older 228, like a West German made 228.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post